• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P5100 (1 Viewer)

Word of warning to Digiscoping Nikon Kit Users!

Don't make the silly mistake I made at the weekend. I purchased a 16-48x/20-60x Zoom eyepiece for my Spotting Scope RAIII 65 A WP only to find one flaw....it was the wrong lense!

What I actually wanted to go with my P5100 / FS6 adapter was the 16-48x/20-60x DS Zoom. Thankfully I've been able to get in touch with the seller I bought it from and he's putting it on order but it can be a costly mistake to make.

If you are going into digiscoping CHECK THE DS bit on your lense!

S700 or P5100

Hi all,

This is a long thread so apologies for being lazy and asking questions without reading the thread first.

I'm looking to get hold of a P5100 and Jessops are selling them for £200 currently. They also sell the Coolpix S700. Am I right in assuming that the S700 doesn't have the facility to allow other lenses to be screwed onto it (and thereby doesn't allow the attachment of the digiscoping adaptor either)?

Also, if I have an eagle-eye digiscoping adaptor (for use with the Kowa 883mm), do I just need the bit that attaches the eagle-eye adaptor to the camera? Am I also right in thinking that this small component costs about £20? Finally, where is the best place to get hold of this adaptor?

Many thanks,

Andy.

Hi all,

This is a long thread so apologies for being lazy and asking questions without reading the thread first.

I'm looking to get hold of a P5100 and Jessops are selling them for £200 currently. They also sell the Coolpix S700. Am I right in assuming that the S700 doesn't have the facility to allow other lenses to be screwed onto it (and thereby doesn't allow the attachment of the digiscoping adaptor either)?

Also, if I have an eagle-eye digiscoping adaptor (for use with the Kowa 883mm), do I just need the bit that attaches the eagle-eye adaptor to the camera? Am I also right in thinking that this small component costs about £20? Finally, where is the best place to get hold of this adaptor?

Many thanks,

Andy.

Hi Andy

Amazon were selling them for £171 post free. For the adapter try srb gitum (type into google) they are very friendly and helpful.

Hope this helps

Sylvia (Phil)

I don't know if this should be here, the Nikon P6000 will soon be on the market. There are just a few more features added to what is on the P5100 and one of them will be the option for RAW image quality.

Hi
Anyone tried digibinning with the P5100. would like to take pictures of birds in flight and wonderered if the focussing was up to it. Have tried this with a Nikon P1 which seems to struggle with focussing on a small target. Also can anyone tell me the diameter of the lens housing to see if the lens will enter into the eyecup of a pair of Swaro 8x32.
thanks
Dave

Hi Dave
I think you have chosen a real challenge here with using binoculars for flight shots with a P5100. My opinion of the camera is that the only thing that annoys me about this camera is the focus ie speed and lock accuracy. This is only my opinion of course as others seem not to bother about it, but after using other faster cameras to digiscope with the focus is a weak spot.

But the fact of what you are doing will be the hardest thing....good luck.

Thanks for the responce sleeper. Have had some reasonable results at times with the P1 but too many out of focus shots are a real frustration.
I know it is going to be a challange but would be interested in any other makes/models that you think would be a better option. Ie faster focus and ability to focus on a relatively small image within the frame.
Thanks
Dave

P5100 / Swarovski ATS80 attempts

I would be interested in peoples opinions on these photos.
The red deer was at least 150 yards away, put scope onto 40x zoom, I think the camera has handled it well.
Spotted fly was about 30 yards away and looks pin sharp to me.
Kingfisher was about 30 yards away also .

Haw anyone tried the new P6000 yet - looks impressive

Attachments

• Red-Deerweb.jpg
    Red-Deerweb.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 113
  • Spotted-flycatcher2WEB.jpg
    Spotted-flycatcher2WEB.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 149
  • Kingfisher4web.jpg
    Kingfisher4web.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 158
P5100 / Swarovski ATS80

Just started out with this set up, had the DCB, but found it too fiddly, so now using a DCA on an 20x-60x zoom eyepiece. Well happy with my first attempt, 'from little acorns.....'|=)|
The Curlew is not in focus, but the other two gulls seem OK

Attachments

• Black-Headed-Gull.jpg
    Black-Headed-Gull.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Curlew-01.jpg
    Curlew-01.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Gull-01.jpg
    Gull-01.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 85
I would be interested in peoples opinions on these photos.
The red deer was at least 150 yards away, put scope onto 40x zoom, I think the camera has handled it well.
Spotted fly was about 30 yards away and looks pin sharp to me.
Kingfisher was about 30 yards away also .

Haw anyone tried the new P6000 yet - looks impressive

Colin,
Great results from those distances. Detail on the Kingfisher was about as good as you can get at 30 metres. Neil.

Hi,

Just got a P5100 to use with my Swarovski ATS / 20 - 60 mm zoom. Was planning to get the DCA adapter, but it is not clear if I need anything else between the DCA and the camera. Can anyone advise please? Also, are there any good alternatives to the DCA - at £105 seems steep for an alloy sleeve!!!

BR Ian

Hi,

Just got a P5100 to use with my Swarovski ATS / 20 - 60 mm zoom. Was planning to get the DCA adapter, but it is not clear if I need anything else between the DCA and the camera. Can anyone advise please? Also, are there any good alternatives to the DCA - at £105 seems steep for an alloy sleeve!!!

BR Ian

You will need a further adaptor Ian, called the UR-E20 (about £15). I agree the price quoted seems a bit steep but I reckon with the various adaptor rings etc and the snug fit, It'll be worth it. I've had mine for years with various cameras and readily available solutions, bought or handmade. Have a look at my site for set up on the digiscoping page.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks Mark - UR-E20 and DCA it is then.

BTW - what is the adapter you are using between the F30 and the DCA - homemade or commercial? I have an F30 which I like, but never got a physical setup I was really comfortable with when using it on the scope.

BR Ian

Thanks

Wow, thanks everyone for your kind words, feel pleased as punch now.
I am getting a real good success rate with the digiscoping now, I have found its worth spending an extra second or two in ensuring the scope is absolutely focused, and rely on the camera to do its job.
Have also just started using a cable release instead of the 3 second timer, now able to get more shots of the subject.
Sparrowhawk was about 40 yards away

Attachments

• Sparrowhawk3web.jpg
    Sparrowhawk3web.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 272
Hi,

BR Ian

Ian,
The Nikon UR-E20 will give you a 28mm thread which will match up with the DCA, but there is a third party adapter (Ebay, Amazon ) which has a 52mm thread. Neil.

Thanks Mark - UR-E20 and DCA it is then.

BTW - what is the adapter you are using between the F30 and the DCA - homemade or commercial? I have an F30 which I like, but never got a physical setup I was really comfortable with when using it on the scope.

BR Ian

It's homemade Ian, I've got a very useful, build anything mate! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back