Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nikon FF (and DX) Mirrorless rumours/ announcements

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 10th February 2018, 04:23   #51
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 5,861
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermitIbis View Post
Whatever it is, it will have a smaller crop factor than the 2.7 of the N1 series. I might still like the next reincarnation, no high expectations though. If the new kit lens is a Nikkor 600 PF ...
Well FF and APS-C Mirrorless will be locked in, but I'd also like to see the interchangeable lens N1 Mirrorless system revived/continued.

For all 3 formats I'd like to see fully functioning adapters for F mount lens, as well as sensible ranges of native lenses. Let the customer decide! This becomes workable in practice - especially if Nikon proceeds apace with further PF lenses. A fully functioning adapted 600mm f4 (or f5.6) PF on a Nikon 1 V4 could be a beautiful thing! :)

I'd also like to see that interchangeable N1 sensor leveraged into a Sony RX10 IV style super zoom bridge camera too as an upscale adjunct to their smaller sensor P900 line.

I don't think there is anything to be gained by playing in the MFT 2x crop factor space, as everything can be handled by the 1" format (extreme reach), and APS-C (higher IQ) either side of the sensor size scale.

It's not rocket science, it's just a matter of appropriately leveraging and scaling common operating technology without limitations. Importantly, this will mean removing artificial protections of existing market segmentations and putting the customer first. What a novel strategy! :)


Chosun
Chosun Juan is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 10th February 2018, 05:06   #52
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 5,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
I don't understand the emphasis on FF cameras for bird photography. It is brute force at the expense of usability in the field.
Obviously there are advantages in terms of diffraction limits to resolution, but the offset is the huge lenses required. Making a long lens light and compact implies a small sensor, but with good sensor technology, high ISO and pixel size in the 1 micron class should be feasible. I'd much rather have innovation on that front than yet another hulking piece of optics 'innovation'.
It's true that FF capability for birds is redundant in some situations, but in others (low light, shallow dof requirements) it is essential.

The whole rational for these larger format Mirrorless systems, particularly when paired with PF Super Telephotos is to provide a physically smaller, lighter long range birding/wildlife outfit (with appropriate grip ergonomics add-ons hopefully!) whilst maintaining the larger sensor IQ benefits, along with the versatility to change to smaller wide angle, and generalist zooms, and portrait primes for example, as a handy walk around street/ travel set up.

It should be about maximizing utility and value for the customer to set-up as it suits them.

If Nikon is able to offer this fully functional versatility (also read adapters, adapter/converters, and value to the customer) across all 3 formats (FF, APS-C 1.5x, and 1" 2.7x) and Mirrorless/DSLR platforms in class leading product offerings, then it could win itself Lots and Lots of fans.

Nikon needs to ignore any competition from internal product lines, and stop trying to rigidly protect individual segments, and realize it is under the pump from external traditional photographic competition and offer versatile, value filled product systems which will negate those substitutions (particularly the MFT threat).

Moreover, such a strategy (along with the critical addressing of connectivity and image work flow ease, and control by smartphone compatibility ) is the only way it has any chance of dealing with the rapidly growing weight of competition from smartphone photography, apps, and social media.

It will be fascinating with these Mirrorless product launches to see if Nikon reveals itself to be a company of the future, or the past ......



Chosun
Chosun Juan is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 10th February 2018, 08:42   #53
Vespobuteo
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Utopia
Posts: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
I don't understand the emphasis on FF cameras for bird photography. It is brute force at the expense of usability in the field.
Obviously there are advantages in terms of diffraction limits to resolution, but the offset is the huge lenses required. Making a long lens light and compact implies a small sensor, but with good sensor technology, high ISO and pixel size in the 1 micron class should be feasible. I'd much rather have innovation on that front than yet another hulking piece of optics 'innovation'.
Is there an emphasis?

My feeling is that the use of DX is increasing since the IQ is often good enough even at higher ISO (D500).

FF still is useful when you can get closer to the subject. From a hide etc. Sometimes it can be nice to be able to "Zoom out" a prime lens switching to FF from DX.
Vespobuteo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 12th February 2018, 22:21   #54
opticoholic
Registered User
 
opticoholic's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: northern CA
Posts: 373
Part of the "emphasis" on FX comes from Nikon itself. They clearly have tried very hard to convince all their DX customers that they should "upgrade" to FX. But I completely agree that a full frame sensor is mostly wasted on wild bird photography. I think the best format for bird photography is either APS-C / DX or micro-4/3.

Changing the subject, I just saw this thing on Nikon's preparation for the Olympics...
https://nikonrumors.com/2018/02/10/t...x/#more-119596

Good grief! I wonder if instead of working so hard to put on such an impressive showing at the Olympics, what if Nikon instead put all that energy into maybe, I don't know, producing a competitive mirrorless camera?!? ...then maybe I would like them better as a camera company. I remember reading how important the Olympics are to Canon and Nikon, but this really drives that home... Someone needs to help me understand. It seems to have nothing to do with making a great product; its all about bragging rights I guess? Also I'm kind of scratching my head as to why Nikon Professional Services sets up this "stable" at the Olympics with more gear than any store has on hand... If I'm a Nikon pro I would think I would come to the Olympics with my own gear in hand. So why do they need to set up this place with a vast trove of gear? Is it to rent to professionals?

Dave
opticoholic is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 13th February 2018, 01:19   #55
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 5,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by opticoholic View Post
Part of the "emphasis" on FX comes from Nikon itself. They clearly have tried very hard to convince all their DX customers that they should "upgrade" to FX. But I completely agree that a full frame sensor is mostly wasted on wild bird photography. I think the best format for bird photography is either APS-C / DX or micro-4/3.

Changing the subject, I just saw this thing on Nikon's preparation for the Olympics...
https://nikonrumors.com/2018/02/10/t...x/#more-119596

Good grief! I wonder if instead of working so hard to put on such an impressive showing at the Olympics, what if Nikon instead put all that energy into maybe, I don't know, producing a competitive mirrorless camera?!? ...then maybe I would like them better as a camera company. I remember reading how important the Olympics are to Canon and Nikon, but this really drives that home... Someone needs to help me understand. It seems to have nothing to do with making a great product; its all about bragging rights I guess? Also I'm kind of scratching my head as to why Nikon Professional Services sets up this "stable" at the Olympics with more gear than any store has on hand... If I'm a Nikon pro I would think I would come to the Olympics with my own gear in hand. So why do they need to set up this place with a vast trove of gear? Is it to rent to professionals?

Dave
It is true that both Nikon and Canon have tried to pull customers to the higher margin FF format. Though they have also given us such wonderful APS-C tools as the D500 and 7DII.

Part of the tantalizing prospect of the FF Nikon D850 is that at 46MP you virtually have a ~20MP DX camera contained within using the in-camera DX crop modes.

Now if Nikon can come out with a 46MP+ FF Mirrorless offering that without compromise nails AF, EVF, IQ (as they have stated as goals), with sufficient fps, connectivity, adapters/TC combos, and importantly retains a sizeable grip option for ergonomics, but in a smaller lighter package, and retains the 1.5x DX and even 2x (DX +1.3x) in-camera crop modes --- then we are starting to have a more compelling argument. You virtually have a 3 stage zoom at varying MP's available

Ideally Nikon would have had a mythical 600mm f4 PF floating around at the Olympics for practical real world testing (perhaps Canon has it's DO version secretly out there, and a regular Sony 400 f2.8 has been sighted ....) , or at the very least had it's high spec FF Mirrorless already in trial use at the Olympics, or even fully to market.

Neither of those happened though, so the ~ $8Million worth of Nikon gear there is as vital professional customer support, and a critical part of the 'ecosystem' offering. I'm sure Canon has a matching support facility. You would have to get the inside mail from professional photographers to find out what the commercial terms and arrangements are. I would guess that there is a range from fully supported pros to various leasing and rental options, to freelancers who would be able to get an emergency resolved on a pay for service basis.

Given the lack of Mirrorless to market, it's disappointing that Nikon hasn't leveraged this Pro service offering and support with a heavier marketing campaign - the interwebs etc are pin drop quiet ......


Chosun
Chosun Juan is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 13th February 2018, 01:59   #56
etudiant
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 4,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by opticoholic View Post

Changing the subject, I just saw this thing on Nikon's preparation for the Olympics...
https://nikonrumors.com/2018/02/10/t...x/#more-119596

Good grief! why do they need to set up this place with a vast trove of gear? Is it to rent to professionals?

