• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Isabelline Wheatear (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Hoping against hope: please does anyone know whether the bird in these photos is just a Northern Wheatear, or, could be seen as a Isabelline Wheatear.

Attachments

• isabelline 1.jpg
    isabelline 1.jpg
    509.7 KB · Views: 241
  • isabelline 2.jpg
    isabelline 2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 76
  • isabelline 3.jpg
    isabelline 3.jpg
    783.8 KB · Views: 277
Another fresh scaly, recently fledged juvenile. Interesting that the legs are long, and with no small dark spots on the 'trousers' (fits Isabelline), but equally, the white at the sides of the tail extends beyond the wing tips, which I think fits Northern better. But see what others say too.

Northern for me. Additionally to Nutcrackers points: Base Colour of the wing feathers too dark and pale fringes not broad enough

I would consider the legs length, especially the tibia (!), to be diagnostic of Isabelline in this instance. To my eyes the overall look of the bird (sandy, pale and uncontrasty) is much better for Isabelline and I find the greater coverts to be much paler than the primaries and tail for instance. Also, I would expect to see some white on the tail feathers protruding from the undertail coverts in pic 2. The broad creamy tips of the inner greater coverts are showing well in the last pic too.

Dear Tib78
Thank you for your kind input. Mind you I understand the Isabelline Wheatear is supposed to have a pale supercilium with most of it being forward of the eyes. However I don't think we have a supercillium in this isntance

Hi Earnest, bear in mind that this is a (as Nutcracker mentioned) fresh, young recently fledged juvenile, so "normal rules don't apply" - well, not fully. Plus, the pics are rather fuzzy (no offence!). FWIW my first impression is Izzy.

Dear Jogresh
Thank you for your kind input which is a valuable contribution in this instance.
I have got Northern Wheatear on my life list, but as for Izzy, I havent .
I cannot "tick it off" if it is a "probable", but it would be nice to obtain confirmation that it is Izzy. I do understand though that it is not possible for this in all instances.

Earnest Lad, your list of course so your call, but if Tib says it's an Isabelline I'd be ticking it!

Chris

Last edited:
Looking at this bird again I have to change my mind. Even if I hate to admitt it, Tib is right - as usual...

Dear all
Especially Tib, (who's knowledge is obviously well-respected) but also all the others too . Thank you so much. I shall tick it off as Isabelline if you are absolutely certain.
I guess though, I need to do a lot of studying myself on the species to make it truly "my own" tick and not a tick because someone else told me what it is.

I guess though, I need to do a lot of studying myself on the species to make it truly "my own" tick and not a tick because someone else told me what it is.

Wise words Earnest Lad! As a relative newcomer to this hobby myself I find I get as much out of eventually being able to pick out the salient features of a newish bird as I do from the initial sighting of it!
If you do make it to Bulgaria next year you should have plenty of opportunities to make Isabelline Wheatear 'your own tick' on the steppe near Kaliakra (and also Calandra and Short-toed Larks)!

Chris

Thank you Scridifer
Well I might just do that. Although I did get the short-toed Lark this year in Romania, I missed out on the Calandra Lark. It seems they are not so common as in Bulgaria

Also, I would expect to see some white on the tail feathers protruding from the undertail coverts in pic 2.

...if the bird were a Northern. Sorry my wording wasn’t so clear.

And yes, in my view this is perfectly tickable as an Isabelline but like Chris said «your list, your call».

I too would veer towards Issy on structure, being a juv means it is not as IDable is an adult might be and it has also been photographed in strong sunlight which brings its own problems...

Isabelline, for those that are blissfully unaware, is a recognised colour and below is a link to the etymology which makes, for me, fascinating reading:t:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabelline_(colour)

Laurie -

I too would veer towards Issy on structure, being a juv means it is not as IDable is an adult might be and it has also been photographed in strong sunlight which brings its own problems...

Isabelline, for those that are blissfully unaware, is a recognised colour and below is a link to the etymology which makes, for me, fascinating reading:t:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabelline_(colour)

Laurie -

That balanced appraisal makes a lot of sense. Also, I never knew that Isabelline was a colour until now. I looked up the link. |:d|

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back