• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BF 200 Club (1 Viewer)

I could have included some of those on my list as well, but didn't put them down due to their current rarity status. There's also the case of the disappearing T0ny - saw him at last year's Minsmeet.

Oh! And is that stringing? Mr digi-birder isn't actually a member - he just tags along.

Ill put him down as an urban myth then, as opposed to a mythter?. Not to be allowed by the rarities committee?.
If he's tagged, does that make him a potential escapee?.

I think ex-Members are still valid ticks (assuming they were members at the time of observation).
Mr.Digi-birder is a captive species and definitely stringy (the ticking thereof)!

interestingly I know someone who'll be at Minsmere on the day, is a member but "officially" isn't known to be a member.

pduxon said:
interestingly I know someone who'll be at Minsmere on the day, is a member but "officially" isn't known to be a member.
Suppression will be frowned upon by the committee.....

Hmmm... another sub-5er here!

digi-birder
Grousemore
IanF
ron

digi-birder and ron are Resident, IanF a Summer Visitor, and Grousemore was well outside the normal range, but can be virtually guaranteed Annually!

birdman said:
Hmmm... another sub-5er here!

digi-birder
Grousemore
IanF
ron

digi-birder and ron are Resident, IanF a Summer Visitor, and Grousemore was well outside the normal range, but can be virtually guaranteed Annually!

Brilliant, birdman. I like it!

Never mind, you'll be adding a migrant to your list if you're coming to Oop North Bash!

digi-birder said:
So, Chris, who is in this committee?? Just so the members know who to ask before submitting their records!! ;)
I'll take applications from those who feel they have the required qualifications - experience, intransigence, tunnel-vision etc.

Chris

I have a couple of questions:

1) Can you count "calls" only - I've spoken to Dave Deboo, but not seen him.
2)Hypothetically speaking, what if there were twins on BF and you met only one in the field? A taxonomic nightmare!

tom mckinney said:

2)Hypothetically speaking, what if there were twins on BF and you met only one in the field? A taxonomic nightmare!

Tom,

Twins on BF?.....shoorlee shome mishtake!!!

hahahaha

Steve.

tom mckinney said:

1) "Heard only" members only count as pencil ticks. The tickee must be spoken to in person for a full tick. "Heard only" records may, however, be followed by "observed only" records and become a full tick. "Heard Only" and "Observed Only" records may be used as year ticks IF the member is already on your life list.
2) As you must have spoken to the individual concerned it is up to you to determine the true identity of him/her.

CJW
(Self appointed policy executive)

Hi Tom,
No: if I have to wait until I see a Tree Pipit until I can tick it in Ireland,you'll have to make visual contact with Dave
They would have to be treated as distinct people,but the ID criteria would have to be made public in a paper.Again,if Blyth's Reeds can be ID'd in the field,seperation of identical twins shouldn't be too hard?
Harry

I've yet to go through my records to find an exact number, but I'd expect 'the Steve' and myself have something like 250+ each.... including exotic vagrants from Australia and North America. Upon reflection, some were obvious escapees, though hopefully recaptured by now.
Our tactics are not subtle and could be frowned upon in some quarters, accosting innocent bystanders and forcing them to sign-up to birdforum.
btw, anyone vaguely approaching admin's tally will be kicked off the site

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back