Dave
Flashing a huge stockpile seems to be part of the Olympic ritual for Canon and Nikon, as reported here:

https://petapixel.com/2018/02/12/can...2018-olympics/

As there are a lot of photographers, (I saw a mention of at least 60 national representatives ) there is perhaps a plausible basis for setting up a $10-20 million component pool. Just wonder where the gear gets sold afterwards and at what price.
etudiant is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 13th February 2018, 06:29   #57
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 5,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
Flashing a huge stockpile seems to be part of the Olympic ritual for Canon and Nikon, as reported here:

https://petapixel.com/2018/02/12/can...2018-olympics/

As there are a lot of photographers, (I saw a mention of at least 60 national representatives ) there is perhaps a plausible basis for setting up a $10-20 million component pool. Just wonder where the gear gets sold afterwards and at what price.
Lol. I only had 300 odd ~$25K luxury cars ..... :)

Gear heaven regardless! Pity they have buried the investment on enthusiast blogs, and waiting for the reporting to slowly trickle through specialist media.

A general press release would have gained much more traction (and billions more eyeballs) through mainstream news channels. They could have leveraged some 'special interest' reports from the mainstream media too - they're always keen on that sort of stuff as filler /background etc. I'm sure with such widespread country representation it could also have been personalised by tracing 'Fred Nerkus' back to his hometown - Smallville, anywhere, and the journey onto the big worldwide stage as a critical screwdriver twirler behind the scenes

Interesting Nikon Pro blog story on Ice Skating - plenty of f2, and f2.8 gear being put through its paces at 1/5000th sec ..... maybe I need to up my shutter speeds a bit for BIF !
http://nps.nikonimaging.com/blog/03/


Chosun
Chosun Juan is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 14th February 2018, 08:22   #58
Vespobuteo
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Utopia
Posts: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post

Interesting Nikon Pro blog story on Ice Skating - plenty of f2, and f2.8 gear being put through its paces at 1/5000th sec ..... maybe I need to up my shutter speeds a bit for BIF !
http://nps.nikonimaging.com/blog/03/

Chosun
Nice shots at ISO6400. 1/5000th sec is probably on the safe side, the portrait at 1/2500 is definitely safe for motion blur but with the D5, high ISO is no worries.

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Wednesday 14th February 2018 at 08:43.
Vespobuteo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 15th February 2018, 06:46   #59
nikonmike
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: grimsby uk
Posts: 737
Wish Nikon would hurry up, ime thinking of selling my 1 series V2 and FT1 but as little chance as there is that Nikon will reinvent it its just my luck they will if i sell it.
__________________
Olympus EM1MK11
100-400,12-60,60MM macro
nikonmike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 20th February 2018, 07:02   #60
nikonmike
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: grimsby uk
Posts: 737
Not looking good in the short term

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/02/19/n...-cp-show.aspx/
__________________
Olympus EM1MK11
100-400,12-60,60MM macro
nikonmike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 20th February 2018, 10:19   #61
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 5,861
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonmike View Post
Not exactly good news - Nikon somewhat treading water for the time being then.

Nikon should have really had either the Mirrorless offerings out at CP+ or the D500s and D5s ..... meanwhile Fujifilm is doing well (no doubt picking up a bit of Nikon customer leakage) , and the smartphone arena marches ahead apace. The Google Pixel 2 with its computational photography has been voted best mobile (cell) phone camera by Dpr. That kind of computational advance would be fantastic in a resurrected and rekindled "1" series.

With a few other competitors (notably Sony Ar7iii) also offering pixel shift hi-res capabilities, this type of thing also seems like a compulsory feature for the Nikon APS-C and FF Mirrorless offerings too.



Chosun
Chosun Juan is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 20th February 2018, 11:58   #62
HermitIbis
Registered User
 
HermitIbis's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Black Forest
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
Not exactly good news - Nikon somewhat treading water for the time being then.
We might have to wait until 26-28 September 2018, the next Photokina mass.
HermitIbis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 21st February 2018, 23:00   #63
opticoholic
Registered User
 
opticoholic's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: northern CA
Posts: 373
A month ago Thom Hogan already predicted they would be quiet at CP+... At that time, although he said "Don't shoot me if this turns out to be wrong," he said it was possible we could get a DX announcement in April and launch in May.
Dave
opticoholic is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 21st February 2018, 23:47   #64
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 5,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by opticoholic View Post
A month ago Thom Hogan already predicted they would be quiet at CP+... At that time, although he said "Don't shoot me if this turns out to be wrong," he said it was possible we could get a DX announcement in April and launch in May.
Dave
Yep. Considering that way back when, we were looking at a 2017 launch initially, these slipping dates indicate a difficult gestation and/or nervous management. Thom's mail on the current launch timeframe seems pretty good. The important thing is to get it right - and beat the competition to the punch! Fingers crossed .....


