Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Springwatch 2017

Old Tuesday 6th June 2017, 15:41   #26
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Edward View Post
I think the chance of seeing live Beavers would have been higher if Martin hadn't been standing on the bank opposite, talking loudly and waving his arms about.
Martin is a serial offender in that respect, I particularly call to mind his idiotic performance when the sound engineer was doing his level best to enable us to listen to a Nightingale singing last year. He really should be put out to grass asap.

As I am familiar with the location where they were filming yesterday I can be quite categorical that with even a modicum of fieldcraft prolonged views of Beavers going about their normal business unworried by Man is perfectly possible. I bet Bob Smith was frustrated, but I also bet he didn't show it because he is a great chap and would have been 100% focused on getting positive publicity for the Beavers.

John
Old Tuesday 6th June 2017, 20:14   #27
_TheBirdNerd_
Fledgling birder.

The shows have been really good! I my favourite part tonight was the kingfishers, his art was so beautiful and I have never seen kingfishers in the nest. The part about the whales was really interesting too, I didn't realise how big of an issue entanglement was :(
Old Tuesday 6th June 2017, 22:05   #28
NoSpringChicken

Gillian Burke seems pleasant enough and obviously knows her stuff but I find her presenting style in the live sections very difficult to watch. I think she is extremely nervous and she divides her sentences up into short sections of a few words, waving her arms about to match the sections. It is very difficult to follow what she is saying. The difference between her technique and the calm, measured delivery of Michaela is striking.

On a more positive note, I thought the giant photographs of insects on Unsprung were astonishing.

Ron

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 7th June 2017, 07:17   #29
alan kennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSpringChicken View Post
Gillian Burke seems pleasant enough and obviously knows her stuff but I find her presenting style in the live sections very difficult to watch. I think she is extremely nervous and she divides her sentences up into short sections of a few words, waving her arms about to match the sections. It is very difficult to follow what she is saying. The difference between her technique and the calm, measured delivery of Michaela is striking.

On a more positive note, I thought the giant photographs of insects on Unsprung were astonishing.

Ron
Agreed. It's almost as if she's trying too hard. Needs to relax and I'm sure it will come. She has a wonderfully captivating smile though.

Alan
Old Tuesday 13th June 2017, 18:11   #30
Himalaya

I am trying to catch up with BBC Iplayer and got to episode 3. No stand out moments just yet. I'm glad I learnt more about this Yellow Necked Mouse - one I don't think I have ever heard of before. More Badgers and Otters say no more! Good to see that Kite nest and shame the ChiffChaffs left. I cannot see them staying here 3 years. Maybe best bet is to stay an area for one year or maximum of two!
Old Tuesday 13th June 2017, 18:43   #31
Jack Dawe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalaya View Post
Maybe best bet is to stay an area for one year or maximum of two!
I'd be happy to see three years based on the Somerset Levels. :)
Old Tuesday 13th June 2017, 19:01   #32
IAN JAMES THOMPSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalaya View Post
I am trying to catch up with BBC Iplayer and got to episode 3. No stand out moments just yet. I'm glad I learnt more about this Yellow Necked Mouse - one I don't think I have ever heard of before. More Badgers and Otters say no more! Good to see that Kite nest and shame the ChiffChaffs left. I cannot see them staying here 3 years. Maybe best bet is to stay an area for one year or maximum of two!
For the first time ever, I've been totally bored by a Springwatch, Autumnwatch or a Winterwatch series. And the sad thing is the next Autumnwatch and Winterwatch series is from the same venue as this Springwatch series.
Ian.
Old Tuesday 13th June 2017, 20:50   #33
stiv674

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN JAMES THOMPSON View Post
For the first time ever, I've been totally bored by a Springwatch, Autumnwatch or a Winterwatch series. And the sad thing is the next Autumnwatch and Winterwatch series is from the same venue as this Springwatch series.
Ian.
Really, totally bored? Has it been that different to the last few years? I'm not a fully fledged birder so maybe that's why the location hasn't bothered me.
Old Tuesday 13th June 2017, 21:18   #34
Loud Green Man

It does lack the pace of previous years but at least it provides CP with a convenient platform to pursue his agenda. I just wish he would tell the whole story, as on the one hand modern farming is blamed for an eye watering reduction in Corn Bunting numbers by some 90% since the 1970's but with no appreciation of what that figure might be had there been no arable farming in the first place.

As ever the devil is in the detail which is somewhat inconvenient for BBC Producers.

Then there was CP's speculation in why fox numbers have declined by circa 40%, yet not a word of the role our roads and motorways play!

LGM
Old Wednesday 14th June 2017, 07:49   #35
Sandra (Taylor)
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSpringChicken View Post

Ron
I totally agree with these comments

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 15th June 2017, 10:01   #36
Telephoto Paul

I've enjoyed it as much as any previous series. The nature of the place (pun intended) does mean the show feels a bit more divorced from the location; mostly because it's been a lot more nest cams and less location cams with surprise appearances or segments with them out and about. However IMHO the standard of nest cams have been as good as ever (but then I'd always opt for BoPs and Corvids over Passerines)

I haven't 'felt it' with Unsprung and I've skipped most of the interviews. Whereas the three daily shows Brett does on the red button have really helped glue everything together and give the feel of the 'Springwatch event'.
Old Thursday 15th June 2017, 17:38   #37
JTweedie

This is the first series that I've missed. I'd been studying for an exam, so I couldn't spare time to watch it.
Old Thursday 15th June 2017, 18:04   #38
NoSpringChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbs View Post
So new presenters should be as clever and calm as you? If you can do any better then I suggest you contact the programme makers. We will then see how good you are!
No, I am not clever or calm at all. Just the opposite in fact but I wouldn't dream of attempting to present a flagship programme on prime time television. My problem with Gillian is that her nervous presenting style means that I find it difficult to follow the interesting information that she is trying to deliver. I actually feel anxious for her and I certainly couldn't do any better. I don't know why you believe that I think I could.

Ron

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 15th June 2017, 18:24   #39
Bubbs

Then you should give her a chance instead of criticising her. I enjoy her style and hopefully they will give her another series.
Old Thursday 15th June 2017, 18:42   #40
IAN JAMES THOMPSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbs View Post
Then you should give her a chance instead of criticising her. I enjoy her style and hopefully they will give her another series.
I do agree with the previous poster above your post. I can't make out what she's saying and she's got no personality at all.
Ian.
Old Thursday 15th June 2017, 19:04   #41
Telephoto Paul

Ratings for the main show have been between 1.72m to 2.75m. I believe that's similar to last year so it seems to holding up even after 12 years.
Old Friday 16th June 2017, 07:15   #42
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2019

I enjoyed it this series, it went in very fast for 3 weeks normally it feels longer. I thaught it was different to have Martin as a roving reporter in different parts in the UK instead of having him crawl in a ditch, pond etc I thought the parts in Scotland with The Beavers & Pine Martin's were great though could have been interesting if they filmed a Black Grouse lack or something. As much as I enjoyed Unsprung I wasn't that thrilled with the guests this time round, would have been nice to see our usual young naturalists on like we usually have like Lizzie Guntrip, Georgia Locock etc. Would have been better if Unsprung was on after the show but overall it was a good series.

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: