• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax and Nikon Scope. (1 Viewer)

perdu

Hi Everyone,

I am from Houston Texas and have started birding over the last 2 years. I have always used binoculars but I ordered a Nikon Fieldscope ED82 and a Pentax FP 80ED with the idea of sending one back. The problem with the Nikon is finding eyepieces for it but it's nice and light weight. The Pentax is a heavy beast but eyepieces are no problem. Does anyone have experience with these two scopes and have any words of wisdom on which to keep.

I'll post this in the Pentax forum too. Thanks for any observations and advice.

Nikon is the clear optical winner. Not even close.

Although I haven't used the 80 mm Pentax but have owned the PF-65EDAII and now own the Nikon ED82A, I think Rick is right.
When I bought the Nikon ED50A, I found that it was nearly equivalent to the Pentax.

The Pentax 80 mm is a huge scope compared to the much more manageable Nikon. And I read the focusing mechanism of the Pentax makes the usable aperture considerably smaller when not focused to infinity. I think the actual aperture, probably calculated using the exit pupil size, goes down to about 70 mm, but I can be wrong. I admit it has a very nice view with the XW eyepieces, though.

//L

I choose the Nikon because in size and weight it's so much more managable. Image is great too.
Thanks for the replies.

I've owned a Pentax ED80 for years but sold it to buy the Nikon ED82 some 3 years ago. Funny thing, when using Pentax' own XL or XW EPs for visual, the ED80 performed brilliantly. I could never get satisfactory results digiscoping however. When I went to the Nikon, also with fixed wide EPs, the visual performance was as good or better -and- the image quality digiscoping improved dramatically.

One thing that I never liked about the Pentax design was the collet for mounting eyepieces. It's not waterproof. Yeah I know there's a window inside that keeps water from entering the body of the scope, but what does one do if water gets past the EP and into that cavity? Though I never had a problem with this, I also avoided using the scope in the rain.

I'm a big fan of the Fieldscopes and also have an ED50 and all the wide field EPs and zoom. Good choice IMO.

Last edited:
Hi Perdu, I had a Nikon ED82A scope and loved it, and got the ED50 and a horde of eyepieces to match. It was a lovely set-up, but I wanted a wide-field zoom when Swaro et al brought these out, and Nikon didn´t follow suit. I sold the ED82A and kind of regret it (but I don´t think I could go back to fixed ep´s on a large scope).
Dipped of BF is selling an ED82A scope with case at a knock-down price:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=268803

The ED82 is a fantastic scope. Best of luck in the field. If you are ever in need of fixed eyepieces you can reach out to New Jersey Audubon. They still have a stockpile of older eyepieces that are currently discontinued.

All the best,
Mike
Nikon

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back