• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven B3 8x30 ... (2 Viewers)

I was thinking my wife's name, KATEPINA (Catherine) but since I have that already on Opinel, Victorinox XLT and Skywatcher 12" Flextube, maybe "ΑΓΑΘΟΝ ΕΥΚΤΗΤΟΝ"
It is the third cure of the legendary Tetrapharmakos, the four part cure of Epicureans

"Άφοβον ο θεός,
ανύποπτον ο θάνατος
και ταγαθόν μεν εύκτητον,
το δε δεινόν ευεκαρτέρητον"

Don't fear god,
Don't worry about death;
What is good is easy to get, and
What is terrible is easy to endure

(Philodemus, Herculaneum Papyrus, 1005, 4.9–14)

This is the Wikipedia translation. The third φάρμακον means that "What's of real value is easily obtainable", meaning air, water, food, shelter, love, honor etc, although these are more difficult by today's standards (air is polluted, food is questionable or lacking for most of the world, we have lots of love today but Philodemus didn't have love for gold in mind) and that's why this quote is valuable as a reminder.

Regarding binoculars, it reminds me that I should enjoy goods that are easily obtainable, so as to not put myself over my beloved ones, or gain money with dishonest ways in order to fulfill empty and narcissistic personal imagined needs.

You'll see me with an alpha only if and when I have a lot of money I can't possibly spend on my kids, wife and other responsibilities (that might be never). But I'm lucky enough to be able to enjoy that Maven without neglecting anyone, so it's αγαθόν εύκτητον for me.

You are right Lee, that skin would make me look like a pimp, I'll avoid it.

Από τον Πειραιά βλέπω τον ουρανό και τη θάλασσα, από τον Όλυμπο βλέπω το χρέος μου.

Some excellent wisdom there Kostas. A very nice man on Corfu said something similar to me many years ago when he realised I was English and he was talking about surviving the Second World War and about his country being liberated. As a thank you to the British in general he gave me a huge hug and an orange.

And I love your motto at the end :t:

Lee

Last edited:
Dunno where the lizard skin thing arose, but I have had the Kryptec Black Typhon (their spelling) on a Leupold Mojave and it is on my nephew's FIL 11x45 B2. It looks exactly nothing like lizard skin. It presents a mottled, irregular edges, mosaic of various shades of black and grey. It is laid over a sort of irregular polygonal netting pattern. That is probably where the lizard analogy comes from. It is really pretty neat.

I have the Kryptec Highlander, partly due to my Scottish Highlander heritage, on my B2, but mostly because i like it. The netting pattern is more visible on the Highlander than the Typhon.

Last edited:
Still, 100$ are much for a patern that doesn't add to the optics. And black/grey camo (not the Typhon but a similar) is connected here with a political movement I don't want to have anything to do with.
That brings us to the good, old, evergreen black.

Attachments

• 2015-09-27-22-50-16.jpg
    2015-09-27-22-50-16.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 109
I agree the mechanical and optical performance are key. However, I don't see the appearance customization as a gimmick. It is nice that one can have a choice if they care to do so. So much of this has been lost over the years. I dread the day when our cars are all one color and our food one flavor...:-O

As I've mentioned before, I like camo. Those goofy squiggly lines and masses of color are pure sexy... (and quite functional). My sidekick doesn't agree and is fan to most things pink and purple.

CG

:king: Maven B3 dressed in Kuiu Vias & black trim... pure sexy!!!

CG

Attachments

• Maven B3.jpg
    Maven B3.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 115
Hello,

I have been reading this thread tonight, as a consequence of being informed that Maven will adjust the dioptre setting to allow those who are extremely myopic to use the B3 without eyeglasses. Of course, there is no correction for astigmatism but that personal aberration is not very bothersome in daylight. When the eye's pupil "stops down," many aberrations are reduced, as it does on a camera lens.

I was not informed how much such customization might cost.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hello,

I have been reading this thread tonight, as a consequence of being informed that Maven will adjust the dioptre setting to allow those who are extremely myopic to use the B3 without eyeglasses. Of course, there is no correction for astigmatism but that personal aberration is not very bothersome in daylight. When the eye's pupil "stops down," many aberrations are reduced, as it does on a camera lens.

I was not informed how much such customization might cost.

I apologize, I mentioned it but didn't say much more. Check with Maven - you'll need to phone in to order the modification. When I had my 8x30s made, the cost was projected to be 200 dollars additional. I mentioned this in a thread specifically about the modification, but I got very good pricing as I was the one who pestered them to pester the folks they purchase their parts from about how difficult it would be to offer the change. From what I remember, the cost would be the same if you were buying any of the binoculars they sell.

Before you order a pair, take a look at the Swaro 8x30s. Once the price of the B3 is 700, it's worth a look through them, and here is why:

the 8x30s from Maven are my first pair of binoculars of that size. Some of the limitations on them seem to be a function of that size range - very finnicky eye placement - and some relate to the oculars which are prone to be impacted by off-axis light sources and, due to the particular alignment of my face and the oculars when held in viewing position, reflection from my cheeks as well (my pair will probably go to Maven in the next few months to find out if they can improve the off-axis flaring in the oculars.)

The reason I suggest a look through the Swaros is that they had sufficient focus past infinity for me, which was a surprise. I was also impressed by how much more generous they seemed as far as flexible eye placement in the 8x30 or 32 pair I looked at briefly. Here's the thing: I already owned the Mavens at that point, so I wanted to avoid extreme buyers' remorse, and didn't take careful notes. I think, based on what I remember, that the ones I looked through were the SVs in 8x32 - which clearly don't compare to the Maven pricing - but I would want a look through the CLs as well - if they offer relaxed eye placement and enough overfocus, the additional 300 dollars might be worth it.

All that said, the Mavens are very, very good. Not as good at bringing out color contrast as the Nikon SE 10x40s that my partner got for Christmas but a lovely view once you get the hang of looking through them. For example: a leaf gall on a leaf - yes, you see it with the Mavens, but through the Nikons it grabs your attention as being important to that leaf. I don't think this is mostly the slightly larger image; the texture of the gall is more distinct in the Nikons, probably due to both the improved 3D from the parallax and the subtly better color delivery, above and beyond the higher magnification.

Excepting the SEs, once the Maven's are on a tripod they're easily the best view in the house for most things, and that does include the 102 mm Mak scope configured as a spotter with a bright, 40x eyepiece (effective mag is about 30 diameters.) It's very silly to be putting an 8x30 on a tripod, though, so I'm learning to do without.

They smoke the Monarch 7s in 8x42 - except for the ergonomics. When I first got them, I was not able to look through them quickly, and I missed seeing things I'd have seen if I was using the Monarchs. As I say, my impression is that that is a common issue with learning to use a smaller binocular.

As I get used to them, I get considerably more out of them. I use them regularly to look at (for example) shore birds and the nebulae in Orion's sword. They give very nice views for each of those, with or without eyeglasses, which is very important for me. A few mornings ago, I tried looking for Jupiter's moons; I was not able to see them with the Mavens but I also couldn't see them with the SEs or the Monarchs, though I'd expected both would work well for that, which implies that the conditions rather than the mavens were subpar. And because they're wide field and then some, they also make very nice looking at landscape binoculars.

But the eye placement takes enough getting used to that when we were out last weekend with the relatives, it was the SEs that were getting the spontaneous "ooooh, these are NICE" response. I can't use a 10x well, and the SEs don't come near to accomodating my eyes, so I'm happy that I have the better binoculars for me.

Last edited:
Arthur,

I do remember the discussion of the customization in question. I also seem to remember a quote of $200 but I could be mistaken.

CG,

Well it does look very neat and clean...plus if you ever serve in the military then you have your binocular needs covered.:t:

Funny, I can see the moons of Jupiter just fine with any of the three 8x30 B3's I have.

They are a superb binocular and IMO clearly superior to the CL, particularly with regard to fov..

I think Frank is correct with the $200 cost.

Funny, I can see the moons of Jupiter just fine with any of the three 8x30 B3's I have.

They are a superb binocular and IMO clearly superior to the CL, particularly with regard to fov..

I think Frank is correct with the $200 cost.

I don't fault the mavens - the viewing that morning was not as good as I thought it was. the others showed me that, essentially.

that said, the 8x30 does lose fainter objects before the 8x42, of course.

as far as the cost goes, there is at least one strong opinion that it ought to be less. for me, though, the mod is well worth it - even now that the SEs are unwrapped, I can only use them on a rest or seated, and my glasses add their layer of grime if I'd like to see past 200-300 feet or so.

how do yours do with off-axis light sources? on axis, for instance the moon, mine are quite good, but off-axis mine show a lot of stray light.

Last edited:
I don't fault the mavens - the viewing that morning was not as good as I thought it was. the others showed me that, essentially.

that said, the 8x30 does lose fainter objects before the 8x42, of course.

as far as the cost goes, there is at least one strong opinion that it ought to be less. for me, though, the mod is well worth it - even now that the SEs are unwrapped, I can only use them on a rest or seated, and my glasses add their layer of grime if I'd like to see past 200-300 feet or so.

how do yours do with off-axis light sources? on axis, for instance the moon, mine are quite good, but off-axis mine show a lot of stray light.

