Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Kowa TSN-663M vs Nikon Monarch 60ED-S vs Vortex Viper

Old Tuesday 13th August 2019, 15:21   #1
alv_23
BF Supporter 2019

Kowa TSN-663M vs Nikon Monarch 60ED-S vs Vortex Viper

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for my first scope and I have tons of doubts, but after having read a lot of reviews and articles, I've decided that I'm going to buy one of those 3 scopes.

Now, with a budget of 1200-1300, which one do you consider offers the most for that price?

BF Supporter 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 13th August 2019, 20:47   #2
chris murphy
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by alv_23 View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for my first scope and I have tons of doubts, but after having read a lot of reviews and articles, I've decided that I'm going to buy one of those 3 scopes.

Now, with a budget of 1200-1300, which one do you consider offers the most for that price?
I've used the Kowa 663M for a few years now and I love it, I think it is a vastly underrated 'scope. I haven't looked through the other two so can't offer an opinion as to whether they are better or worse. However I would offer a word of advice regarding the type of focus system on a 'scope, and how it can affect the enjoyment of the unit. Prior to the Kowa 663M I owned a Nikon ED82A, a scope which is almost universally well reviewed and liked, however I despised it as I could not get used to barrel focus, especially on the Nikon. There is little doubt that the image quality of the Nikon exceeds that of the Kowa, however I enjoy using the Kowa much more due to the physical characteristics of the scope (weight and focus system). Image quality is not the only factor to consider. I would recommend trying each of the scopes if possible, however that is something that is not so easy these days.
Old Wednesday 14th August 2019, 17:25   #3
gcole

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris murphy View Post
I've used the Kowa 663M for a few years now and I love it, I think it is a vastly underrated 'scope. I haven't looked through the other two so can't offer an opinion as to whether they are better or worse. However I would offer a word of advice regarding the type of focus system on a 'scope, and how it can affect the enjoyment of the unit. Prior to the Kowa 663M I owned a Nikon ED82A, a scope which is almost universally well reviewed and liked, however I despised it as I could not get used to barrel focus, especially on the Nikon. There is little doubt that the image quality of the Nikon exceeds that of the Kowa, however I enjoy using the Kowa much more due to the physical characteristics of the scope (weight and focus system). Image quality is not the only factor to consider. I would recommend trying each of the scopes if possible, however that is something that is not so easy these days.
Chris .... I agree , the focusing system can make or break how one enjoys any brand of spotting scope. The barrel focuser, the type I have on my Nikon EDG is a joy to use. So was the dual focuser on the Kowa 883 I owned. It all comes down to personal preference. In my situation, it was the combination of the spotting scopes physical handling and the numerous user friendly high end fixed eyepieces that made the overall package perfect for me.
Old Wednesday 14th August 2019, 19:20   #4
alv_23
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris murphy View Post
So, the Nikons have better image quality? (talking about that ED82A and the ED60A).

If that's the case I think I can spend a bit more and get them.

Another consideration is how easy is it to get fixed opticals, as the Kowa just has the 20-60 and a 30 if I don't remember bad.

BF Supporter 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: