Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Halesowen Garden sightings

Old Wednesday 19th June 2019, 17:36   #26
Adrian k

19 / 06 / 2019 -

Further update

NUTHATCH - in garden this evening 18.20 first one in the garden for quite a few months after checking yearly records for the garden they disappear every year around breeding time and usually return around August time so this year they are very early.
Old Thursday 20th June 2019, 07:18   #27
Adrian k

20 / 06 / 2019 -

Usual suspects around this morning.
Tawny owl calling just after midnight, Large gull numbers well up last night between 8 - 9 presume mostly lesser black backed gulls with a few herring gulls presumed heading towards Bartley Reservior.
Mind you we do have Frankley, Edgbaston and Bartley within easy reach of our area.

Will not be around till Tuesday as will be travelling to Brancaster with a friend to stay in mobile home till Tuesday morning

Here's hoping you all have a great birding weekend.
Old Wednesday 26th June 2019, 12:00   #28
Adrian k

26/06/2019 -
A great weekend away 11 year ticks and 1 lifer (Purple heron) but back to garden watching -

Today's list is as follows -

Blackbird*, House sparrow*, Magpie*, Blue tit*, Wren. Carrion crow, Wood pigeon, Bullfinch*, Robin*, Chaffinch, Blackcap, Swift, Lesser black backed gull, Sparrowhawk, Greenfinch*, Long tailed tit, Dunnock*, Coal tit, Jackdaw, Grey heron, Feral pigeon, Song thrush, Jay*, Pheasant, Collared dove, Yellowhammer, Buzzard, Cormorant & Starling*

Please note - * denotes juveniles being fed by parents.
Old Thursday 27th June 2019, 19:01   #29
luckyosprey4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian k View Post
20 / 06 / 2019 -

Usual suspects around this morning.
Tawny owl calling just after midnight, Large gull numbers well up last night between 8 - 9 presume mostly lesser black backed gulls with a few herring gulls presumed heading towards Bartley Reservior.
Mind you we do have Frankley, Edgbaston and Bartley within easy reach of our area.

Will not be around till Tuesday as will be travelling to Brancaster with a friend to stay in mobile home till Tuesday morning

Here's hoping you all have a great birding weekend.
Hi Adrian,

From my house in Halesowen we often see large numbers of gulls heading towards Bartley Reservoir, some of which we presume feed in the fields around Hagley. Unfortunately we do not have Tawny Owl as regular as you do, with only a handful of recent records over the past few years.

Chris
Old Saturday 29th June 2019, 11:19   #30
Adrian k

Hi Chris which part of Halesowen do you live near I am on Fatherless Barn area with open fields at the bottom of my garden.
Old Saturday 29th June 2019, 11:21   #31
Adrian k

29 / 06 / 2019

Usual suspects with 5 Buzzards over the house and around 20 Swifts possibly many more as they keep dancing in the sky.
A pair of Raven over around 09.30am amnd a few Jays in the trees at the bottom of the garden.
Old Monday 1st July 2019, 18:50   #32
Adrian k

01 / 07 / 2019

Not a lot of news to report today other than large numbers of swifts around and over the fields at the back of the house.

Garden refurbishment starts this week so I think there maybe little to report for a few days while I start the work.
Old Tuesday 2nd July 2019, 06:38   #33
Adrian k

02 / 07 / 2019 -

Early morning start in the garden 05.30am Family of Magpies increased by 1 bird.
2x Collard dove juveniles with adults, Many Jackdaws over again this morning other than this we have the usual suspects.
Old Tuesday 2nd July 2019, 11:33   #34
Adrian k

02 / 07 / 2019 -

Update a FIRST for the garden 12.07pm JACKDAW ADULT & JUVENILE on the ground under feeder number 3 I have had a couple of adult jackdaws on the feeders lately so wondering if this adult is one of them bringing a juvenile along.
Magpies chased them off at 12.25pm
Old Wednesday 3rd July 2019, 06:44   #35
Adrian k

03 / 07 / 2019 -

Juveniles on the feeders this morning - House sparrow, Blue tit. Starling, Great tit, Goldfinch, Magpie, Robin & Coal tit

On the ground - Wood pigeon, Dunnock, Wood pigeon, Collared dove & Chaffinch

Update from last night -

Sparrowhawk (female) took a Wood pigeon off a branch in the tree's at the bottom of the garden, Tawny owl calling 23.05 - 23.20
Old Friday 5th July 2019, 07:25   #36
Adrian k

05 / 07 / 2019 -

A pair of juvenile Coal tits on feeders this morning along with a Young Great spotted woodpecker.
Young Green woodpecker flying around trees at bottom of the garden this morning.

Nothing else to report other than usual suspects still around.
Old Saturday 6th July 2019, 13:05   #37
luckyosprey4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian k View Post
Hi Chris which part of Halesowen do you live near I am on Fatherless Barn area with open fields at the bottom of my garden.
Hi Adrian,

Sorry it has taken so long to reply but I have been away to Devon and have only just got back. I live in Hayley Green close to the Harvester. I presume a lot of our birds in winter are drawn in from the surrounding fields and the Uffmoor Wood area during cold spells.

Chris
Old Tuesday 9th July 2019, 19:03   #38
Adrian k

09 07 2019 -

Not too much around over the last few days except usual suspects .
Today a juvenile jay was feeding on the bird table and around 17.00 2 juvenile coal tits were on the fat ball feeder on feeder station 1
Old Friday 12th July 2019, 07:35   #39
Adrian k

12 / 07 / 2019 -

Tawny owl calling this morning 03.15am

Did anything spook the Gulls at Bartley last night around 19.45 as I had 100's of large gulls away from the usual direction they came over in 4 large groups I would say mostly LBBG.

Swifts - last night saw a marked increase the number of Swifts around the house and over the tops of the trees at the bottom of my garden at one time I could count 25 with many more over the top of the house and further along the street.
Old Friday 19th July 2019, 16:11   #40
Adrian k

19 / 07 / 2019 -

Today in the rain and wind -

First family of Long Tailed Tits on feeders, many juveniles now appeared to have fledged with hardly any young birds around.
Swifts up every night number vary from 10 to 30+
Gulls - large gulls over mainly LBBG but a few Herring and one GBBG
Parakeets heard but not seen on Wednesday 17th
Old Saturday 20th July 2019, 11:58   #41
Adrian k

20 / 07 / 2019 -

This morning between showers had a beautiful young magpie with a great looking green tail feather with the end looking like it had been dipped in oil.
2 Juvenile Jays, 3 Juvenile Great Spotted Woodpeckers, 2 Juvenile Coal Tits & my first Juvenile Song Thrush.

Over a possible Harrier largish bird of prey with a long straight tail feathers but due to weather was unable to get 100% identification.

2 Cormorants over flying in general direction of the fisheries.
Old Thursday 25th July 2019, 10:51   #42
Adrian k

25 / 07 / 2019 -

Green woodpecker juvenile on feeders, House sparrow numbers now quite low as young have moved on.

Very quiet today in the garden bird wise butterflies in the garden include Large white, comma, peacock, Red admiral, gate keeper, holly blue, small tortoiseshell and Cinnibar moth.
Old Friday 26th July 2019, 19:38   #43
Adrian k

As some people know I will be refurbishing my garden over the next few months and I am now looking for help in knowing which plants/shrubs will be best for birds and insects.
I currently have 4 metal feeding stations, 1 bird table and 1 water bath I would like to attract more winter birds to the garden as I have to wait and see what shuffles through the trees at the bottom of the garden in the winter so any help would be brilliant.
Old Friday 26th July 2019, 21:27   #44
luckyosprey4

Hi Adrian,

There are of course many species of plants that are beneficial in attracting wildlife to a garden, but the ones I note below are purely taken from my own experience-

-Holly, Hawthorn and Cotoneaster all hold berries in winter, which brings in the winter thrushes

-Apple or Crab Apple trees also attract thrushes due to windfalls; I can remember once a large flock of Fieldfare in my grandparents' garden after a heavy snow shower all feeding on the fallen fruit

-Wild Teasel provides structural interest and its' seed heads are taken by Goldfinch in late autumn and winter

-Honeysuckle is good for attracting pollinators as well as the Hummingbird Hawkmoth

-Lungwort (Pulmonaria) in my garden attracts Hairy-Footed Flower Bees in spring

-Butterfly Bush (Buddleja davidii) is as the name suggests a magnet for butterflies

There are undoubtedly many more species but the above are plants that I know deliver the desired result. The addition of a log pile (preferably using deciduous wood) and a pond of any size would greatly benefit both insects and birds respectively.

Hope this helps,

Chris
Old Saturday 27th July 2019, 10:31   #45
Adrian k

Many thanks Chris will indeed use most of those plants.
Old Monday 29th July 2019, 08:53   #46
Adrian k

29 / 07 / 2019

A very early morning garden watch today as having to go to appointments 4am start and what a morning

100+ Large gulls over mainly LBBG
50+ BHG
20+ Canada goose
A young Buzzard calling over the back of the tree's
not so many young birds around these days but have had a green woodpecker and jay in the garden this morning.
A male Pheasant now starting to come back in the bottom of the garden.
Yesterday saw my first wild rabbit in the garden, Female sparrowhawk sitting on my fence watching the feeders.

Hopefully should have a few butterflies to watch later.
Old Tuesday 30th July 2019, 09:05   #47
Adrian k

30 / 07 / 2019 -

Chiffchaff in garden tree, Green woodpecker on ground, Swifts over, 3 very young Blue tits possible second breeding.
Old Wednesday 31st July 2019, 17:17   #48
Adrian k

31 / 07 / 2019 -

Jackdaw numbers flying around have now decreased down to just the odd few not like the numbers in June & early July.
I have a new family of adults and Juvenile Blue Tits 2 adults 2 youngsters visiting the feeders.
The coal tits seem to be sticking around as at one time this morning I had 5 Coal tits in the garden at one time.
I know I may not have any MEGA birds but only the common birds everyone can see but thought I would start this thread as in years to come you never know there may not be many of these common garden birds around and other species may well have taken there places.

I will be doing an OWL listening session tonight from 23.00 to 01.00 hoping to hear both male and female tawny owls.
Old Tuesday 6th August 2019, 19:50   #49
Adrian k

06 / 08 / 2019

Sorry about the delay in updating the Owl listening night but only Tawny Owls around at the moment 2 males and 1 female heard calling will be doing another Owl night shortly.

On the feeders this week not to much to report other than a second or late breeding of House sparrows around this week not many young now left around SWIFTS still doing well numbers starting to dwindle down to around 15 these days.
Large gulls now starting to grow in numbers they appear to be heading to roost from around 7pm to 10pm nightly mainly LBBG but have had a couple of large gulls presumed GBBG
Old Friday 9th August 2019, 17:09   #50
Adrian k

09/ 08 / 2019 -

A good garden watch today with a large flock of House Sparrow's returning many times during the day.
A female Sparrowhawk visited the garden 3 times today but she didn't take anything on any of the visits.

Species list for today -

Tawny owl, Blackbird, Wren, Chaffinch, Blue tit, Great tit, Dunnock, Robin, Great spotted woodpecker, LBBG, Black headed gull, Greenfinch, Long tailed tit, Carrion crow, Magpie, Wood pigeon, Feral pigeon, Pheasant, Jay, Blackcap, Swift, Starling, Song thrush, Collared dove, Sparrowhawk, Chiffchaff, Nuthatch, Coal tit, Green woodpecker, Goldfinch, Grey heron, Bullfinch, Swallow, Mallard, Jackdaw, Canada goose & Mistle thrush.

Last edited by Adrian k : Friday 9th August 2019 at 18:42.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: