• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reducing mb in a photo (1 Viewer)

Trevor, since I don't have PSE 11 this might not apply. But since no one else has answered, you might try this: In Photoshop when I go to save a photo if I just click on save file in the popup window it defaults to 10 which is the highest resolution. I can take that number down to say 6 or 7 and it will decrease the size of the file. The popup looks like the attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-01 at 10.04.12 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-07-01 at 10.04.12 AM.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 43
My ancient full photoshop has a "save for web" command that allows you to both change the number of pixels and the compression ratio at the same time, making it easy to get the size down. This command in that old version will strip metadata, so is not the best solution, but it works.

Slightly better is a two step process: change image size (there is a command somewhere in the menus) to something like 900 pixels on the long side, and then click save as where you should choose a jpg with a medium compression (setting of 6-7 usually is fine, but go back to the original if you want to make further changes). This process allows you to add a little extra sharpening to the downsized image before the save as if you so prefer.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back