• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carl zeiss 10x40 binoculars (1 Viewer)

Woodcock1965

I managed to obtain a really good pair of Carl Zeiss Binoculars the other week for the correct money I think. They say they are t p model and made in West Germany. Condition wise they are excellent, no marks or scratches on any of the lens.They were provided with the case also.I'd just like to know what our member think both of the quality and build, plus viewing performance. Does anyone know what money they go for nowadays please? I'd love some feedback.
Good Luck, David.

Cannot speak to the UK market, but here in the US a price of $700-1000 seems plausible, based on the Ebay listings.
By all accounts these are still excellent glasses, light and bright with a good FoV. They are not as robustly waterproof as more recent models, but I think they will not let you down unless you're birding underwater.

By all accounts these are still excellent glasses, light and bright with a good FoV.

Good - yes. Very good - perhaps, in the right sort of conditions. I'd say they're still very competent binoculars with good performance, but modern medium quality bins like the Conquest 10x42 HD are better optically. The old 10x40 Dialyt has better build than the Conquest though. But the optics of the dialyts isn't anywhere close to modern alphas. Not really.

They are not as robustly waterproof as more recent models, but I think they will not let you down unless you're birding underwater.

If you're birding in heavy rain and use the focuser you may draw water into the binoculars. This may lead to condensation forming inside the prism blocks. Having them changed is a very costly business. Been there done that, in my case with an 8x30 BGATP. No need for underwater birding.

So yes, you can use them, but you need to be a bit more circumspect in (really) bad weather than with a fully waterproof pair.

Hermann

Good - yes. Very good - perhaps, in the right sort of conditions. I'd say they're still very competent binoculars with good performance, but modern medium quality bins like the Conquest 10x42 HD are better optically. The old 10x40 Dialyt has better build than the Conquest though. But the optics of the dialyts isn't anywhere close to modern alphas. Not really.

If you're birding in heavy rain and use the focuser you may draw water into the binoculars. This may lead to condensation forming inside the prism blocks. Having them changed is a very costly business. Been there done that, in my case with an 8x30 BGATP. No need for underwater birding.

So yes, you can use them, but you need to be a bit more circumspect in (really) bad weather than with a fully waterproof pair.

Hermann

Wow, you must have been out while it was really pouring!
I've used my old 8x30 BGATP in all sorts of weather and never had a problem. Still, it helps to learn from others experiences.
Thanks and I'll be a bit more careful in the future. :t:

Hi,

over here in Zeiss country 10x40 BGATP seem to be a bit more frequent - the going price seems to be around 600€ - one lucky guy won an auction at 350, a collectors piece went for 1099.

I once could compare a fellow birders BGATP to my SE and we agreed that the SE had the edge in sharpness on axis and in the field, the latter due to flattening. The Zeiss has a bit wider field. Brightness and stray light behavior was good for both in difficult lighting. Still a competent pair of bins in my opinion - if it cost as much as a new Conquest HD, I might choose the Conquest though.

Regarding binocular use in heavy rain - if it's really pouring, my porros go into a plastic bag in my backpack... everything below that is fine.

Joachim

Last edited:
Zeiss 10 x40

A great many thanks to all members who kindly replied back to my original question regarding the Zeiss binoculars. The Binoculars are in superb condition and after perusing many of the same models on (Ebay)these are certainly the best regarding condition wise.
After reading certain comments regarding the binoculars in question and their use in wet weather, i'm not too concerned due to the simple factor in that I have other pairs to use in more harsh or bad weather conditions.
However ,I will of course treat them like all my other binoculars with the respect they need; but put them to the use of which there intended.
Also another question to other members. Would you advise myself to send them to Zeiss in the future for an all round service?

A great many thanks to all members who kindly replied back to my original question regarding the Zeiss binoculars. The Binoculars are in superb condition and after perusing many of the same models on (Ebay)these are certainly the best regarding condition wise.
After reading certain comments regarding the binoculars in question and their use in wet weather, i'm not too concerned due to the simple factor in that I have other pairs to use in more harsh or bad weather conditions.
However ,I will of course treat them like all my other binoculars with the respect they need; but put them to the use of which there intended.
Also another question to other members. Would you advise myself to send them to Zeiss in the future for an all round service?

The Zeiss support here in the US has been excellent, as well as free except for the postal charges.
My 8x30 Classic had developed a floppy hinge, it was restored to perfection. The work also included a general cleaning of the glass.
If Zeiss UK is run similarly, I'd certainly take advantage of their service.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back