• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Short-tailed Shearwater? (September, Monterey Bay, California) (1 Viewer)

thfranc

Here is the second of a bunch of 4 questions on shearwaters identification.

Can you confirm that this birds are short-tailed shearwaters?

Attachments

• Puffin à bec grele, A, v (Californie-Monterey, 2017-09-07_1).jpg
    Puffin à bec grele, A, v (Californie-Monterey, 2017-09-07_1).jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Puffin à bec grele, A, v (Californie-Monterey, 2017-09-07_2).jpg
    Puffin à bec grele, A, v (Californie-Monterey, 2017-09-07_2).jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 39
Maybe someone can confirm these as Short-tailed Shearwaters, but not me. Short-tailed are very rare in California in September, and I do not see anything here that eliminates Sooty Shearwater.

It looks like one but i have no in real life experience with them. The bill looks small, the head round, and I am not sure if this is a field mark or not, but i googled pictures of both sooty and short-tailed and it appears in my limited searching that the short-tailed primary coverts are about 1/2 the length of the primaries whereas on sooty it is more like 1/3. this pic you provided looks like the primaries are shorter and more in line with short-tailed, but again i do not even know if that is true about them, just my own reckoning using google.

-

I'll leave my original post up, but another look and I am really not sure. pic one and 2 show different angles and give me different impressions. pic 1 looks ok for short-tailed pic 2 looks like sooty to me. I just don't know.

Last edited:
Here is the second of a bunch of 4 questions on shearwaters identification.

Can you confirm that this birds are short-tailed shearwaters?

Yes, I would say these are spot on for Short-tailed, a bird I am very familiar with from annual spring migration off the west Peninsular Malaysia coast. The head and bill shape are distinctively different from Sooty, which is a species I have looked for repeatedly here without success!

Yes, I would say these are spot on for Short-tailed, a bird I am very familiar with from annual spring migration off the west Peninsular Malaysia coast. The head and bill shape are distinctively different from Sooty, which is a species I have looked for repeatedly here without success!

There are only a handful of records of Short-tailed Shearwaters in September in the Monterey area in the last 10 years. If this was recorded the same date (5 September) as the Sooty Shearwaters in your other post, I think this matches the earliest date ever. I encourage you to report it to report it to the people who keep records there: http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back