• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stability of the Zeiss harpia (1 Viewer)

arran

The first harpias are being supplied to the shops in the Benelux.
A local dealer dealer told me he had a first scope in the shop in the beginning this year;his experience was that the optics were really great and comparable with the swat atx scopes
However , what surprised him , compared to the swaro atx 95 was how much more instability the Zeiss gave on the same tripod compared;
Something to do with the base of the scope not to be solid or rigid enough?
He decided to be cautious with the amount of harpias supplied, and wants to be things clear before ordering more scopes:
It might be an issue when scoping in windy conditions and sea migration
Perhaps people , when testing could take a look at this issue?

I have experience of more than several Harpias mounted on a variety of tripods and they were all absolutely rock-solid. Can't imagine what the dealer means and the vagueness of the information doesn't help and sounds a bit contrived. If the base plate on the scope was loose this would surely have been noticed and reported. If it was too small then the scope would be insecure on all tripods and for sure I would have noticed. This scope has been used by dozens of folks worldwide (journalists, tour guides etc) over the last year and many terrific digi-photos have been taken with it which suggests excellent stability to me.

Lee

Last edited:
I have experience of more than several Harpias mounted on a variety of tripods and they were all absolutely rock-solid. Can't imagine what the dealer means and the vagueness of the information doesn't help and sounds a bit contrived. If the base plate on the scope was loose this would surely have been noticed and reported. If it was too small then the scope would be insecure on all tripods and for sure I would have noticed. This scope has been used by dozens of folks worldwide (journalists, tour guides etc) over the last year and many terrific digi-photos have been taken with it which suggests excellent stability to me.

Lee

Lee

I got my harpia 95 in use since yesterday
I had the occasion to test them in a cloudy and rainy street at the dealer
I bought him rightaway
What surprised me the immersive view and large FOV , especially at 23x magnification
Zooming in gives absolutely no loss in contrast or resolution
I must admit , the stability on a manfrotto 500 ah is just fine
Very happy with the scope
I will test further at a large nature reserve this afternoon

I used one on the north Norfolk coast last February on very uneven ground overlooking a big reserve and it was totally steady and solid despite the stiff breeze coming in off the sea. Actually there wasn't much to see apart from normal ducks and gulls but back near the car park there was a roosting Woodcock which was lovely to see.

Lee

The first harpias are being supplied to the shops in the Benelux.
A local dealer dealer told me he had a first scope in the shop in the beginning this year;his experience was that the optics were really great and comparable with the swat atx scopes
However , what surprised him , compared to the swaro atx 95 was how much more instability the Zeiss gave on the same tripod compared;

Sounds like BPS in Zeist but if they had a Harpia at the beginning of 2018 then it was not from production because production only recently started. If they had one it must have been a pre-production prototype and it seems a long time before they said anything about this 'problem'.

Lee

Sounds like BPS in Zeist but if they had a Harpia at the beginning of 2018 then it was not from production because production only recently started. If they had one it must have been a pre-production prototype and it seems a long time before they said anything about this 'problem'.

Lee

Lee

The harpia I bought is new production , the scope came in last week

Lee

The harpia I bought is new production , the scope came in last week

Yes I understand that and I hope you enjoy it and tell us all about it, but the complaint you mentioned from BPS concerned a scope that the dealer " had in the shop in the beginning this year" which was many months before production began. The complaint from BPS did not concern your scope.

What did the dealer from whom you bought the new Harpia scope say about this 'instability'?

Lee

Last edited:
Yes I understand that and I hope you enjoy it and tell us all about it, but the complaint you mentioned from BPS concerned a scope that the dealer " had in the shop in the beginning this year" which was many months before production began. The complaint from BPS did not concern your scope.

What did the dealer from whom you bought the new Harpia scope say about this 'instability'?

Lee

Instability seems not to be an issue anymore nor was it discussed at the dealer where I finally bought the scope
Watching dotterels this afternoon with the scope and a pleasure to use
Very crisp at high mags and ver big FOV at 23 x when panning the arable fields is very usefull

Arran

First: you lucky so and so, how terrific to have Dotterels to look at with your scope. It is many years since me and Troubadoris watched a male Dotterel with his chicks high up on top of a Scottish mountain. I am very envious of you today!

Second: in view of your findings and the fact that you did not feel the need to discuss it with the dealer from whom you bought your Harpia and also that he did not feel it necessary to mention it, do you think we should delete this thread before it gives the impression of an issue with Harpia that has not been reported by anyone else? You know how the internet can start rumours for no reason at all.

Lee

Arran

First: you lucky so and so, how terrific to have Dotterels to look at with your scope. It is many years since me and Troubadoris watched a male Dotterel with his chicks high up on top of a Scottish mountain. I am very envious of you today!

Second: in view of your findings and the fact that you did not feel the need to discuss it with the dealer from whom you bought your Harpia and also that he did not feel it necessary to mention it, do you think we should delete this thread before it gives the impression of an issue with Harpia that has not been reported by anyone else? You know how the internet can start rumours for no reason at all.

Lee

Lee

To make things clear

The presumed instability issue was mentioned by a dealer who tested the scope begin 2017, he warned me of potential issues on this matter for upcoming scopes
That is why I mentioned this on the forum , to be cautious and to look for issues for the production series
The dealer from which I bought the scope (different from the previous)gave me the opportunity to test the scope as I wanted
The scope was very stable while using at highest mag so no further issues to me
Hope this makes things clear

Ps

The dotterel were gorgeous and we had a total of 22 adults and 3 juvs
This was 25 years ago , since my trip to the Cairngorms

It was in the Cairngorms that we saw our male with his chicks. On the same day and in the same place a Dunlin landed right at our feet, calling, and stayed there for a few seconds before flying away. Really lovely birds.

Glad you found no stability issues with your Harpia.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back