Chosun
Chosun Juan is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 22nd February 2018, 01:11   #65
etudiant
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 4,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
Yep. Considering that way back when, we were looking at a 2017 launch initially, these slipping dates indicate a difficult gestation and/or nervous management. Thom's mail on the current launch timeframe seems pretty good. The important thing is to get it right - and beat the competition to the punch! Fingers crossed .....


Chosun
Don't see how Nikon can beat anyone other than Ricoh/Pentax to the punch at this point.
That makes it even more important that they get it right.
Seen that they have the higher end covered with the 850 and the 500, would it not make more sense to have a solid entry level offering as their initial mirror less product, perhaps something DX or even smaller, in the $1000 class?
That way they can refine their lens stable and debug their cameras without impacting the presumably profitable semi pro market.
etudiant is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 22nd February 2018, 04:40   #66
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 5,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
Don't see how Nikon can beat anyone other than Ricoh/Pentax to the punch at this point.
That makes it even more important that they get it right.
Seen that they have the higher end covered with the 850 and the 500, would it not make more sense to have a solid entry level offering as their initial mirror less product, perhaps something DX or even smaller, in the $1000 class?
That way they can refine their lens stable and debug their cameras without impacting the presumably profitable semi pro market.
I thought something similar - ie. that they would wade in with the DX Mirrorless sooner rather than later .... CP+ at the latest.

I think there is room for two tiers (high end flagship and entry levels) for both DX and FX formats, as well as resurrecting the "1" format and leveraging a high end bridge camera (Sony RX10 IV style) out of that sensor size as well. That would be 5 interchangeable Mirrorless offerings over 3 sensor size formats plus a high end 1" bridge camera. They could be leveraged in quite reasonable modularity and cost efficiencies with a bit of attention paid to resolutions and scaling (in much the same way as the D850 and D500 etc).

Canon continues with its vast array of Mirrorless models on offer, and it was them that I was referring too about beating to the FX punch ..... the party ship is well under way in other sensor sizes from just about all makers as you say.

Here's hoping ......


Chosun
Chosun Juan is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 23rd February 2018, 10:45   #67
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 5,861
Lightbulb The future is going to be truly awesome ! :)

A high DR 8K sensor with global shutter and built in variable ND filters - when this is scaled up and combined with curved sensors, and say 63MP resolution the future is going to be awesome !
I hope Nikon can make buddy buddy and swapsies with Panasonic

https://m.dpreview.com/news/14404564...global-shutter



Chosun
Chosun Juan is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 23rd February 2018, 13:34   #68
HermitIbis
Registered User
 
HermitIbis's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Black Forest
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
"The [global shutter] removes the 'rolling shutter' effect".

I've never met the rolling shutter effect with N1 cameras, but 63 MP resolution and 8k sounds great. I'd happily pay Euro 100 more for a switch converting the cam into a bat detector.
HermitIbis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 24th February 2018, 21:08   #69
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 5,861
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermitIbis View Post
"The [global shutter] removes the 'rolling shutter' effect".

I've never met the rolling shutter effect with N1 cameras, but 63 MP resolution and 8k sounds great. I'd happily pay Euro 100 more for a switch converting the cam into a bat detector.
Once sufficiently high resolution global shutter sensors are developed it will be possible to dispense with the mechanical shutter altogether. This should help EVF development too.

So that's mechanical shutter gone, mirror box gone, and OVF gone (without loss of amenity, and a few gains thrown in). Now Mirrorless cameras are really starting to make sense. Incredibly compact form factors would be possible for a given sensor size.

I could even see some sort of 'transformer' type pocketable FF camera - where you have those tiny wedge type finger grips, and fast pancake style zoom lenses (allowed by the large 'Z' mount) - say 24-85mm f2.8-4 for a nice small street/travel camera ..... and then add a clip-on large man-sized ergonomic DSLR-type grip housing another battery, bung on your 600mm f4 and away you go birding.

