• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help identifying owl in north central Minnesota (1 Viewer)

dmcal

Two nights ago, August 21, we were driving along a dirt road which cut through woodlands. To our astonishment, an owl dropped out of the sky onto the road then scuttled about 10 feet where it landed again, then off it went. This occurred startlingly close to our car; I would say about 20 feet from the front of car. In the headlights it looked like it had a lot of white with dark bars but bear in mind it was caught in our headlights. Less than a minute later, as we made our way along the dirt road, the same thing happened again! Either the same owl or two of them in the area. After it disappeared I noted a frog in the road and my wife, who was driving, said frogs had been hopping across the road the way they do, en masse, on occasion in central minnesota lake country.
This was a medium to large owl. Not huge like a great horned but not tiny either. Again, it was a light color. I went through all the owls of MN twice and looked at their descriptions and am stumped. What was it? Whatever it was, it was feasting on frogs! Help appreciated.

Welcome to Birdforum. Could it be Barred? You would get more success by posting this in the Bird Identification Q&A Forum.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back