• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID ,North Yorkshire (1 Viewer)

DOC REED

Took this pic at Redhouse reservoir N Yorks 31/1/10.Is it Black headed?If so is it between 1st W and 1st Summer?Thanks in advance for any help but i'm TRYING to learn the basics of gull ID !......and clearly, need help!

Attachments

• gullID.jpg
    gullID.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 321
Common Gull as stated above. I don't see any red on the bill; the "hood" is just streaking that's somewhat shaded/blurred.

Best,
Jim

Definately red on my monitor the spot also looks slightly bigger than the bill! and as Marcus said it seems to have no feet or even legs.

Common gull for me, they are suprisingly well-hooded at times, other things such as red on the bill is a trick of the light, just like that sky looking to be blue.

Not going to disagree with common gull but if you're in the market for a book Paul I'd go for the Gulls of Europe, Asia and North America by Malling Olsen and Larsson, it's the dog's for gull id. I've been working my way through it and am at long last starting to get my head around them.

Thanks everyone and Keith for the book tip !I,m glad for once that the bird i've posted at least caused some discussion !

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back