• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings from Snowy Northern Minnesota! (1 Viewer)

wseidel

I'm new to the forum and, yes, you read correctly...we had snow overnight and freezing rain/snow is forecast throughout the day! The feeder this morning was bustling with slate colored juncos, white-throated sparrows, nuthatches, chickadees, purple finches and the occasional red squirrel. We live in the woods along the Knife River within three miles of Lake Superior - beautiful country with an abundance of wildlife. I enjoy hiking, biking, hunting, fishing, sports and eating dark chocolate with my wife. We are blessed with four grown sons....and one grand-daughter!

I joined the forum for two initial reasons:

(1) I have acquired a like new Zeiss Diascope 65mm Angled Spotting Scope that I'm looking to sell and need to know an approximate price. It has a 15-45x eyepiece, Vanguard 323 Abeo Plus tripod (with two heads - pan and ball) and an SKB padded case. Literally brand new (no dust on lenses, no body handling marks). I know the model has been discontinued but interested in a fair price to advertise it at...let me know if you have an idea regarding value.

(2) I am seriously looking to upgrade to a better binocular from my Nikon Monarch 8x36. Though they have served me well, I see an incredible difference when I look through Swarovkis/Zeiss/Leica, etc. I would prefer an 8x42 for general use. I looked hard at the 8.5 EL but couldn't handle the rolling ball effect...and, of course, the price was high even for the year-old model. What should I consider - Leica Ultravid Plus (or Trinovid), Zeiss HT, Swarovski SLC, others?

Thanks for any help on either front.

God bless,
Wayne

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum and from me in sunny Myrtle Beach :t:

I've moved your thread to the spotting scope section where you are likely to get more answers. I've also subscribed you to this thread so you'll get notified when someone posts. Enjoy ;)

While I've had poor luck selling here, it's still probably the best place to sell optics.

As far as selling your scope, you might want to rethink that. I've only recently started using a scope and wonder why it didn't occur to me to do so years ago.

As far as binoculars, I have both the Victory HT's in 8x42 and Conquest HD's in 8x32. I'd had the Conquest HD's in 8x42 but the eyecups and their replacements were so problematic that I gave up on that model and Zeiss upgraded me to the HT's. I have not looked though Zeiss' SF binoculars but I have never looked through a better pair (brightness, clarity and sharpness, focuser, ease of view) as the Victory HT binoculars. I take my 8x32 HD's more often when I go for walks but the HT's are used always at home and around the property.

I understand that the SF line have field flatteners like the Swaros and I could not abide using any of the Swarovision binoculars and I suspect the SF's would give the same rolling ball effect. The HT's do not do that.

Thanks, CSG. I've heard great things about the HT (just one of many in your collection!)...especially from a hunting perspective. Have you ever compared it to the Ultravid Plus or the newer Noctivid, by chance? Also, I appreciate the confirmation that the HT does not suffer from the rolling ball effect.

I have not made a side by side comparison of the HT's to the two Leicas you mentioned. I haven't even seen the Noctivids in the flesh. Honestly, at these price ranges, I think a lot of it comes down to how a certain pair fits your eyes and how they otherwise handle. Other than the field flatteners, I suspect most alpha binoculars of the same size and magnification are pretty freakin' close. I've liked various Leicas and Swaros but there's always one little thing that didn't work for *me*. I love the 8x30 Swaro CL's but their FOV is too narrow for their size. While I chose the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32's, plenty of people chose the CL's over the Conquests.

I agree, CSG, that the "fit" of a particular binocular is so personal - physical fit, eyesight, intended purpose - not to mention a bit subjective. Thanks again for your words of wisdom as I'm still contemplating stepping up in price to a truly nice pair of binoculars.

While it's nice to own a pair or two of alpha binoculars. That extra 2-3% over the good midpriced stuff (like the Zeiss Conquest HD line) costs a LOT of money. Like with audio gear, those last few bits costs you bigtime.

I could be completely content with my Conquest 8x32 but once you do a side by side, you're sunk. ;) But then the HT's are cheap compared to those Noctivids!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back