• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bresser Everest (ED) 8x42 (2 Viewers)

IPA? Oh my, sounds hoppy. Have tried similar but haven't developed a taste for it yet. One of my future step-sons works at a beverage distributor. He brings home a variety of beverages. Many micro-brews. I think he would fully appreciate what you are partaking in. ;)

I, on the other hand, am satisfied with a much simpler blend.

Hmm, this sounds much like my recent discussion of optics. :D

Try a Sierra Nevada Brewing Ruthless Rye while evaluating one of Fan Tao's ultra wide angle glasses.
It gives a whole new dimension in optics.. ;)

You guys are paranoid. I defended Dennis' right to speak without being relentlessly attacked (ad-hominem...look it up) and then commented on the often unbridled praise heaped upon inexpensive problematic optics. Caveat Emptor to all readers looking for so-called bargains.

I made general comments, attacked no individual and argued sans animus.
Happy Birding!

Definition of AD HOMINEM from Mirriam-Webster

1: appealing to feelings or prejudices rather than intellect

2: marked by or being an attack on an opponent's character rather than by an answer to the contentions made

Pileatus,
Please understand that I make these comments sans animus.........
Fact: This is a thread devoted to the Bresser Everest.
Fact: The Bresser Everest is an "inexpensive problematic optic."
Fact: Frank D's review & subsequent comments on the Bresser Everest were reserved and devoid of hyperbole.
Fact: My comparison of the Bresser Everest and four other bins was likewise reserved and devoid of hyperbole.
Fact: The only "unbridled praise" was "heaped" by non other than Dennis. "WOW, as good as the EL, etc."
Fact: The only unbridled criticism was also heaped by Dennis.

So, without resorting to an attack on Dennis's character let me respond to the contention's made by Dennis (the opposite of an ad-hominem attack i believe).

First the contentions:
The Bresser Everest has got that "WOW" factor. The ergos are as good as a Swaro EL. It is sharper on axis then a Swaro EL. It has an almost crystalline on-axis view which approaches the resolution of the Habicht's. The focus is better than a Swaro. The accessories are better than a Swaro. Frank deserves a lot of credit in finding these and doing all the research he does to find excellent values like these. These binoculars are worth four or five times what they are selling for. I highly recommend these and I would get a pair if I were you before they are sold out. (Caveat Emptor???)

Interlude:
A rubber eye cup comes loose on the Bresser Everest. A two minute fix on a bin as good as an EL for $200.

A comment from Dennis:
I swear I am not buying any more Chinese POS binoculars no matter how much Frank rants and raves about them.

Finally, My response (sans animus of course! Really, I bet a few beers with Dennis would be fun):
What the F...! Dennis, are you kiddin' me?? How do I respond intelligently to all of the above. You swing from extremes of love and hate so fast!!
My dime store diagnosis.........You are a bipolar binoholic. Please understand that this is not an attack on your character but a response to the contentions and comments you made above. Please get help before it's too late.
We're all rootin' for ya' buddy.

The last line made me laugh to the point that my kids asked me what I was laughing at. I couldn't begin to explain it to them.

Dennis,

I love ya man. I am not laughing at you but rather the ridiculousness of it all! :D

So....

Mine was bad out of the box. It had a poor focus mechanism. Focus wheel could be rocked on its axis to the point it appeared as if it was going to fall off. I gave it the slightest of pull to see if it would pop off... but it didn't. I didn't try any harder because I really didn't want to break it. The focus mechanism was almost siezed at first rotation but loosened up after running the wheel its full rotation a couple dozen times. However, about 2/3 of the way thru its travel there was a noticable point of resistance (more than I've experienced with any binocular at any price point) which made fine focusing thru this point difficult as it was easy to overshoot with the extra force required. Combine this with a hinge that was slight to the loose side, if you weren't careful you would change the IPD while trying to focus.

I'll admit the unit appealed to me when I pulled it out of its case, but that was short lived. I thought the optics were OK, but the focus mechanism was poor and the metal parts seemed cheap and tinny instead of solid. The focus wheel would "ting" if I caugt it with my finger nail and the metal diopter adjustment felt just shy of flimsy, a bit like the thin metal lid on a beverage bottle but not as bad. I also found the diopter a bit confused between being a click stop adjustment and a friction adjustment.

I sent it back and the guys I bought it from were decent and refunded my money. I didn't want an exchange, my first impressions were my lasting impressions.

I hope you do well with yours.

My .02,

CG

So....

Mine was bad out of the box. It had a poor focus mechanism. Focus wheel could be rocked on its axis to the point it appeared as if it was going to fall off. I gave it the slightest of pull to see if it would pop off... but it didn't. I didn't try any harder because I really didn't want to break it. The focus mechanism was almost siezed at first rotation but loosened up after running the wheel its full rotation a couple dozen times. However, about 2/3 of the way thru its travel there was a noticable point of resistance (more than I've experienced with any binocular at any price point) which made fine focusing thru this point difficult as it was easy to overshoot with the extra force required. Combine this with a hinge that was slight to the loose side, if you weren't careful you would change the IPD while trying to focus.

I'll admit the unit appealed to me when I pulled it out of its case, but that was short lived. I thought the optics were OK, but the focus mechanism was poor and the metal parts seemed cheap and tinny instead of solid. The focus wheel would "ting" if I caugt it with my finger nail and the metal diopter adjustment felt just shy of flimsy, a bit like the thin metal lid on a beverage bottle but not as bad. I also found the diopter a bit confused between being a click stop adjustment and a friction adjustment.