Once you add the benefits of curved sensors, engineering composites, Diffractive Optics, and IBIS to this equation with resultant further weight reductions and capabilities , then I think we have arrived at photography gear heaven .... for now


Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Saturday 24th February 2018 at 21:27. Reason: .... for now :)
Chosun Juan is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 24th February 2018, 21:28   #70
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 5,861
The Perfect Sensor

https://m.dpreview.com/interviews/93...ome-to-cameras
Chosun Juan is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 25th February 2018, 00:13   #71
opticoholic
Registered User
 
opticoholic's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: northern CA
Posts: 373
I don't know Chosun... I can tell you are very excited about the future but I'm more concerned with simply using all the great gear I already have... I have long believed that simply GETTING OUT with the gear I have, getting more practice and more opportunities is way more important for me than yet another new piece of gear... Great photos are already entirely within my reach. I don't need to wait for the next great sensor or lens...

I just read Thom's latest commentary.
https://dslrbodies.com/lenses/lens-a...wish-list.html

He cracks me up sometimes. "Someone needs to wake the boys up at the glass factory!"

Dave

Last edited by opticoholic : Sunday 25th February 2018 at 00:22.
opticoholic is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 25th February 2018, 04:41   #72
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 5,861
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by opticoholic View Post
I don't know Chosun... I can tell you are very excited about the future but I'm more concerned with simply using all the great gear I already have... I have long believed that simply GETTING OUT with the gear I have, getting more practice and more opportunities is way more important for me than yet another new piece of gear... Great photos are already entirely within my reach. I don't need to wait for the next great sensor or lens...

I just read Thom's latest commentary.
https://dslrbodies.com/lenses/lens-a...wish-list.html

He cracks me up sometimes. "Someone needs to wake the boys up at the glass factory!"

Dave
Dave, no doubt we have kit now capable of taking fantastic photographs, even for just a couple of thousand dollars. I haven't had much time to get out and about with my gear, so maybe that betrays my current interests. How good would it be though, to have that same expenditure level kit, only weighing 2/3rd to half of the existing setups? All that and probably better performance more of the time.

Thom seems absolutely mad for lenses - I don't really understand it. In one breath he calls for a 28-300mm superzoom, and with the next he says that folk would probably be disappointed that it doesn't start at 24mm !! I don't know about our other snappers here, but to me the least amount of lens changes the better.

How about other folks ? - are you frequent lens changers at the drop of a hat, or more inclined to use multipurpose larger range zooms ??

I pretty much always seem to lob at the doorstep of 3rd party lens manufacturers - mostly because they are covering larger zoom ranges. My Tokina 12-28 f4 is awesome. If I was looking for a general travel lens, I'd prefer 16-400 f3.5-5.6.

As for Thom dismissing the need for a 300 f2.8 FL E ...... well I hope Nikon sure as heck takes absolutely no notice of that, and delivers it pronto, along with a D500S.

I think Thom's got it wrong with all those lenses - it's only a stop gap until the big step evolution of curved sensor systems arrive anyway ..... and I completely disagree with his views on the "1" series - that needs to resurrected better than ever



Chosun
Chosun Juan is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 25th February 2018, 05:22   #73
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 5,861
"TowerJazz is Working on a new Full Frame Sensor with Global Shutter (For Nikon Full Frame Mirrorless ?)"
https://www.nikonrumors.co/towerjazz...me-mirrorless/



Chosun
Chosun Juan is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 25th February 2018, 21:04   #74
opticoholic
Registered User
 
opticoholic's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: northern CA
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
Thom seems absolutely mad for lenses - I don't really understand it. In one breath he calls for a 28-300mm superzoom, and with the next he says that folk would probably be disappointed that it doesn't start at 24mm !! I don't know about our other snappers here, but to me the least amount of lens changes the better.

How about other folks ? - are you frequent lens changers at the drop of a hat, or more inclined to use multipurpose larger range zooms ??

I pretty much always seem to lob at the doorstep of 3rd party lens manufacturers - mostly because they are covering larger zoom ranges. My Tokina 12-28 f4 is awesome. If I was looking for a general travel lens, I'd prefer 16-400 f3.5-5.6.

As for Thom dismissing the need for a 300 f2.8 FL E ...... well I hope Nikon sure as heck takes absolutely no notice of that, and delivers it pronto, along with a D500S.

