Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Z6 eye detect

Old Saturday 18th May 2019, 06:19   #1
nikonmike

Z6 eye detect

Just read on another forum the claim that the updated eye detect works on birds of prey, anyone tried it.
Old Monday 3rd June 2019, 14:34   #2
ericbowles

Nikon's Eye Detect AF is really designed for people, and it pairs with Face Detect. You need to completely give up focus and subject selection to use it - it only works with Area AF mode.

For Bird photography I just don't have any need for the Eye AF function. I do have the Z6 and had no problem tracking birds in flight with the firmware update. AF performance for flying subject is excellent - at least as good as my D850. The new firmware brought the camera up to the level of the top of the line Nikon cameras - and maybe better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ocean City_5-22-2019_304419.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	617.0 KB
ID:	696906  Click image for larger version

Name:	Cape May_5-21-2019_303476.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	696907  Click image for larger version

Name:	Cape May_5-21-2019_304215.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	492.3 KB
ID:	696908  
Old Wednesday 14th August 2019, 19:54   #3
brrttpaul

Can I ask Eric what settings you use for the BIF? I have the D500 which has recently played up ( the back screen has stopped working) so I am seriously thinking of the Z6 as a replacement, (I can still use the D500 just cant change certain settings or view pics,histogram etc). My main concearn is my lens is a sigma 300mm 2.8 and having trouble finding out if it is compatible with the z6 and adaptor.
Old Wednesday 14th August 2019, 20:51   #4
ericbowles

With the Z6 I generally start with Wide Small for shorebirds and unobstructed subjects. Wide places a priority on nearest subject focus and works pretty well. If subjects are hard to track, I'll switch to Wide Large.

In a cluttered environment I use Dynamic AF. Wide modes are too likely to pick up nearer sticks and brush. Dynamic tracks remarkably well through branches, on the ground, and with other partial obstructions. This works better for songbirds and smaller subjects in a grassy or marshy environment.

Of course, Single is the last resort for wildlife and fast moving subjects. If works okay for subjects that are perched.

I program my Fn1 button to zoom to 50% - and sometimes 100%. My Fn2 button is programmed for AF modes - both AF Area and AF Servo modes can be selected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phinizy Swamp_8-4-2019_307479-2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	702212  
Old Wednesday 14th August 2019, 21:14   #5
brrttpaul

Thanks for taking the time to respond Eric , its much appreciated
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: