• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Canon S100 (replacement for S95) (1 Viewer)

Has anyone try to videoscope with S100 ?

If i 've clearly understood , digiscoping with S100 gives results closed to those obtained with S95 .
But i am curious to know if videos are good enough cause i read you can't correct anything in video mode ( it is supposed to be fully auto )
I have a Kowa 773 + 30w + zoom 20x60 and i would like to get a compact for digiscoping and videoscoping .

thanks in advance

Has anyone try to videoscope with S100 ?

If i 've clearly understood , digiscoping with S100 gives results closed to those obtained with S95 .
But i am curious to know if videos are good enough cause i read you can't correct anything in video mode ( it is supposed to be fully auto )
I have a Kowa 773 + 30w + zoom 20x60 and i would like to get a compact for digiscoping and videoscoping .

thanks in advance

The best compact digicams I have are the Nikon S9100 and Sony DSC HX 9V but there lenses are a bit long for normal eyepieces, so you would need the Kowa 27x LER eyepiece.
For the 30x eyepiece and 20-60zoom the Nikon P300 or the newer P310 has a good video mode with up to full HD ( 1920x1080p). You will need a Universal Adapter or a pvc homemade job.
There are some stills and video taken with the P300 here http://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/sets/72157626414868096/

Neil

Nikon P300 - P310

The best compact digicams I have are the Nikon S9100 and Sony DSC HX 9V but there lenses are a bit long for normal eyepieces, so you would need the Kowa 27x LER eyepiece.
For the 30x eyepiece and 20-60zoom the Nikon P300 or the newer P310 has a good video mode with up to full HD ( 1920x1080p). You will need a Universal Adapter or a pvc homemade job.
There are some stills and video taken with the P300 here http://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/sets/72157626414868096/

Neil

Neil, greats shots on flicker using the P300. I notice the P310 has a 4.2x lens. Using a Universal adapter, is it possible to use the full range of the lens without hitting the eyepiece glass please, or does it need a rail to slide the camera away from the eyepiece slightly?

finno

Can anyone advise on the vignetting with the S100 and Swarovski 25-50x zoom eyepiece please?

I never bothered with the S90 or S95, as they did not have the facility to manually move the focus point - an option I find very useful with the Nikon P6000. I believe the S100 does have this.

I love the picture quality of the P6000, but would like something with more fps/better ISO capability. I did consider the Nikon J1, but it seems a bit bulky for my purposes.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Neil, greats shots on flicker using the P300. I notice the P310 has a 4.2x lens. Using a Universal adapter, is it possible to use the full range of the lens without hitting the eyepiece glass please, or does it need a rail to slide the camera away from the eyepiece slightly?

finno

Finno,
To get the best out of the lens , the camera needs to be moved a little, but with a universal adapter , like the Swarovski UCA it is easy. With the DCB ,not so much.
Neil.

Good w Swarovski ats 65 mm 20-60

I've been using the s100 with the Swarovski dca and the Swarovski ats 65mm 20-60x eyepiece and have been happy with it. I use an adaptor to get it paired w the dca. I like the video quality and how small and light it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back