• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old K mount lenses onto Pentax 100D/10D?? (1 Viewer)

amelia1730

Can I use the K mount lenses from my old workhorse SLR camera - Pentax K1000 - on the Pentax 10D/100D? If so would there be any disadvantages in doing so?

Many thanks

Hi Amelia, I have an old Pentax K1000 too, and just bought a Pentax K100D Super and here is link to help you. http://www.robertstech.com/compat.htm
I haven't used this camera yet, supposed to wait until Christmas so I can not tell you anything else.
Regards,Steve

I see Norm provided the Dpreview link also :)

My word, you're a patient man! I know it's silly but I feel a bit disloyal to my K1000 even thinking about a DSLR! Great to know that I can make use of my lenses though.
Thanks for your info Steve

I don't have a digital SD card yet, brother-in -law is going to let me use his old card[one of the girls is getting me one for Christmas]. I am running out of patience.:) I got the link from the Dpreview, all this helped me decide to get the Pentax 100D Super, and the $100 rebate.:) Also pictures submitted on here and elsewhere by Sout Fork.Not that I could do that good of course.:)
I wouldn't feel disloyal to the K1000, I haven't used mine after getting a digital point and shoot. I feel better that I can use the old lens, sort of like an extension of the K1000. It sure will be a learning experience.
Regards,Steve

Great piece Norm - thank you.

I have used Pentax film cameras for over 25 years with six Pentax-M lenses from 28mm to 400mm. This practically forces the choice of a Pentax DSLR upon me. Most DSLR pictures of birds on the web have been taken with Canon cameras; very few with Pentax. Several users have reported chromatic aberration with long lenses. Reports on using Pentax M42 and K-mount lenses with the Pentax DSLRs - with an emphasis on bird photography - would be a great help.

I have used Pentax film cameras for over 25 years with six Pentax-M lenses from 28mm to 400mm. This practically forces the choice of a Pentax DSLR upon me. Most DSLR pictures of birds on the web have been taken with Canon cameras; very few with Pentax. Several users have reported chromatic aberration with long lenses. Reports on using Pentax M42 and K-mount lenses with the Pentax DSLRs - with an emphasis on bird photography - would be a great help.

Here is a picture I took today, it was snowing and light levels were very low. This is Red shouldered Hawk, at least there has been one hanging around.Camera is Pentax K100D Super and lens is cheap Focal 80mm- 200mm zoom.This was taken at 80 to 90 yds. Sorry for bad detail, just as it came out of camera except cropped.This hawk is very wary, last time I tried to take its picture it flew off right away, taken hand held.Second picture is the whole picture resized.
Steve

Attachments

• lex at erica and darren's hawk pictures 048 crop.jpg
    lex at erica and darren's hawk pictures 048 crop.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 240
  • lex at erica and darren's hawk pictures 048 (Large).jpg
    lex at erica and darren's hawk pictures 048 (Large).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Here is a picture I took today, it was snowing and light levels were very low. This is Red shouldered Hawk, at least there has been one hanging around.Camera is Pentax K100D Super and lens is cheap Focal 80mm- 200mm zoom.This was taken at 80 to 90 yds. Sorry for bad detail, just as it came out of camera except cropped.This hawk is very wary, last time I tried to take its picture it flew off right away, taken hand held.Second picture is the whole picture resized.
Steve

Very interesting. It's not only the quality of the Focal lens which affects the picture; it is also the limited reach of the 200mm end.
Thanks very much.
Chhayanat

I didn't notice, but found out later that the end lens was very loose on this Focal lens, not the uv filter the lens itself. I don't know if this would make a difference or not.
Regards,Steve

I didn't notice, but found out later that the end lens was very loose on this Focal lens, not the uv filter the lens itself. I don't know if this would make a difference or not.
Regards,Steve

Not a bird, but with the same lens, Moon Eclipse Wed. night.

Attachments

• moon eclipse 056crop resize.jpg
    moon eclipse 056crop resize.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 192
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back