• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (4 Viewers)

As i'm not being paid to surf the Internet by a very sympathetic and understanding employer;) I am now going 'out in the field' in order to give you something to read (hopefully).....

Laurie:t:

Haven't been to Middleton for a couple of months! Just wondered what it is like underfoot and is the bridge open yet?

Cheers
About 70% of the reserve is out of bounds including the southern meadow circular walk, the west track to North Pit and Dosthill as the bridge is still closed. Apart from that the paths are mostly dry and the Spring migrants are pouring in.
Four new ones for me today were Greenshank and Common Sandpiper both NP, Whitethroat and Sedge Warbler, Gropper reported reeling.
Also seen were several Ringed Plover and LRP, 4 Redshank, 1 Green Sandpiper, 1 Dunlin, 4 Swallow were over the farm.
six species of butterfly were seen including Orange Tip and Comma.
Geoff

About 70% of the reserve is out of bounds including the southern meadow circular walk, the west track to North Pit and Dosthill as the bridge is still closed. Apart from that the paths are mostly dry and the Spring migrants are pouring in.
Four new ones for me today were Greenshank and Common Sandpiper both NP, Whitethroat and Sedge Warbler, Gropper reported reeling.
Also seen were several Ringed Plover and LRP, 4 Redshank, 1 Green Sandpiper, 1 Dunlin, 4 Swallow were over the farm.
six species of butterfly were seen including Orange Tip and Comma.
Geoff

Thanks for the update, much appreciated

It's been a bit quieter over the last two days best being :-
16/4, 2 Avocet, 1 Green Sandpiper, 6 Dunlin and my first Kingfisher and House Martin of the year for the reserve.
17/4, 2 Avocet, 1 Green Sandpiper, 1 Common Sandpiper, 4 Common Tern and 1 Artic Tern on NP.
Geoff

First saw on fishers mill but they quickly moved to jubilee. 9.25ish.

Also RP and LRP. Redshank, green sand. Black cap. Goosander, shelduck, lsw on feeders at 8.35.

Good morning had. Nice to see so many birders around when i left at 1145ish. I counted 47 walking or stood looking at the stilts. B :)

First saw on fishers mill but they quickly moved to jubilee. 9.25ish.

Also RP and LRP. Redshank, green sand. Black cap. Goosander, shelduck, lsw on feeders at 8.35.

Good morning had. Nice to see so many birders around when i left at 1145ish. I counted 47 walking or stood looking at the stilts. B :)

Besides the Black-winged Stilts etc. also seen were 3 Avocet, 1 drake Garganey on FMP, 1 Little Egret, 2 Common Tern, 6 Sand Martin, 2 Swallow, singing Reed Warbler and Sedge Warbler and 2 Gropper were reported.
Geoff

A couple of digiscoped images from this afternoon.

Nice visit but service road remain shocking.

Attachments

• IMG_8493.JPG
    IMG_8493.JPG
    286.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_8496.JPG
    IMG_8496.JPG
    375.9 KB · Views: 58
No sign of the Gargeney late afternoon. 3 Avocet and a Green Sandpiper on JWs. 5 Swallows over the farm. An Oystercatcher on the North Pit.

All the best

Steve

a couple of the avocets from the other day. A first for me at Middleton.

Attachments

• IMG_3370.JPG
    IMG_3370.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3385.JPG
    IMG_3385.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 48
Bird Race

Middleton list so far

1 Avocet
2 Blackbird
3 Blackcap
4 Black-headed Gull
5 Blue Tit
6 Buzzard
7 Canada Goose
8 Carrion Crow
9 Cetti’s Warbler
10 Chaffinch
11 Chiffchaff
12 Common Tern
13 Coot
14 Cormorant
15 Cuckoo
16 Curlew Sandpiper
17 Dunlin
18 Dunnock
19 Gadwall
20 Garganey
21 Goldcrest
22 Goldfinch
23 Goosander
24 Grasshopper Warbler
25 Graylag Goose
26 Great Crested Grebe
27 Great Spotted Woodpecker
28 Great Tit
29 Green Woodpecker
30 Grey Heron
31 House Martin
32 House Sparrow
33 Jay
34 Lapwing
35 Lesser Black Back Gull
36 Linnet
37 Little Egret
38 Little Ring Plover
39 Long Tailed Tit
40 Magpie
41 Mallard
42 Moorhen
43 Mute Swan
44 Nuthatch
45 Oystercatcher
46 Pheasant
47 Pied Wagtail
48 Pigeon (Feral ) – counted last year
49 Raven
50 Redshank
51 Reed Bunting
52 Reed Warbler
53 Ringed Plover
54 Robin
55 Rook
56 Sand Martin
57 Sedge Warbler
58 Shelduck
59 Shoveler
60 Skylark
61 Snipe
62 Song Thrush
63 Stock Dove
64 Swallow
65 Swift
66 Teal
67 Tufted Duck
68 Whitethroat
69 Willow Warbler
70 Woodpigeon
71 Wren
72 Kestrel
73 Hobby

Some obvious ones missing like - Jackdaw, Little Grebe, Starling, Mistle Thrush, Garden Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, Meadow Pippit, Bullfinch, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Greenfinch and Kingfisher. Can anyone fill in the gaps.

Steve

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back