Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Making one image from many.

Old Friday 31st August 2018, 16:03   #1
falconer2406
BF Supporter 2018

Making one image from many.

Can anyone help with a link for a tutorial in LR or PS whereby I can learn how to make a single image using parts of other images please.
I want to create a single image of a bird coming into a nest with food using five other images.
I don't want to blend the images more make one shot a sequence of shots?

BF Supporter 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 31st August 2018, 21:31   #2
Mono
Hi!

Can't speak for Lightroom but in Photoshop (I am using CS5) the first thing you need to do load all the different pictures into layers of a new image. There is a tool in Bridge to do this Tools>Photoshop>Load Files into...

If all shots are taken from the same angle and with the same zoom it will be straight forward but you may need to align the images if there is a common background. There is a tool for this in Photoshop, select all the Layers then go Edit>Auto-Align Layers, but this can be hit and miss. If this fails then you will need to use the Transform Tool on each layer individually, lowering the opacity so you can see what you are doing.

As for merging the images there are a couple of automatic things to try depending on what you want.

First, try selecting all the layers and going to Edit>Auto-Blend Layers. If that's not what you want then...

Second, select all the layers then go to Layer>Smart Objects>Convert to Smart Object. Then go back to Layer>Smart Objects>Stack Mode>Minimum. If that doesn't do what you want then try other stack modes.

If all the automatic methods fail then you will have to do in the old fashioned way! Give each layer a layer mask then use the Brush Tool to paint in Black/White the bits in each layer you want to Hide/Keep.

There may be some super auto plugin I am unaware! But good luck
Old Thursday 20th September 2018, 22:14   #3
falconer2406
BF Supporter 2018

Hi Mono,

Apologies for the late reply i have been away in France.

I really appreciate your tips and will be giving them a go over the next few weeks.
Many thanks indeed.

Regards

Keith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
Can't speak for Lightroom but in Photoshop (I am using CS5) the first thing you need to do load all the different pictures into layers of a new image. There is a tool in Bridge to do this Tools>Photoshop>Load Files into...

If all shots are taken from the same angle and with the same zoom it will be straight forward but you may need to align the images if there is a common background. There is a tool for this in Photoshop, select all the Layers then go Edit>Auto-Align Layers, but this can be hit and miss. If this fails then you will need to use the Transform Tool on each layer individually, lowering the opacity so you can see what you are doing.

As for merging the images there are a couple of automatic things to try depending on what you want.

First, try selecting all the layers and going to Edit>Auto-Blend Layers. If that's not what you want then...

Second, select all the layers then go to Layer>Smart Objects>Convert to Smart Object. Then go back to Layer>Smart Objects>Stack Mode>Minimum. If that doesn't do what you want then try other stack modes.

If all the automatic methods fail then you will have to do in the old fashioned way! Give each layer a layer mask then use the Brush Tool to paint in Black/White the bits in each layer you want to Hide/Keep.

There may be some super auto plugin I am unaware! But good luck

BF Supporter 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: