• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I go 7x (1 Viewer)

I want a 7x32. Who makes them? That would be a good size.

Nobody, and that's your best point, no doubt. Hope we'll see one in the future, but I doubt it. The closest would be the Fury and the Meopro 6.5x32, which are "closer than close enough", albeit the "6" is scary for some.
Then there are the old SLC and some newer 7x30 porros, which would be a preferable size over the 8x30s but also sometimes the 6x30s.

You're right the 7x35s and 7x36s are bigger and heavier but they also add more of the advantages I have mentioned.

As soon as I'm not under open sky (daytime) or in dusk (anywhere), I see my Fury excel. You should try one, and you will curse Nikon for not making a 7x32 EDG II!

I think we are pretty close to agree, close enough I'd say. I'll keep looking for an 8x32 that suits me for occasional use, but can't exclude I'd get a 10x25 to complement my Fury.

//L

Last edited:
I would LOVE it if Swarovski did a SLC HD in a 7x30 if/when they upgrade the SLC NEU that was the 8x30 model.

But...... I know they will not go the a 7x format for the small 30 mm size. They never even upgraded the 7x30 SLC into a NEU form- since the last year of production for the 7x30 SLC was 2001 or 2002. I know I love my 1999 7x30 SLC. And I will tell you it is one nice piece of glass.

So, I can only wish- but since, except for the 7x42 Habicht porro they do not even make any 7x anymore, they will never do a 7x in the 30mm size again.

But if they did do a SLC HD 7x30- I am telling you, it would be AWESOME.

To bad you can't get custom made bino's ;^)

Side note: ( First size bino's that Swarovski ever made were 6x and 7x

Daniel Swarovski started his Austrian Precision Crystal cutting company in 1895 with the motto "Constantly improving what is good." The first binoculars the Swarovski Company built were 6x30 Habicht (Hawk) in 1949. The Habicht 7 x42 porroprism field glasses produced in that same year set the standard for hunting binos of that era.

I simply can't understand how you can choose these aspects to insist the 8x32 is better than a 7x32, since

- the weight of an 8x32 would be the same as a 7x32 or a 10x32
- the FOV can be made larger in a 7x32
- the DOF is decidedly better with a 7x than with an 8x
- the brightness (in twilight, I'd add) is better with a 7x32 than an 8x32
- the handling, if you mean ergonomics, wouldn't differ.

Two of five properties are equal and three are worse than a 7x32!
The only advantage it has over any 7x would be the bigger magnification and sometimes the AFOV. I insist the 8x32 is a compromise, and while not necessarily a bad one but possibly the best compromise on many occasions, it still is a compromise.

Well, if we're talking fantasy binoculars rather than real binoculars then yes, I'd love a 7x32.

7x is fine if there's a correspondingly wide FOV, say 8 or 9 degrees. However, I prefer a 30-32mm bino, and top class 7x models are usually 42-50mm, so they're too big and heavy for me. That's why - speaking personally - 8x30/8x32 is the best compromise.

Last edited:
My first birdwatching binoculars were 10x, CZJ Dekarems followed by the 10x40 Classic Zeiss. I used 10x binos for the first 25 years of birding.Therefore when I bought my Zeiss 7x42s iit was with some misgivings. I found the advantages of the 7x far outweighed the disadvantages and rarely used my 10x. Most birders also have telescopes for use when they need higher magnification.

Dennis, the huge range of 8x32s, compared to what's there between 6.5x32 and 7x36 indeed makes it very easy to select a model that fits perfect (sic!) in terms of price, view and handling.
This, however, does not imply that the 8x32 has an inherent advantage over a 6.5x32 to 7x36 of equal quality.

I chose to concentrate on promoting an imaginary 7x32, which may have been an error since I actually (secretly ;)) had the 6.5x32 in mind.
I'm a fan of midsized binoculars since they make it possible to bring two at a time without too much effort.

The objections against the 7x42s size and weight are not really valid, IMHO, since so many 10x42s are in regular use among us BFers and birders in general.
If they were equipped with a larger FOV like the FL, they would be more attractive among prospective buyers.
It could be questioned why choose a 7x if the 8x has the same FOV.
The Vortex Talon 8x32 would be very interesting if the FOV specification is correct.

A 7x midsized or fullsized binocular must be tried to make you a believer. I fear the 7x format has reached the tipping point when there's no return from extinction.
So few models left is a shame and unearned.
The low-powered bins are a format I'll never abandon. I might get an 8x as an exception that confirms the rule.

//L

Last edited:
Dennis, the huge range of 8x32s, compared to what's there between 6.5x32 and 7x36 indeed makes it very easy to select a model that fits perfect (sic!) in terms of price, view and handling.
This, however, does not imply that the 8x32 has an inherent advantage over a 6.5x32 to 7x36 of equal quality.

I chose to concentrate on promoting an imaginary 7x32, which may have been an error since I actually (secretly ;)) had the 6.5x32 in mind.
I'm a fan of midsized binoculars since they make it possible to bring two at a time without too much effort.

