• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7x recommendations (1 Viewer)

We got a pair of these and tried them out. I do not think they are worth the $222 price tag. The focuser feels inaccurate and sloppy. Yes, the center is sharp and an okay view, but the outside goes very soft. I was not impressed by the build quality.

I should be getting a copy of the Opticron 8x42 soon to try out. At just a little bit more ($249 from B&H), I'm expecting these will be significantly higher quality.

Marc
I agree with you on the Celestron Granite's 7x33. Been there done that. Same result as you. I think you are going to have to go up the food chain if you want a higher build quality. I think you are going to have to spend $400 to $500 to notice a big improvement in quality. I still recommend the Leica Trinovid BN 7x42. It is going to be way higher quality than some of these you are looking at. The build quality on the BN is as good if not better than some of the $2k alpha's although they may have a slight edge in optics.

Last edited:
The Opticron 7x42 Discovery WP PC is well worth its very reasonable price of $285.00.

Opticron is not trying to do more with this binocular than a small 24 ounce 7x42 is capable of doing. They have given it long comfortable ER of 25mm; close focus of just under 5 feet and a 408'@1000yd FOV with a very large "sweet spot."

Opticron's service in the USA is efficient. I purchased mine from Gordon at "Honey Creek Bill and Beak," in Lewistown, PA. I had to return my first one because the diopter was almost impossible to move. I returned it directly to Opticron, USA in North Carolina. It was replaced promptly and the new one is working just fine and is a pleasure to use.

Bob

https://www.opticronusa.com/Pages/discovery_wp.html

Last edited:
Marc,

You were quite specific in your original post that your girlfriend has hand tremor and you were looking for a 7x binocular to try to overcome that problem.

I have been in exactly the same position as your girlfriend and have overcome the problem in a different way.

I used to use a Nikon 10x42 SE but had to reduce the magnification to an 8x32 SE due to temor. This worked for a while but the inability to achieve a sharp image and the eyestrain involved became too much and I was on the point of giving up using binoculars. However, before I did, I posted on the Forum and ask if anybody had any suggestions for overcoming the problem. I was pointed in the direction of 7x and also the use of the finstick support which I tried and even bought a Nikon 7x42 EDG, but that didn't significantly improve the situation.

By chance, I was looking at a secondhand mint Canon 10x30 IS on the famous website and took the plunge. At £200 ($250) it wasn't too much to loose if it didn't solve the problem.

The first time I looked through them and then pressed the image stabilisation button was a revelation. The shaking ceased and the image became rock solid - I could see more detail than looking through any of my top class binoculars. I still have them and the view is so addictive that I now have other magnifications as well and only have Canon IS binoculars now. My wife has a Pentax 6.5x21, that she uses for bugs and flowers which I can use if I need close focus.

I hope that your girlfriend can try a Canon as it might be the answer to her problem.

Regards

Stan

Last edited:
If I were in the market for a 7X binocular on SOMEWHAT of a budget, I'd look at the following:

Used SLC 7X42
Used/NIB Leica 7X42 Trinovid BN
Meopta B.1 Meostar 7X42
Zeiss FL 7X42

Some of those are going to be harder to find than the others...from the Meostar on the low end to the Zeiss FL/SLC on the high end. All are nice binoculars and all could potentially be "keepers."

I have the Opticron 7X42. I got mine from Gordon too! I've used it a LOT over the summer....It's a good binocular for a beginner....hey, it's a $250 binocular. In no way will it compare optically to one of the others above. It's not Opticron's best work optically, either. Just saying.....

ALSO...Stan above makes a good case for the Canon IS binocular. If y'all can swing the ergonomics, it might just solve the "shakes" issue.

Attachments

• IMG_1140.jpg
    IMG_1140.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1272.JPG
    IMG_1272.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 178
Hi Chuck. As always I find your photos useful--and nice to look at! Could you please do this if it is not too much trouble? In these photos the Opticron Discovery 7x42 does not look as short as the 5.2 inches stated in the manufr.'s website. Could you please post a picture of that and the Leica Ultravid 7x42 side by side? Thanks!

If I were in the market for a 7X binocular on SOMEWHAT of a budget, I'd look at the following:

Used SLC 7X42
Meopta B.1 Meostar 7X42
Zeiss FL 7X42

..................................................................................................

I have the Opticron 7X42. I got mine from Gordon too! I've used it a LOT over the summer....It's a good binocular for a beginner....hey, it's a $250 binocular. In no way will it compare optically to one of the others above. It's not Opticron's best work optically, either. Just saying.....

Chuck, I made the comment in the "quote" below in Post #23 and I have added herein the 2 clarifying paragraphs below it.

"Opticron is not trying to do more with this binocular than a small 24 ounce 7x42 is capable of doing. They have given it long comfortable ER of 25mm; close focus of just under 5 feet and a 408'@1000yd FOV with a very large "sweet spot.""

What more does anyone want from $285.00 binocular if that is within ones budget? And unlike the others listed you can find this one easily and get a full warranty. It even has a lightweight Magnesium body!

There were never a lot of top of the line 7x42's to choose from and Allbino's never bothered to review them and rank them giving them a base to compare them.

Bob

Last edited:
Zeiss T*FL 7x42, look no further and you won't look back.

I started as a world birder in 2008 with my first out-of-the-continent trip.
10 years later, I have seen my 4000th species and my binoculars have survived many days in the field, long busrides, lots of bushwhacking...

Comparing binoculars during those 10 years, I still haven't seen anything as good (for sharpness and contrast) in low light / forest / for fast focusing / easy tracking of fast flying birds / butterflies with that FOV...

So even if I wanted to buy a new pair (I told myself I 'earned' new binoculars every 10 years), I don't see any reason to upgrade them in the coming 10 years. I bought them around 1100 euro 10 years ago so cost per year is almost lower than 100 euro, not even counting the second-hand value if I would sell them (I won't).

I guess the Leica 7x42 isn't too far off, but it has less FOV and brightness, and the Swarovski is a bit heavier. Buy one of those, sell them in 10-15 years and together with the highest pleasure of viewing, the cost per year will be probably lower than any of the cheaper alternatives.

Bob, post 27,
We have investigated quite a few 7x42 binoculars, the results are published on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor. And preparations are made to investigate some historical 7x binoculars as well.
Gijs van Ginkel

Bob, post 27,
We have investigated quite a few 7x42 binoculars, the results are published on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor. And preparations are made to investigate some historical 7x binoculars as well.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thank you Gijs,

I look forward to reading your reviews (in English of course.)

I have explored your web site and it is very professional in its set up. I would very much like to visit your House of Outdoor some day.

Unfortunately I do not know Dutch even though my ancestors came to America from Holland about 7 generations ago.;) My surname used to be spelled Keyser as in Pieter Dirkshoon Keyser. The "y" was changed to "i".

You might be interested to learn that my oldest son, who is an Assistant Professor of Physics at a College in Eastern Maryland competes in Judo as recreation. He is in the 210 pound weight class.

I gave him my 2010 vintage Swarovski SLC 8x30 B when he got hired. It works well with his glasses.

Cordially,

Bob

The link to Gijs's test: [Link]

The table gives the gist.

Some of it can probably be understood easily or guessed without knowing Dutch.
The following are what seems to me probably difficult for those who do not.
I used Google Translate and copy here the translation as given by them.

I take here the models, which are the
warovski roof,
[L]eica Ultravid, and
[Z]eiss FL,
and the comparisons, of interest to me.

Oogschelpen -> eyecups

Randonscherpte -> Edge blur
S: Low zone of edge blur
L: Pretty spacious zone of edge blur
Z: Yes, 26% of field of view out of focus

Geschikt voor waarnemen met bril op ->
Suitable for observation with glasses on
S,L,Z: Yes

Kleurweergave -> Color rendering
S,L,Z: Good

Restanten kleurschifting ->
Remnants of color distribution ?-> Chromatic aberration
S,L,Z: Small border

Gebruikscomfort -> User comfort
S: Good
L: Very good, compact
Z: Very good

Eindoordeel -> Final judgement
S,L,Z: +++++

Last edited:

Used SLC 7X42
Meopta B.1 Meostar 7X42
Zeiss FL 7X42

Some of those are going to be harder to find than the others...from the Meostar on the low end to the Zeiss FL/SLC on the high end. All are nice binoculars and all could potentially be "keepers."

ALSO...Stan above makes a good case for the Canon IS binocular. If y'all can swing the ergonomics, it might just solve the "shakes" issue.

That list you gave is pretty much what I have ebay saved searches for! Mostly I'm seeing the SLC 7x42b in the 1996-2000 vintage and no trinovid 7x42s. There are some new Meopta 7x42 from Germany, but they are up at $1185.

I'll look in to the IS option too.

Thank you Gijs,

I have explored your web site and it is very professional in its set up. I would very much like to visit your House of Outdoor some day.

Unfortunately I do not know Dutch even though my ancestors came to America from Holland about 7 generations ago.;) My surname used to be spelled Keyser as in Pieter Dirkshoon Keyser. The "y" was changed to "i".

You might be interested to learn that my oldest son, who is an Assistant Professor of Physics at a College in Eastern Maryland competes in Judo as recreation. He is in the 210 pound weight class.

I gave him my 2010 vintage Swarovski SLC 8x30 B when he got hired. It works well with his glasses.

Cordially,

Bob

Bob

Thanks for the glimpse into your Dutch past. Nice to know :king:

House of Outdoor is owned by Jan van Daalen who is very happy indeed to act as host for Gijs's tests.

Lee

Hi Chuck. As always I find your photos useful--and nice to look at! Could you please do this if it is not too much trouble? In these photos the Opticron Discovery 7x42 does not look as short as the 5.2 inches stated in the manufr.'s website. Could you please post a picture of that and the Leica Ultravid 7x42 side by side? Thanks!

Done! And I even got out a REAL camera too!

The Discovery....I had TWO o-rings under each eyecup to hold the proper position for me with glasses since it doesn't have any eyecup stops. So, that may have contributed to it looking larger than it actually IS....

