• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New scope from Zeiss... (1 Viewer)

Better pic of the new Zeiss Scope taken from Twitter. Full details should be released on Friday with the opening of Bird Fair 2017.

Lee

Attachments

• DG3OPcXUQAAHqYF[1].jpg
    DG3OPcXUQAAHqYF[1].jpg
    436.6 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:
The scope looks quite long, perhaps means better CA control at the edges than some others.

Hi,

would be nice, but I think it's rather that Mme Zeiss is fairly small... looks like the scope is about twice as long as the SF (which looks enormous on her) if we disregard the extended dewcap... so that would make 350mm and change...

Joachim

Hi,

would be nice, but I think it's rather that Mme Zeiss is fairly small... looks like the scope is about twice as long as the SF (which looks enormous on her) if we disregard the extended dewcap... so that would make 350mm and change...

Joachim

I estimate 420mm about same as ATX

Lee

Lee,

Agree with you about arguing, but speculation is always fun. The first photo you attached is pretty directly from the side, which allows a measurement of both the total length of the scope (L) and the outside diameter of the objective end (D). Their ratio allows calculating the overall length once D is assigned a reasonable value based on some educated guessing. My first guess is based on measuring D on my ATX 95 (110 mm), and this would give an overall length for the Zeiss of 49.5 cm. If the Zeiss would have slimmer bodywork and armoring, it could perhaps have a D of 105 mm which gives L as 47.3 cm. D = 100 is stretching it for a 95 mm clear aperture in an armored body, but if that were possible it would give L = 45 cm.

ATX with lens caps on comes to ca 43 cm and with the EXT 1,7 attached, ca 48 cm.

So the Zeiss seems to be a little longer, but really only about 2-3 cm. This makes no difference one way or another in practice.

What will make or break this new scope is how free of aberrations the image will be, both in the cherry specimen and in the average to below average specimen. There will always be visible quality differences, but keeping them small enough is key.

Kimmo

Maybe I am missing something but don't I still see a ribbed knob on the eyepiece for zoom adjustment. If so then the two helicals could be course and fine focus...at least in that list pic above. I didn't look at the others yet.

Maybe I am missing something but don't I still see a ribbed knob on the eyepiece for zoom adjustment. If so then the two helicals could be course and fine focus...at least in that list pic above. I didn't look at the others yet.

I lean toward that it's not fine/course focus. But I won't eat any hats...

The older fixed 30x EP from Zeiss is also ribbed and the new victory EP looks very short, compared to the old 20-75x zoom.

Not sure about patent infringement on the ATX though...
but I guess Swarovski buy their glass from Zeiss...so they won't try anything...o:)

Attachments

• Zeiss_52_80_66_DiaScope_30x_40x_Wide_Angle_Eyepiece_678905.jpg
    Zeiss_52_80_66_DiaScope_30x_40x_Wide_Angle_Eyepiece_678905.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Lee,

Agree with you about arguing, but speculation is always fun. The first photo you attached is pretty directly from the side, which allows a measurement of both the total length of the scope (L) and the outside diameter of the objective end (D). Their ratio allows calculating the overall length once D is assigned a reasonable value based on some educated guessing. My first guess is based on measuring D on my ATX 95 (110 mm), and this would give an overall length for the Zeiss of 49.5 cm. If the Zeiss would have slimmer bodywork and armoring, it could perhaps have a D of 105 mm which gives L as 47.3 cm. D = 100 is stretching it for a 95 mm clear aperture in an armored body, but if that were possible it would give L = 45 cm.

ATX with lens caps on comes to ca 43 cm and with the EXT 1,7 attached, ca 48 cm.

So the Zeiss seems to be a little longer, but really only about 2-3 cm. This makes no difference one way or another in practice.

What will make or break this new scope is how free of aberrations the image will be, both in the cherry specimen and in the average to below average specimen. There will always be visible quality differences, but keeping them small enough is key.

Kimmo

Hi Kimmo

Speculation is welcome! Zeiss will need to compete not only with Swaro ATX but also Kowa 883.

If as seems possible from lack of zoom ring on eyepiece then objective lens zooming may bring unique optical benefits so the battle may not be simply about control of aberrations.

Lee

Frank

I may be wrong but I associate ribbing at the base of an eyepiece with being able to grip it securely during mount/dismount.

Not long now to find out one way or the other...

Lee

3:)

speculating is fun, but not knowing is annoying, please bring on the leaks from the Zeiss head quarters, this is worse than torture...:-O

Yes, but when the torture stops it is soooooo nice :t:
I won't be on-line at Bird Fair so won't be able to post, but I expect the main info will be available from tomorrow morning.

I will post impressions when I get back on Monday next week.

Lee

The two rings resemble the "dual speed" focuser on this Minox scope:

http://www.minox.com/index.php?id=md_88_w_overview&L=2

Nice find Henry. Pity Minox doesn't appear to be attending Bird Fair this year. However, Zeiss had split slow/fast focusers in the past then combined them into one, so splitting them again would be a step backwards.

So we have had one 'it looks like a Swarovski' and now one 'it looks like a Minox'. Any votes for any other brands?
Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back