The objections against the 7x42s size and weight are not really valid, IMHO, since so many 10x42s are in regular use among us BFers and birders in general.
If they were equipped with a larger FOV like the FL, they would be more attractive among prospective buyers.
It could be questioned why choose a 7x if the 8x has the same FOV.
The Vortex Talon 8x32 would be very interesting if the FOV specification is correct.

A 7x midsized or fullsized binocular must be tried to make you a believer. I fear the 7x format has reached the tipping point when there's no return from extinction.
So few models left is a shame and unearned.
The low-powered bins are a format I'll never abandon. I might get an 8x as an exception that confirms the rule.

//L
"The Vortex Talon 8x32 would be very interesting if the FOV specification is correct."

I tried a Vortex Talon 8x42 at Cabellas in Grand Junction,CO. and I was really amazed at the lack of Quality Control. The focus was stiff as crap and harder to turn in one direction and the overall build quality was really low. I have seen this on alot of the Chinese binoculars Zen Ray included. You have to go through about ten of them before you find one good enough to keep. I wouldn't take a Vortex if you gave it too me. The specifications are good on them but the QA is crap.

I`v been looking at the 0% deal with Uttings trying to decide to buy a Victory FL before they get replaced, it seems there won`t be a 7x42 HT, I don`t like a 10x, I`v always used 8x.

I prefer not to buy online but this 0% is a good deal, I`v not been able to try the 7x42 FL, anyone got an opinion on the 7 vs 8 ?

Torview,

Are you sure that the 7x42 FLs will be withdrawn? On the contrary, a few days ago I asked a UK retailer about the situation (as I also have an interest in getting the 7x), they told me:

"There is no plan from Zeiss to discontinue the FL range as the HT range is more oriented to the hunting market and are soft at the edges in comparison."

Best wishes

Dave

1. Reality - no manufacturer will make a 7x32
2. Since no 7x32 will be made, 6.5x32 is as close as is going to get
3. Meopta Meopro 6.5x32 has butter smooth focus, as good as Nikon LX 8x32, 440 ft. field of view. About $300 is as good price.
4. Mine has been great, small and extremely sharp, sharper compared to a few Zeiss 8x32 FL I have tried

1. Reality - no manufacturer will make a 7x32
2. Since no 7x32 will be made, 6.5x32 is as close as is going to get
3. Meopta Meopro 6.5x32 has butter smooth focus, as good as Nikon LX 8x32, 440 ft. field of view. About $300 is as good price.
4. Mine has been great, small and extremely sharp, sharper compared to a few Zeiss 8x32 FL I have tried

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7x32-Deep-S...2-/390434175367?forcev4exp=true#ht_500wt_1393

I wonder if these are any good?

Torview,

Are you sure that the 7x42 FLs will be withdrawn? On the contrary, a few days ago I asked a UK retailer about the situation (as I also have an interest in getting the 7x), they told me:

"There is no plan from Zeiss to discontinue the FL range as the HT range is more oriented to the hunting market and are soft at the edges in comparison."

Best wishes

Dave
Hi Dave.

Honestly, No, It was, I`m ashamed to admit, an assumption, good to hear it will be staying, its just when looking at dealers stocks, some have listed the Victory as "discontinued".

Many thanks.
John.

and...

I would love to have someone from Carl Zeiss confirm that the Victory T* FL series will not be discontinued. In looking at Eagle Optics, it sure seems like the Victory FL is going the way of the Carolina Parakeet. Doesn't change the fact that I would like one in an 7x42.

John

A 7x midsized or fullsized binocular must be tried to make you a believer. I fear the 7x format has reached the tipping point when there's no return from extinction. So few models left is a shame and unearned. The low-powered bins are a format I'll never abandon. I might get an 8x as an exception that confirms the rule.//L

I used to own a Leica 7x42 BA. It had a lovely view but it was too heavy for me.

Not 7x, but I see that Opticron's new Savanna porro is available as a handy and inexpensive 6x30:

http://opticron.co.uk/Pages/savanna_wp.html
http://www.opticronusa.com/Pages/savanna_wp.html

What do you think?

I used to own a Leica 7x42 BA. It had a lovely view but it was too heavy for me.

Not 7x, but I see that Opticron's new Savanna porro is available as a handy and inexpensive 6x30:

http://opticron.co.uk/Pages/savanna_wp.html
http://www.opticronusa.com/Pages/savanna_wp.html

What do you think?

"Why not?" A good 6x30 porro is hard to beat, but the Yosemite has earned a cult reputation.
I'm hoping to buy a Zen-Ray 7x43 this autumn and then I'm done, I guess.
Any further purchases must be curiosities or super bargains that I can resell with profit, If I want.

Before I was into binoculars, I think it was around 2000/2001, I had the opportunity to try a B&L Discoverer 7x42. I still remember my fascination about their easy and awesome view, the smooth surface without any bumps near my hands and their solid, but not heavy feeling.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to buy a Zen-Ray 7x43 this autumn and then I'm done, I guess.

I had considered that model but I read a thread on here about someone having to extend the eyecups with inner tubes I believe, to make them usable - I went for the safer 7x36 option as I couldn't try before I bought, and didn't want the hassle of sending back - I hadn't read similar about that model, and know I am susceptible to eye relief issues following trying the Leica 7x HD. Think it all depends on your head physique - if you have deep set eyes they would probably be fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back