I sent it back and the guys I bought it from were decent and refunded my money. I didn't want an exchange, my first impressions were my lasting impressions.

I hope you do well with yours.

My .02,

CG
That's a 50% mechanical failure rate. IMO we definitely have a QC problem. Frank are you reporting this to Bresser. Maybe they can correct these problems. It is a shame to have such a comfortable binocular with excellent optics fall down on little bugs.

Yes, I did Dennis. Through the local retailer but I will follow up with an email to the gentleman I exchanged emails with at Bresser as well.

That's a 50% mechanical failure rate. IMO we definitely have a QC problem. Frank are you reporting this to Bresser. Maybe they can correct these problems. It is a shame to have such a comfortable binocular with excellent optics fall down on little bugs.

You cannot take a sample size of four and extrapolate it to overall manufacturing. Your unit didn't fail, you had a gripe with it. Also consider that, in reality, optics geeks are going to be a little more critical of quirks that most people wouldn't consider issues.

There is not a 50% mechanical failure rate on these binoculars. I'm privy to dealer and distrubution info on these and the actual defect rate is less than 1 in 20.

Tom,

I am sorry to hear that you had a problem with the Everest. I look forward to hearing how they resolve the issue for you....and how long it takes. Please do post your experiences.

Frank,
I just got a call from Mark at Bresser. They are replacing my Everest. it was shipped today so I will have it early next week. I will let you know how things go with the new pair.
Customer service was quick and without hassle. I sent my defective bins out on Monday, 4/8 and Mark called back in four days to give me the update. Can't beat that!
Tom

You cannot take a sample size of four and extrapolate it to overall manufacturing. Your unit didn't fail, you had a gripe with it. Also consider that, in reality, optics geeks are going to be a little more critical of quirks that most people wouldn't consider issues.

There is not a 50% mechanical failure rate on these binoculars. I'm privy to dealer and distrubution info on these and the actual defect rate is less than 1 in 20.

Do you work for Bresser?

When someone refers to secret 'dealer and distrubution info' to back up a claimed 1 in 20 defect rate, I don't believe them.
When they add that 'optics geeks' are going to be more critical than most people as part of their pitch, I believe them even less and would refrain from giving them my money.

Without getting personal here, I'd like to know more about the dealer and distribution info you reference, if you are free to do so.

I completely agree you cannot take any number of anecdotal references, much less one or two and turn that into a data point. I also think the actual failure rate is probably around the 1 in 20 you reference. But that gets into the definition of failure.

So whatever additional information you can provide to reinforce yourself would probably be helpful. ;)

I'm privy to dealer and distrubution info on these and the actual defect rate is less than 1 in 20.

If you really are privy to information concerning the "defect rate" please tell me that 1 in 20 is totally unacceptable and the manufacturer is striving to improve. I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one who holds to the rather old fashion believe that a defective product should NEVER be shipped out to begin with.

Steve

Tax Season Sale

I am not sure how this relates to what posters have been paying, but I saw a post on another forum saying Optics Camp has dropped the price of the 8x and 10x Bresser Everest models by $10 as part of their Tax Season Sale. The sale goes until April 20th, 2013.

Bresser Everest 8X42 on sale at $199.99:
http://opticscamp.com/bresser-everest-binoculars/13-bresser-everest-8x42-ed-binocular-1702000.html

Bresser Everest 10X42 on sale at $239.99
http://opticscamp.com/hunting-binoculars/14-bresser-everest-10x42-ed-binocular-1702100.html

It is not a big sale, but the $10 savings should leave Dennis enough cash to buy a bottle of Super Glue and have some money left over for a non Chinese beef McDouble off the McDonald's Dollar Menu.

The $40 pricing difference between the 8x and 10x seems a little larger than other binoculars in this price category. For example, the Zen-Ray ZRS 8x and 10x is $225 and $235 direct from Zen-Ray and the Sightron II Blue Sky 8X42 / 10X42 is $172.99 and $179.49 at Optics Planet. I doubt that there is a $40 manufacturing cost difference between the two. I wonder what the thinking is behind this pricing strategy. I can see the potential where it diminishes the perceived value of the 10x.

I am not sure how this relates to what posters have been paying, but I saw a post on another forum saying Optics Camp has dropped the price of the 8x and 10x Bresser Everest models by $10 as part of their Tax Season Sale. The sale goes until April 20th, 2013.

Bresser Everest 8X42 on sale at $199.99:
http://opticscamp.com/bresser-everest-binoculars/13-bresser-everest-8x42-ed-binocular-1702000.html

Bresser Everest 10X42 on sale at $239.99
http://opticscamp.com/hunting-binoculars/14-bresser-everest-10x42-ed-binocular-1702100.html

It is not a big sale, but the $10 savings should leave Dennis enough cash to buy a bottle of Super Glue and have some money left over for a non Chinese beef McDouble off the McDonald's Dollar Menu.

The $40 pricing difference between the 8x and 10x seems a little larger than other binoculars in this price category. For example, the Zen-Ray ZRS 8x and 10x is $225 and $235 direct from Zen-Ray and the Sightron II Blue Sky 8X42 / 10X42 is $172.99 and $179.49 at Optics Planet. I doubt that there is a $40 manufacturing cost difference between the two. I wonder what the thinking is behind this pricing strategy. I can see the potential where it diminishes the perceived value of the 10x.
No that's all right. I found my value binoculars. The Leupold Hawthorne 7x42. No super glue needed. No Chinese for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back