• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need suggestions for planting! (1 Viewer)

Lady19thC

Eventually the 2 feet of snow will actually melt, after the upcoming week of more snow, and I am trying to decide what to plant. We have lived here for 13 years, it used to be a cow farm, so it was all pasture, no trees. We do have wetlands across the street, and a wild field behind us. So far we have planted 3 sugar maples (now 30 feet high), 2 red maples (25 feet high), 5 Bradford Pears (15 feet high) 6 Blue spruce (2 feet high!) and have some arborvitaes of various heights, holly only a few feet high, juniper, rhodies, 2 yews, barberry, crimson barberry, mugo pines. I need to get more trees in here, but also need to be very careful with the evergreens, as the deer will strip them. They won't touch the blue spruces, as they are prickly. Any suggestions? I am hoping to plant a trio of arborvitaes somewhat near my feeders, on the north side, to make a little wind break, as well as a place for the birds to dodge into when the hawks come around. The arborvitaes on the front of our house are about 12 feet high, and often are nested in, as well as roosted in during the winter. Anyhow, any suggestions are highly appreciated! I live in MA, USA, the eastern half, near literary Concord. I really want to get some white pines in, but am worried about the deer. They pass through daily and would love to nibble, but the yews have deer netting on them during the fall, winter and early spring!

White pine grow quite quickly, so if you plant quite a few, some leaders should get beyond the deer's reach within a very few years. Just a thought.

Scott.

That is what I was thinking, too. I could also look into fencing around them, for the first several years, just to give them a start. Unfortunately, the exact spot I want to put them is also where the deer pass through from our back field to the wetlands across the street. Right between our house and our neighbours. Perhaps if I put some prickly blue spruces mixed in with the pines (trying to create a mini forest, here!) that will help turn them off!?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back