Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Norfolk birding

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Monday 13th May 2019, 15:38   #25901
Louis_P
Average Birder

In regards to the Lesser White Fronted Goose, it has no clear signs of being an escapee and is apparently very wary of humans. Some have suggested it is from some Dutch reintroduction scheme. I suppose the scepticism of the bird being truly wild is the time of year it has turned up. See these two posts for more info - http://birdsoftheheath.blogspot.com/...at-potter.html and http://birdsoftheheath.blogspot.com/...lack-kite.html
Old Monday 20th May 2019, 10:49   #25902
Lightthiscandle
David Bryant

Just a (very rare) post to say how much I enjoyed the Pensthorpe Bird and Wildlife Fair: reasonable entry (all the talks were free!) good, inexpensive food and plenty to see, do and spend money on! I'm hoping this will become an annual event.
(Pictures on blog)
Old Saturday 25th May 2019, 09:24   #25903
NoSpringChicken

North Point, Wells-next-the-sea

I keep seeing references to a scrape at North Point, Wells (mainly from Ms P. Clarke) but I have been unable to find out where it is. Googling didn't turn anything up and it doesn't seem to appear on any maps. Could somebody please tell me where it is?

Incidentally I have just returned from a week in Wells and experienced the Outlook visitor's centre at Holkham for the first time. I think it is a brilliant addition to the area. Really good sandwiches, drinks and, most important, toilets. We enjoyed sitting at our table while watching the Swallows nesting inside, above the windows. There was not a lot of action on the scrape while I was there but it made the walk beside the woods from Wells to Holkham even more enjoyable on a couple of hot, dusty days.

Ron

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 25th May 2019, 09:50   #25904
dwatsonbirder
Mostly off the radar

Hi Ron, it's a newly created complex of pools to the east of Wells at approximately TF 93188 43329. If you look on google maps, you can see the waterbodies on the aerial photography. I've not been since it's creation, but it sounds like an excellent area, viewable from the N.N. Coastal footpath. The small copse immediately to the north can be productive in autumn, a few years ago we found 2 YB and a Pallas's warbler in there, but it doesn't hold birds for long.

Hope this helps!

@axbridge_birder
Old Saturday 25th May 2019, 10:14   #25905
NoSpringChicken

Thanks Daniel, that is really helpful. We did walk along the coastal path but didn't go far enough this time. Last year we walked quite a bit further and I think I know where the scrape is now. There were some waders there but I assumed that the area was just flooded. I will have a look the next time I am in the area.

Ron

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 00:52   #25906
Penny Clarke

Semipalmated Sandpiper at Titchwell RSPB on Saturday 20th July. Taken from Island Hide in beautiful light after an earlier thunderstorm.

https://youtu.be/bDAGbWcxbUM
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: