• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extreme Digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Kowa digiscoping.

A couple shots of a Kentish Plover & Sanderling taking with an iPhone 4s attatched to a Kowa TSN-883 scope using a Kowa TSN-IP4s digiscoping adapter.

Attachments

• Kentish Plover.jpg
    Kentish Plover.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 1,013
  • Sanderling.jpg
    Sanderling.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 647
Not overly extreme here but just a question to toss out to all to see how everyone else is handing the issue of 'sun'...on the LCD.

I recently moved to a Nikon P310 for my digiscoping, up from a Canon S95 series...I have to say that the 'rapid fire' of that camera and taking 5 shots in a second is something sorely missed in Canons!

But the age old problem of attempting to fine tune focus using the LCD is still present. The sun, light etc...is just too much on the LCD to properly view to fine tune focus.

Do you remember years ago the Minox digiscoping camera (didn't work in practice) ...that was specifically created for digiscoping had a 'sheltered or covered' LCD viewer. While the camera was crap, the idea of providing some sort of shade over the LCD was there.

So we move on to jury-rigging now...Other than standing over and casting a shadow of sorts over your LCD, what does anyone else do? jim

Not overly extreme here but just a question to toss out to all to see how everyone else is handing the issue of 'sun'...on the LCD.

I recently moved to a Nikon P310 for my digiscoping, up from a Canon S95 series...I have to say that the 'rapid fire' of that camera and taking 5 shots in a second is something sorely missed in Canons!

But the age old problem of attempting to fine tune focus using the LCD is still present. The sun, light etc...is just too much on the LCD to properly view to fine tune focus.

Do you remember years ago the Minox digiscoping camera (didn't work in practice) ...that was specifically created for digiscoping had a 'sheltered or covered' LCD viewer. While the camera was crap, the idea of providing some sort of shade over the LCD was there.

So we move on to jury-rigging now...Other than standing over and casting a shadow of sorts over your LCD, what does anyone else do? jim

If you don't want to stand there with a large piece of black cloth over your head have a look at the Hoodman range of lens shades. You can also make a basic one with a cheap slide viewer.
Neil.

The northerly migration through Hong Kong is winding down and the remaining birds, although looking very colorful are not cooperating by staying too far away. Also heat and haze are making it very difficult in the middle of the day to get reasonable photos.
I shot some record videos at 80-120 meters of Sandplovers and Stints. Not a great distance but you couldn't see the birds with the naked eye.
https://vimeo.com/66129485
Neil.

Sony RX 100 and Swarovski STX 95 mm Scope and DCB 11 Adapter

Mai Po Nature Reserve,
Hong Kong,China
13th May 2013

Attachments

• scrape2 MP D7000 DSC_9193_edited-1.jpg
    scrape2 MP D7000 DSC_9193_edited-1.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 650
Not at a huge distance, but a Terek Sandpiper at 90 meters looks very small. We had good light early this morning for a change, despite the forecast for thunderstorms.
Only about 2,000 mm.
Neil

Mai Po Nature Reserve,
Hong Kong,China
20th May 2013

Attachments

• mudflats DB G1X IMG_0803 copy.jpg
    mudflats DB G1X IMG_0803 copy.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 445
  • terek sands sandplovers tatlers rx100 stx95 DSC01539_edited-2.jpg
    terek sands sandplovers tatlers rx100 stx95 DSC01539_edited-2.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 640
This video of the Great Egret is an extreme close-up which I like to do sometimes. I can only do it with egrets and herons as they will hold still for long periods.
https://vimeo.com/67024268
Neil

Nikon P330 and Swarovski STX 95 mm Scope and DCB 11 adapter
Hong Kong,
China.
May 2013

Astronomer can use very high Focal lenghts for imaging the moon or planets ex: A Celestron C-14 telescope has a FL of 3910mm if seeing is very good we can use either a 3x or 5x barlow lens which will give us a focal lenght 11,730mm or 19,550mm. Some imagers in the past have gone well into the 25,000mm on the moon.

Last edited:
Astronomer can use very high Focal lenghts for imaging the moon or planets ex: A Celestron C-14 telescope has a FL of 3910mm if seeing is very good we can use either a 3x or 5x barlow lens which will give us a focal lenght 11,730mm or 19,550mm. Some imagers in the past have gone well into the 25,000mm on the moon.

I'm planning to get a "heavy duty" telescope for Sydney so that I can watch the local lagoon which is about 1.5 km away. I'm up on a plateau over looking it. This would be a good solution.
I do have a 77x Swarovski telescope eyepiece though and some Televues.
Neil.

Extremely close

The recent Great Egret extreme close-up more than filled the frame but the bird was about 15 meters away. This Munia as just beyond the closest focusing of the STX 95 at about 7 meters.
It was hard keeping it in the frame.
There is a video here https://vimeo.com/67255369
Neil

Nikon P330 and Swarovski STX 95 mm Scope and DCB 11 adapter

Hong Kong,
China
May 2013

Attachments

• sc munia grass rx100 stx95  DSC02900_edited-2.jpg
    sc munia grass rx100 stx95 DSC02900_edited-2.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 485
Hi,Neil
I'm a digiscoping fans in Shanghai, China.
I've read all your post and learn much.You have done a lot of digiscoping.
Used many camaras to digiscoping with scopes.Very good experience.
I also owned lot of camaras and scopes.
Such as Swaro STX95,KOWA lens/scope,Swaro stm80hd,KOWA883,Fuji X100s,Sony nex7,nex6,Nikon D800,etc.And one of my new toys is Sony RX1(with evf).
I 'm very happy to join the birdforum and communicate with digiscoping fans here!
I post one of my extreme digiscoping to you.Cmara is Fuji X100S, scopes is KOWA lens/scope.
And you can see the best resolution of the scope and the camara combo

Attachments

• DSC09488.JPG
    DSC09488.JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 507
  • 望远镜远距离拍摄场景之二.jpg
    望远镜远距离拍摄场景之二.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 466
  • 空调‘位置.jpg
    空调‘位置.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 470
  • _DSF2250 1.jpg
    _DSF2250 1.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 478
Hi,Neil
I'm a digiscoping fans in Shanghai, China.
I've read all your post and learn much.You have done a lot of digiscoping.
Used many camaras to digiscoping with scopes.Very good experience.
I also owned lot of camaras and scopes.
Such as Swaro STX95,KOWA lens/scope,Swaro stm80hd,KOWA883,Fuji X100s,Sony nex7,nex6,Nikon D800,etc.And one of my new toys is Sony RX1(with evf).
I 'm very happy to join the birdforum and communicate with digiscoping fans here!
I post one of my extreme digiscoping to you.Cmara is Fuji X100S, scopes is KOWA lens/scope.
And you can see the best resolution of the scope and the camara combo
Welcome to the Group. The RX1 is a very good camera.
Thanks for sharing.
Neil

This video was shot with the Swarovski STX 95 mm eyepiece cranked up to 70x. You can see the wide shot of The Scrape at Mai Po Nature Reserve where thousands of birds come to roost at the high tide.
The birds are about 80 meters from the hide.
https://vimeo.com/68844072

Neil

Hong Kong,
China.

Long distance picture

I took this picture with sunset light in Madrid. Distance to de bird around 150meters.
Nikon V1+10-30+Swarovski ATS 80 HD+DCA+20-60 at x50.
ISO 800, f/5.6, 1/125s, cropped.
Young Wood pigeon, Columba palumbus.

Delfín

Attachments

• Paloma Torcaz w.jpg
    Paloma Torcaz w.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 360
It's not often to get such clear light out on the mudflats with only minimal heat haze with about 60% humidity.
This red buoy is at least 1.5 kms from the hide so I had to crank up the scope to 70x.
Neil
Mai Po Nature Reserve
Hong Kong China
July 2013

Attachments

• digiscoping mudflats DB DSCN2641_edited-2.jpg
    digiscoping mudflats DB DSCN2641_edited-2.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 440
  • egrets DB rx100 stx95 DSC05018_edited-2.jpg
    egrets DB rx100 stx95 DSC05018_edited-2.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back