• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor, Dobrugea , Romania (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Dear colleagues

Please may I kindly request advice about the bird photographed in the attached photos which I saw a few days ago not far from Cheia Dobrugei (Cheia Gorge)
I am not good on raptors so am hoping it is a species I can add to my life list.

Sorry for the poor quality of photos. Also I had to crop them heavily in order to be able to upload the images.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 113.jpg
    113.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 114.jpg
    114.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 8
These are difficult pictures but the rather obvious pale median coverts, well visible breasr band, not so dark carpal patch make me think Common over Long-legged Buzzard

Dear Tom
Thank you for that input. I appreciate that .
May I mention that as far as I am aware Common Buzzard isnt known as a regular bird in that part of Romania, Dobrugea. I heard steppe buzzard may be. Still I might well be wrong.

Dear Tom
Thank you for that input. I appreciate that .
May I mention that as far as I am aware Common Buzzard isnt known as a regular bird in that part of Romania, Dobrugea. I heard steppe buzzard may be. Still I might well be wrong.

Sorry for confusion, by Common I meant subspecies Steppe B.b.vulpinus of Common Buzzard, they can be pretty similar to Long-legged

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back