Actually I think a lot of of axis problems with any binocular has a lot to do with how well the eye cups fit the face, hands, and eyes of the user. The SE is a prime example of this. Superb binocular with eye cup issues for some users. There seems to me to be some issue with comparable optical quality 8x 30-32 vs 8x 42-43 mm glass regarding eye cup extension. I had a small issue initially with the B3, but it went away when I unscrewed the eye cup assembly and put in an 0-ring to extend the eye cup a tad.

I will readily grant that a 30-32 mm objective will loose dim objects faster than a larger one.

I am however pretty impressed with how bright the B3 is in low light for the size of its objectives.

$200 might well seem excessive, but having the option to use it to gain a field usable binocular seems like a small price to pay. Assuming it works for you.

Last edited:
Arthur,

I do remember the discussion of the customization in question. I also seem to remember a quote of $200 but I could be mistaken.

Hello Frank,

$200 is a little bit steep but then there is no question of the warrantee being cancelled with third party repairs.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

All,

I'll provide my take on the Maven B3 and the 8x30 format in the near future. Would like to use it more before I do. In general, a really nice binocular; not perfect... oh darn! I do agree with Frank's review on some items and some I don't.

In the meantime, if you aren't already aware of it, Maven has indicted they will be offering spotting scopes sometime early 2016.

CG

All,

I'll provide my take on the Maven B3 and the 8x30 format in the near future. Would like to use it more before I do. In general, a really nice binocular; not perfect... oh darn! I do agree with Frank's review on some items and some I don't.

In the meantime, if you aren't already aware of it, Maven has indicted they will be offering spotting scopes sometime early 2016.

CG

I wonder if the spotting scopes will also be offered in customized colors? It could work if they started off with a two-toned color scheme like the Vortex Razor HD spotting scope.

Vortex Razor HD SS

<B>

Actually I think a lot of of axis problems with any binocular has a lot to do with how well the eye cups fit the face, hands, and eyes of the user. The SE is a prime example of this. Superb binocular with eye cup issues for some users. There seems to me to be some issue with comparable optical quality 8x 30-32 vs 8x 42-43 mm glass regarding eye cup extension. I had a small issue initially with the B3, but it went away when I unscrewed the eye cup assembly and put in an 0-ring to extend the eye cup a tad.

I've made a somewhat analogous mod and the Mavens are (for me) different
binoculars - Steve, thank you very much for the suggestion. If others have favorite pairs of binoculars for placement but are looking to upgrade to better optics, this might be an approach that would open up more choices.

I thought about your comment and about how I was holding the Mavens. As I'd said before, I'd been finding getting working eye placement tricky. I needed to be in a very narrow range of IPD settings and at a very specific angle to the binoculars, which I was able to accomplish by resting the oculars against my eye socket just under the eyebrow. Dropping the eyecup a stop lower produced "too close" vignetting much of the time, so I was working with the cups fully extended most of the time - and was right at the edge of "too far" vignetting.

The net result was that there was typically a gap at between my cheek and the bottom of the eyecup. That gap certainly could be a source of reflection - I had thought that it was a light pattern inside the ocular, but on close inspection, there were very similar patterns in the Monarch oculars as well.

Last night I took some measurements of the Maven oculars and the Monarch oculars:

.............................................Maven..................................Monarch

ocular glass...........................23 mm .................................24 mm
diameter

eyecup outer .........................38 mm.................................42 mm
diameter

eyecup height .......................12 mm.................................13 mm
glass to lip

Stated eye relief....................15.1 mm ..............................17.1 mm

Looking at this, it looked to me as if I should try making the Maven eyecups wider, rather than longer.

This morning, I found find some 1.5 mm rubber gasket, and tried wrapping the eyecups with that, to see if it improved eye placement.

It certainly seemed to, but I didn't want to glue the gasket into place.

I thought about your post again and realized that I didn't know how to unscrew the eyecup assembly, and was really curious about how you'd gotten the rubber eyecup covers off to put an O ring under them. I have a pair of Vanguard 10x42s that I don't like much, so I thought I'd see if I could suss out how to remove their eye cups. The first step seemed to be removing the rubber housing over the eye cups.

The rubber housings on the vanguards are not glued into place. Hey presto - I was finished for the day. I didn't need to remove the Maven eyecups, but rather could fit the Vanguard eyecup covers over the Maven covers. Doing so gives me eyecups with an outer diameter of 41 mm.

For me, in this configuration, I have more freedom with the IPD setting than with the narrower eyecup, I'm able to rest the bins on more surfaces on my face, and the off axis glare suppression is much better. I may want to add an o ring as well to get a bit more distance from the ocular to my eye, but the extra thickness helps me with more flexible (perhaps just easier to find?) eye placement.

So again, thank you. I hope others take a few minutes to look into adjusting diameter as well as eyecup height with their good but picky about placement binoculars as well.

$200 might well seem excessive, but having the option to use it to gain a field usable binocular seems like a small price to pay. Assuming it works for you.

I don't know if my enthusiasm for the modification from Maven's been clear, but for me the manufacturer-supported, extended focus is very helpful. For a few years I used microscopes professionally, and I've used binoculars mostly for pleasure (and occasionally for actual fieldwork some time ago) for many years. The folks who trained me were all advocates of viewing without eyeglasses, and the view has always been much, much better for me without them.

Once it became hard or impossible to get good binoculars that could compensate for my nearsightedness, I found it very frustrating. I persisted in slamming focusers into the end of their ranges and squinting. Once my eyes got to the point where I needed bifocal lenses, I was really frustrated because even if I chose to use the glasses, the positioning was taking much more thinking than I liked. I've considered getting RK, but a friend who's an opthalmologist thinks that for me it's a riskier procedure to the kind of eyesight I use than is worth it.

The binoculars themselves - let me elaborate a bit on what I meant when I wrote that they smoked the Monarchs (which are nice binoculars, superior in all ways to the Vanguards and very easy to use.)

It comes down to precision and crispness of focus. The Monarchs are apparently not able to focus as crisply as the Mavens. Some of that may well have a lot to do with better optics - the contrast on the Mavens is very good, and edges in foliage are very well represented, even glistening.

But the other point with the Mavens is that they're very precise. I don't often steer through focus more than once with them, where I can saw back and forth through focus with the Monarchs. Also, the Monarch diopter setting does something, but what it does varies a great deal - I find myself resetting it far more often than I need to with the Mavens. I put that down to poor precision in the mechanism and possibly also some issue in the main focuser that can make the adjustment drift. (Not from near to far, but from day to day, I'm aware that differences in near/far diopter adjustment are common, although I don't seem to need it with the Mavens.)

Last edited:
Well, you learn something every day. I had not thought much about increasing eye cup diameter. Probably because that has never been a direction I personally needed to go. I have had to decrease diameter a time or two, but never have I had to increase it. So I'll file the suggestion away, as I am not adverse to doing a bit of modification.

The eye cup assembly of the Maven (all three models) simply unscrew. Grab the eye cup and twist, and off they come. Occasionally one will be tighter than perhaps needed, but you will really have to force the issue to foul things up.

Self sealing silicone plumbers tape works pretty well. It does not have a sticky tape layer, but is a soft strip of silicone you wind around the object, stretching ever so slightly. It contracts onto itself and is pretty durable. Bicycle inner tube rings often work well too.

Just goes to show that not every design can fit every face and significant use difference alterations can many times be made with practically zero chance of damage to the instrument.

Well, you learn something every day. I had not thought much about increasing eye cup diameter. Probably because that has never been a direction I personally needed to go. I have had to decrease diameter a time or two, but never have I had to increase it. So I'll file the suggestion away, as I am not adverse to doing a bit of modification.

It was your point about gapping that got me to look at it carefully. I knew I was up off my cheek with the placement I was doing against the upper eye socket, but I was able to get the glass to the same spot each time and knew the FOV there. The alternative was to not be in contact with my face, but it's hard to keep a steady alignment that way unless the bins are on a tripod.

The best way to get more points of contact with my face to see if I was bouncing light off my face into the ocular, without bring the binocular either too close to my eye or my eye out of the line of the exit pupil, seemed to be to mimic the diameter of an eyecup I knew worked for me - I'm just pleased as punch that it the eye placement relaxes so much.

And it says something about the glass as well that despite a learning curve, I'm keeping at it. They really are very good and now, much less picky :)

The eye cup assembly of the Maven (all three models) simply unscrew. Grab the eye cup and twist, and off they come. Occasionally one will be tighter than perhaps needed, but you will really have to force the issue to foul things up.

Self sealing silicone plumbers tape works pretty well. It does not have a sticky tape layer, but is a soft strip of silicone you wind around the object, stretching ever so slightly. It contracts onto itself and is pretty durable. Bicycle inner tube rings often work well too.

Just goes to show that not every design can fit every face and significant use difference alterations can many times be made with practically zero chance of damage to the instrument.

Great, just pulled the cups off for a quick look, then reseated them. I'm going to bring in a pair of 42 mm O rings next, fit them under the vanguard eye rings, and put a small daub of rubber cement or similar on the long flap of the eye ring. I'll mostly leave the onboard eye cups as the base, but very nice to know how to pull them - for cleaning the oculars, having the eyecups off is helpful.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back