• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip to Novia Scotia -- Leaving Saturday Morn... Need Info ASAP. (1 Viewer)

gthang

Ford Focus Fanatic: mmmmmm... 3.1415926535.....
Hey, all.

The family and I are vacationing to Nova Scotia from New York, and may plan to visit Machias Seal Island. Unfortunately, after reading the Bird Location Review of this birding hot-spot, it seems the island is virtually impossible to find on a map.

We would like to know how to get there so we can incorporate it into our trip. And we would like to know of any top birding sites in Nova Scotia (including directions from major cities in NS).

Sorry I couldn't post this in Information Wanted, because the other Nova Scotia info thread I posted never garnered any responses... not that I'm mad at that...

I'd appreciate any input you guys can give me.

OK, Gthang, now I can see why you are having trouble with getting to Machias Seal Island. The first problem seems to be that the Island isn't really in Nova Scotia, it is closely associated with Grand Manaan Island in New Brunswick, at least that's the only way that I can find to get there through Canada. You might find it easier to get here from Maine. The whole status of the island makes it a bit tough to know what map to even look at.
I hate to say it but it's also possible that the tours may be over for the year. Almost all of the tour operators here shut down at Labour Day and it may be the same in New Brunswick. Here's a web site that may help answer those sort of questions:
http://www.cranfordpub.com/machias/ .
If you don't get to Machias, I believe that Grand Manaan itself is a great spot for birds. Another possiblity is coming here to PEI and taking the ferry to the Iles de Magdelaine (technically in Quebec but the ferry goes from here). They often see whales on that trip. You would have to spend a night in the Maggies if you went there, so you would probably be wise to book ahead. Many but not all of the shore birds have moved through but there are still more than enough around for you see lots of them. Another area to check in Nova Scotia is the Bay of Fundy, usually lots of birds and whales there plus the world's highest tides.
If you do get there to Machias, I suspect you'll see some great birds. Good Luck and have fun! Let me know how it goes.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back