• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss repairs (1 Viewer)

Votadinian

Has anyone had any recent experience with Zeiss repair in the UK?

My nearly new Diascope suffered a dent to the ring around the objective lens when I slipped on ice in January. I took it back to the dealer in February who sent it in to Zeiss's repairs agent who last week replied to say it will cost £690 to repair. The options are I pay that and get mine replaced by a refurbished scope in about a month, or they make repairs to my scope and I get it back in 16-18 weeks (!) for the same price. I don't fancy paying that amount of money to effectively replace my nearly new scope with a secondhand one, and nor do I relish being without a scope until the end of July. I realise it's accidental damage but even so wouldn't have thought it would be that expensive or the repair option take so long.

Anyone had a better experience lately with them?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I asked them several times for repair services, as my friend from Spain too did the same. I think that Zeiss repair service pricing is ridiculously high, and time is soooo long to wait your item back that the best option is the second, ask for refurbished item. Until now we had no problems with the refurbished pieces. Other question that seems that Zeiss is not worrying about self-outpricing from optics market. They know why...

Does the house insurance cover the damage?
One could get personal injury a lot worse than £600.

I slipped on ice on granite and broke the prism of a Ross 10x70. It still sort of worked as it was military strength.
I could have fallen 10 metres and no me.

To do the job properly could easily cost £600.
One could try maybe a lower price repair.

Hi Vota
Bad luck, so sorry to hear about your accident.
It is not clear what you mean by the ring around the objective. Do you mean the sun-guard or the ring retaining the objective lens? If the latter it may be that more damage was done than you could see and that the entire optical tube housing the objective lenses needs replacing. Didn't you receive a list of the repairs and components that need replacing?

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back