I think Thom's got it wrong with all those lenses - it's only a stop gap until the big step evolution of curved sensor systems arrive anyway ..... and I completely disagree with his views on the "1" series - that needs to resurrected better than ever

Chosun
I find several of Thom's fundamental positions very compelling/reasonable:
  • Nikon's legacy was/is lenses. They have relaxed far too much when it comes to providing competitive lenses that are in high demand, and it has cost them customers/market share.
  • Zoom lenses are an important part of the consumer-demanded missing lenses (and the initial lenses for a new consumer mirrorless format). Personally I don't use zooms much anymore. I have one general purpose zoom left, a 12-40mm for my Olympus but that's it... I'm pretty much a prime guy at this point. And to answer your question, no I don't like changing lenses but I'm also uncompromising and avoid most zooms too. But I understand that affordable zooms are very important to the consumer sector, and that is what allows the enthusiast/pro sector to exist... Thom is especially aware of this, which is why he pays attention to the zooms and he even agonizes over the wide end of a superzoom.
  • Other telephotos may be more important than the uber-expensive ones (like the long-anticipated 300 f2.8E FL). All he is saying is that he knows Nikon will eventually roll out the upgrade to the 300 2.8, but I'll bet the new price on that baby will be ~$9K+... I'm totally with him on this point. And hopefully Nikon is understanding this too considering the recent more affordable 300 PF and 200-500 f/5.6 options, as well as those recent patents for f/5.6 PF super telephotos (personally I would be most interested in 600 f/5.6 PF).
  • Nikon needs to introduce a lot of lenses in the next few years, and they also need to break with their past behavior and boldly reveal a lens road map. That would be so refreshing. I am very tired of Nikon's secrecy. Explaining it as part of a competitive war with Canon just doesn't fly for me anymore. IMO, Nikon lost that war. They are now in a situation where they really must be a little more transparent and direct with me, at least if they want to win back a little more of my loyalty,...
I also agree with his opinion that Nikon probably should let the CX Nikon 1 system remain dead. It makes sense to me considering the current overall situation for Nikon. Nikon really has made several critical management mistakes in recent years, and the way Nikon 1 was handled is only part of that. If CX were to be resurrected it would only compete against their own internal resources to (a) successfully sustain the DSLR line while (b) introducing brand-new DX/FX mirrorless. I mean be honest, don't you have a hard time imagining Nikon doing all 3 and succeeding with both (a) and (b) and also (c) resurrecting CX? I do, but just my $0.02.

Dave

Last edited by opticoholic : Sunday 25th February 2018 at 21:46.
opticoholic is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 26th February 2018, 12:26   #75
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 5,861
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by opticoholic View Post
I find several of Thom's fundamental positions very compelling/reasonable:
  • Nikon's legacy was/is lenses. They have relaxed far too much when it comes to providing competitive lenses that are in high demand, and it has cost them customers/market share.
  • Zoom lenses are an important part of the consumer-demanded missing lenses (and the initial lenses for a new consumer mirrorless format). Personally I don't use zooms much anymore. I have one general purpose zoom left, a 12-40mm for my Olympus but that's it... I'm pretty much a prime guy at this point. And to answer your question, no I don't like changing lenses but I'm also uncompromising and avoid most zooms too. But I understand that affordable zooms are very important to the consumer sector, and that is what allows the enthusiast/pro sector to exist... Thom is especially aware of this, which is why he pays attention to the zooms and he even agonizes over the wide end of a superzoom.
  • Other telephotos may be more important than the uber-expensive ones (like the long-anticipated 300 f2.8E FL). All he is saying is that he knows Nikon will eventually roll out the upgrade to the 300 2.8, but I'll bet the new price on that baby will be ~$9K+... I'm totally with him on this point. And hopefully Nikon is understanding this too considering the recent more affordable 300 PF and 200-500 f/5.6 options, as well as those recent patents for f/5.6 PF super telephotos (personally I would be most interested in 600 f/5.6 PF).
  • Nikon needs to introduce a lot of lenses in the next few years, and they also need to break with their past behavior and boldly reveal a lens road map. That would be so refreshing. I am very tired of Nikon's secrecy. Explaining it as part of a competitive war with Canon just doesn't fly for me anymore. IMO, Nikon lost that war. They are now in a situation where they really must be a little more transparent and direct with me, at least if they want to win back a little more of my loyalty,...
I also agree with his opinion that Nikon probably should let the CX Nikon 1 system remain dead. It makes sense to me considering the current overall situation for Nikon. Nikon really has made several critical management mistakes in recent years, and the way Nikon 1 was handled is only part of that. If CX were to be resurrected it would only compete against their own internal resources to (a) successfully sustain the DSLR line while (b) introducing brand-new DX/FX mirrorless. I mean be honest, don't you have a hard time imagining Nikon doing all 3 and succeeding with both (a) and (b) and also (c) resurrecting CX? I do, but just my $0.02.

Dave
Thanks for the input and interesting discussion, Dave.

While we chat about this and that on this thread (and Thom looks on for his next insight! :) , Canon has been busy lifting the Mirrorless bar, and stealing Nikon's thunder (and potential customers) .....
https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-m50

I'm going to agree with you (and Thom) on some things, and probably disagree on a few more.

** It's true that Nikon's (and Canon's too) vast lens catalogue is a key competitive advantage - here and now (with a few glaring gaps as I have mentioned before). However, that very same catalogue is also somewhat of a liability too. To whit:
1. Not all of these lenses are capable of the high resolutions necessary going forward.
2. Many need refreshing to remain market leading in performance, or parameters such as size/ weight etc.
3. They are very much a product of the past, or the present at best. Electronic ones will be suitable for use with Mirrorless via suitable adapters.
4. Ultimately though many will be obsolete for Mirrorless, and all will be virtually obsolete once curved sensors take over (DSLR and/or Mirrorless).

I think it's more critical for Nikon to nail the DX Mirrorless range first up than the FX ones - they can survive with the exciting fast prospects, and PF telephotos announced in patents, and their customers existing favorites via adapters.

** One issue I have with Thom's analysis is that it is rather old fashioned. One thing that I find really annoying is this strict regimentation of focal length ranges for all levels of user, but particularly new entrants. By this I mean the familiar 'kit' lenses - the 18-55, + 55-200, + 100-400. I mean who the heck really wants to be changing from one medicore lens to another - it drives me crackers! It's like the makers are trying to 'sell' the 'illusion' of being a serious photographer with a slew of lenses. Just have one really excellent 16-400 with a f5.6 top end and be done with it. Arrgggh!
The advent of software distortion correction helps this change in thinking a bit.

The 300 f2.8 FL E may be on its way "eventually" - but that has been the case for the best part of a decade! It is long overdue in my book!

** Of course, I agree that other telephotos (such as the 200-500, and 300 f4 PF) are important AS WELL ...... not in preference to, or after the FL's, but 'in addition'. The 5, and 600 f5.6 PF's are also important --- AT THE SAME TIME. I really want a 600 f4 PF (of say ~2.5kg), but I'd also be very happy with a sub 2kg 600 f5.6 first - it would be a useful improvement for me.

** I don't necessarily agree that Nikon needs a fully transparent lens road map - it is commercial confidential after all. What it does need though (with it's history of disappointing customers expectations - particularly with DX lenses) is a way of clearly flagging it's intentions to customers such that they find it reliable and trustworthy.

** I'm going to respectfully disagree with you (and Thom) about the need to leave the "1" series (CX) dead and buried. In fact I think they should do precisely the opposite - bring it back better than ever!

It is a mistake to pension it off for fear of (i) stealing sales off other Nikon lines via internal competition - this is exactly the sort of prehistoric thinking that has seen CaNikon under assault from swarms of nimble MFT's, or (ii) fearing, in case it would "only compete against their own internal resources". This is a common mistake that struggling or unsuccessful companies make ...... letting strategy be limited by resources (current operations).

A new and improved CX line can offer parametric advantages in size/ less weight against MFT that only it can (within the confines of its sensor performance). Obviously it is going to need a few tricks to compete - full connectivity, computational photography (such as pixel shift high resolution, and picture stacking HDR, stacked BSI sensors or better, etc). It will also need leading IBIS, and fast lenses, fully compatible adapter, adapter/TC combos, etc.

Just my opinion 0.02 BTC you might say!



Chosun
Chosun Juan is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon mirrorless squidge Nikon 5 Thursday 6th November 2014 21:52
GH4 and other mirrorless vs Nikon D4s njlarsen Micro Four Thirds 4/3 Photography 8 Monday 16th June 2014 16:04
New Nikon Rumours: D400 and 300mm f4.0 Pasquier Nikon 4 Thursday 22nd August 2013 19:22
Nikon rumours Duke Leto Nikon 17 Friday 22nd July 2011 19:49
Nikon D4 Rumours Duke Leto Nikon 2 Tuesday 17th November 2009 10:56

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.30213189 seconds with 38 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:15.