• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moorhen (1 Viewer)

Chkm8

I have been trying for about 1yr now to gradually improve my technique.
At first my results with the Sigma 70-300APO were soft at the upper end of the scale. While still not perfect I am getting used to the lens and am submitting a recent phot for critique. All comments welcome I still have lots to learn and the critiques do help.

John.
Canon 350D Sigma 70-300APO
Aperture: f 5.6
ISO: 100
Shutter speed: 1/200 s
Program: M - Manual
Metering mode: Multisegment
Zoom: 238.0 mm Real
White balance I: Auto white balance

Attachments

• OxfordHide_3235.jpg
    OxfordHide_3235.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 271
I would say this shot is very good - exposure looks crack on to me. Were you handholding or using a pod? It is not the setting I would have used on my 350D but it has turned out fine.

Thanks I was using the camera bag as a makeshift bean bag to support the camera. Its probably one of my better shots to date though 1/200sec is slower than I would usually use maybe it helped the final result as I would normally use a much faster setting.

John.

Thanks for the tip I will give it a try and see if it helps. Generally I think my results with the sigma are improving but still lots to learn so any advice more than welcome.

John.

I would improve this picture 2 ways.

First, I would work with Levels to improve the overall light. Second I would crop the image - your bird is dead center, a position to avoid most of the time.

The way I see it, there are 2 points of interest in this picture: the bird and the red reflection of the beak in the water. I would crop to favour those by moving the bird to the upper left. Of course it would be better if this composition had been photographed at the start instead of cropping.

Good Luck
Jules

Moorhen pic re-cropped

Thanks for the advice JGobeil
I deliberatly cropped the picture placing the bird in the centre. I have placed it top left as you suggested which I agree is a more interesting picture. I will have to learn how to work on light levels. Still only grasping the basics of adobe.

John.

Attachments

• Moorhen2_3235.jpg
    Moorhen2_3235.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 93
Ah Ah ! Your picture had more than what you have shown... Knowing that, I would remove some from the bottom and the right, keeping the bird in the upper left.

You will have to practive with levels, that would greatly improve your image.

Good luck
Jules

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back