• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My new el 12x50 fp has left me confused! (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone

I'd been thinking about buying some bins with a bit more reach to use in hides. I have a pair of el 8.5x42 fp.

I know a scope would be be great, but most of my birdwatching is linked with long walks and I've never got on with lugging a scope around (I sold my scope a couple of years ago and haven't missed it at all).

My original plan was that I'd use the 8.5x42 as usual and carry the 12x50 around in a rucksack and use them in hides.

So after lots of deliberation I purchased a pair of el 12x50 fp - I ordered them back at the beginning of July and they only came last week - what a long wait!

I've been out a few times with the new bins and I'm so impressed with them - the view is outstanding. And I'm loving the extra reach.

So here's the confusion - I thought I would struggle with hand holding them and they would only work well in hides (where I could support my elbows), but I've found that they're just fine, and I'm not really noticing the extra weight over the 8.5x42.

So I'm thinking that I should sell the el 8.5x42 as I think they're going to just sit around without any use. I've got a pair of cl 8x25 which I use when I want to travel light.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for any input!

I think you're right to consider moving the 8.5s on. You're new 12s are going to be the first ones you now reach for, not that much more heavier or larger, and give you that extra reach as long as you can keep them steady.

It won't be as efficient as the 8.5x42 if you bird frequently in a wooded environment. DOF of the 12x50 is shorter and its FOV will not be as wide. Birds will be harder to follow through the undergrowth.

It won't be as efficient as the 8.5x42 if you bird frequently in a wooded environment. DOF of the 12x50 is shorter and its FOV will not be as wide. Birds will be harder to follow through the undergrowth.

^^^^^^^
This!

The SV 50mm binoculars are really not THAT large or heavy. They are the same size as SOME 8X42s and not much heavier than some others. Saying that like you, I don't find them that much more difficult to hold steady than a 10X. It does get worse have a long or uphill hike though....several places I bird the good areas require a good hike! The SV 12X50 is one really nice binocular!

I'd probably hang on to that 8.5X42 for different birding situations.....or trade for a SV 8X32.

I purchased a pair of Vortex Viper HD 12x50 for astro use and I am surprised like you that I can also use them for birding. I didn't think I could hold them steady enough but I can hold them as steady as a 10x and you have more reach with the 12x. The Vortex Vipers HD 12x50 are only 28 oz. so they are not much heavier than the SV 8.5x42's. That being said they still won't replace my SV 8.5x42, SV 8x32 and my EDG 7x42 for closer range use. I appreciate the greater DOF and bigger FOV when trying to spot birds close up. I think that chill6x6's idea of trading your SV 8.5x42 for an SV 8x32 might be a good one. The SV 8x32 with it's smaller size and bigger FOV would compliment your SV 12x50 better than the SV 8.5x42.

The original poster has already got some decent compacts for hiking and I'm guessing they do not want to start a mini collection. Hence the "confusion".
Yes, some of us are hooked and cannot bear to part with an old favourite or like to have a selection for different uses, conditions or even moods. Some even collect a complete set from the stable, each to their own.
Enjoy them whatever you decide.

Last edited:
To me the FOV and DOF on the 8.5x42 SV is already on the narrow/short side for birds at near to medium distance. I prefer a 7x42 for those applications really. But I guess if you do more long distance viewing and/or use the bins more like a scope from a hide etc. the 12x might be a better choice. It's hard to cover all possible areas of usage in one single bin though. It will all come down to your personal preferences and your type of birding. But I would keep the 8.5x42 for a year or so before selling them, your neck might disagree with you in the end.

Last edited:
If you take your binos to any coasts or islands you will notice the bino-shake more because there is always a breeze blowing and many is the time its more than a breeze. The wind will buffet not only your body but your arms too and the jiggle of your binos will be magnified not 8.5 times but 12x.

Lee

User has said they are for use in hides, which are usually out of any wind, have seating and somewhere to rest your elbows.

Binastro gave you good advice. It will take a while to know if you really like the 12x better enough of the time to give up on the 8.5x. I know of a few birders who really do prefer higher mag binoculars as their primary or even only birding glass, but there aren't many. Some with 12x50, either Swaro or Leica, and even a couple with 15x, although these tend to be image-stabilised Canons.

It is not just shakes, which one can get used to especially if one has strong arms, but shallow depth of field and narrow FOV which can start to bug a user of a 12x or 15x binocular, as Vesopobuteo pointed out. These might take a while to asses, as initially you will be impressed by the extra detail.

Kimmo

Thank you so much for all your input - a lot of really useful guidance.

I’m going to give it a bit longer and continue trying out different environments and windy days too. I did notice yesterday when I was looking at some long tailed tits moving through some nearby scrub that I couldn’t get on a bird as quickly as before (but when I did I loved the closer view!). I could definitely see how trying to get on a fast moving or elusive bird in woodland would be more challenging.

The el 8x32 are a very interesting option as well. I think they’re a fantastic balance between quality and size/weight. I have to be careful though, I can easily fall into the “getting a collection” trap. I’ve already noticed myself thinking up reasons why I should get the new cl 8x30!

Once again, thanks for all the help.

Sam

User has said they are for use in hides, which are usually out of any wind, have seating and somewhere to rest your elbows.

Correct Pyrtle but he has also mentioned possibly parting with the arguably more versatile EL 8.5 and so relying on the 12x.

Lee

A quick update after a windy Saturday test.

I really noticed that the wind affected my ability to keep the bins still, but when I tried with someone's el 8x32 bins, there wasn't much difference for me. But I loved how compact and lightweight the 8x32 were!

I've reached the conclusion that the 8.5x42 are going to gather dust, so I'm going to sell them and buy a pair of the el 8x32. I think that will give me two great choices.

The 8x32 and 12x50 will make an excellent combo. I have the 8x32 and will complement with the 10x50. I was considering the 12x50 and also the 15x56 but i like the wider field and better eye relief of the 10x50. You can't go wrong with any of these binoculars they all offer outstanding views.

The 8x32 and 12x50 will make an excellent combo. I have the 8x32 and will complement with the 10x50. I was considering the 12x50 and also the 15x56 but i like the wider field and better eye relief of the 10x50. You can't go wrong with any of these binoculars they all offer outstanding views.

Out of interest, how you you decide which to take? You you ever take both out?

Awesome to hear that you are enjoying your 12s. I look at the 12x50 ELs probably 4 times a week on the internet. Never looked through them, never even seen a pair. Your post encourages me to take the ($3000) plunge!

If you have alternative bins the 12x50 are a better purchase than 10x (assuming your'e ok with eyerelief etc). Mine are great in conjunction with 7x42 FL Victory and Opticron Traveller 8x32 BGA ED.
The latter get the most use all told but for open country/hide use (especially without a scope) the 12s are the bees knees!!

The 12X50 EL SV has the most ER of any premium glass in that configuration, more than enough. Quincy88, if you are patient, you can get a mint one closer to $2000 than $3000

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back