• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pine Martin information required. (1 Viewer)

Dougie Preston

I live for this S**T
Hi folks. I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of any self-catering accommodation in the Cairngorms area that regularly gets Pine Martin visiting? Just looking to advance book for our next Summer visit. Many thanks Dougie.

Hi Dougie, not the Cairngorms but stag cottage in glen hurich near strontian must be one of the best places in Britain for pine Martin we had at least 4 visit every night,with a little food encouragement they would sit on the window sills. Badgers most nights.

Hi Dougie, not the Cairngorms but stag cottage in glen hurich near strontian must be one of the best places in Britain for pine Martin we had at least 4 visit every night,with a little food encouragement they would sit on the window sills. Badgers most nights.

Sounds perfect. Will definitely keep it in mind. Location a bit further West than I'd like, as I'm also hoping to be recording the various Crossbill sp too. Cheers for the very quick response though! 😁👍🏻

We stayed in Polloch and had one there as well.

If being in the Cairngorms is critical to your mission you could always do a night or two at the Speyside Wildlife hide. They aren't quite nailed on (Badgers are though) but I can't remember dipping if I had two nights booked.

No flash allowed but lighting is sufficient with fairly slow shutter speeds and highish ISO.

Ardnamurchan is excellent for Pine Marten with many B&Bs and self-catering cottages (plus the chalets at Resipole) getting nightly visits. I've frequently seen them on night drives there as well.

John

Many thanks for all the great ideas. Unfortunately the Cairngorm area really is a must unfortunately (just now) as we have other plans in that area too. The 'hide' idea is also a possibility, but the thought of your very own ones visiting your rented cottage is very appealing! Won't be booking anything for the next few days, so we can keep digging. The ideas so far are greatly appreciated though! ����

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back