Just for fun, I weighed the binoculars in the picture..

Leica- 26.5 ounces
T4WP- 26.1 ounces
Discovery- 24.0 ounces

Attachments

• DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 188
Chuck, I made the comment in the "quote" below in Post #23 and I have added herein the 2 clarifying paragraphs below it.

"Opticron is not trying to do more with this binocular than a small 24 ounce 7x42 is capable of doing. They have given it long comfortable ER of 25mm; close focus of just under 5 feet and a 408'@1000yd FOV with a very large "sweet spot.""

What more does anyone want from $285.00 binocular if that is within ones budget? And unlike the others listed you can find this one easily and get a full warranty. It even has a lightweight Magnesium body!

There were never a lot of top of the line 7x42's to choose from and Allbino's never bothered to review them and rank them giving them a base to compare them.

Bob

Of course I can't disagree with any of that. If you want a 7X42 roof there's the Discovery then, well...maybe the Meopta then the Leica and that's about it. So a LOT of difference in the price.

The only fly in the Discovery's ointment for ME is....have you looked thru 8X42 T4WP? I made a mistake one day with both the T4WP and the Discovery in the truck....I got out to go birding and picked up what I THOUGHT was the Discovery...and was like very impressed! About midways I saw it was the T4WP that I had picked up.....which is LESS expensive and optically I could almost immediately tell a difference.. Not exactly apples to apples but I'm sure you get my point....

Of course I can't disagree with any of that. If you want a 7X42 roof there's the Discovery then, well...maybe the Meopta then the Leica and that's about it. So a LOT of difference in the price.

The only fly in the Discovery's ointment for ME is....have you looked thru 8X42 T4WP? I made a mistake one day with both the T4WP and the Discovery in the truck....I got out to go birding and picked up what I THOUGHT was the Discovery...and was like very impressed! About midways I saw it was the T4WP that I had picked up.....which is LESS expensive and optically I could almost immediately tell a difference.. Not exactly apples to apples but I'm sure you get my point....

Hi Chuck,

Well one can't argue with personal satisfaction and I won't try.

The T4 also doesn't try to do more than a small 8x42 was designed to do either but they are designed differently than the Discoverys.

The price difference between them is $56.00 and I will try to explain that.

The difference in cost of the T4s with the Discovery starts with the binocular's frames.

The 7x42 and 8x42 Discovery are lighter in weight (2 ounces) than the T4 because they have a more expensive magnesium frame.

On other pertinent matters the Discoverys also have more IPD available for use and a 33' wider FOV in the 7x42 and an18' wider FOV in the 8x42 than the T4. The Discovery also has longer E.R. in both cases.

Bob

Chuck, thank you for obliging as usual! Thanks for the fine photo, and also the weight figures (which I take it are as shown, without strap and lens covers).

Those rings at the eyecups make a big difference. I did see something was up (no pun!) and thought I could mentally adjust for it but now see I had not done so enough. The height difference vs Leica is easily noticeable in your photo, and in fact looks more than the stated 5.2 vs 5.6 inches. Sorry also to put you through the hassle of removing and refitting the rings!

Do you mind explaining this a bit: "I've used it a LOT over the summer...It's a good binocular for a beginner...hey, it's a $250 binocular. In no way will it compare optically to one of the others above. It's not Opticron's best work optically, either. Just saying..." Why despite those negatives did you use it a lot? Especially why this instead of the Leica? Easier handling? Security situations where one would rather risk a much less costly binocular? Thanks. I had virtually decided on the Opticron vs the Leica when you spoil my plans!

As for the T4 mistake episode above: amateur psychology is a tricky thing, but maybe what impressed you was the easier making out of detail due to 8x while you were thinking of though not seeing the greater depth!

PS. Pressing you a bit further: how would it place in this test? A few months back you wrote of the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42: "I've never gone birding with this binocular and said 'I wish I had brought my ______ binocular instead.'" Were there times, during this possibly limited experience with the Discovery, that you wished for, say, the Ultravid? Thanks!

Last edited:
You want an excellent and extremely durable 7x42 with close focus? I think the Zeiss 7x42 FL is the obvious answer. It has a very easy and wide view, good feel in the hands, and the close focus is quite good for a bin in this category. Not only does it focus down to 6 feet, but just as importantly, the focus ratio is rapid and precise, which allows for combination butterflying+birding. Other 7x42 do not focus as close and/or they have very slow close focus which hinders its utility.

That said, if hand shake is a big problem, image stabilization may be the best solution and may supersede close focus concerns.

--AP

Thank you Gijs,

Cordially,

Bob

Here

http://translate.google.com/transla...kers-van-Swarovski-en-Zeiss-def-FEBR-2015.pdf

Maico,

Thank you very much for the translation of Gijs reviews of the 7x42s. I will read it with great interest, as I am sure many other 7x42 fans will.:t:

I have the SLC and the Victory.

Bob

Bob, if you install the google translate app. into your browser bar you can translate websites at the click of a button.
Or just copy and paste into google translate for shorter paragraphs
https://translate.google.co.uk/?hl=en&tab=wT

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back