• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sussex Birding (1 Viewer)

Ben Rackstraw

Saw some talk of such a thread being started a few weeks back, but nothing seems to have come of it.

Here's somewhere for everyone to relay their news regarding birding plans and sightings in East and West Sussex.

As well as posting anything of interest here, make sure you forward notable records to the excellent sites dedicated to Sussex birding already - the Sussex Ornithological Society website, "The Birds of Sussex" website and RXWildlife for the Rye/Pett area.

If I've missed any or anyone has any other good sites to recommend, please go ahead and add them.

I don't want to publish their URLs without permission, they can be found easily enough via Google.

I'll kick things off, with a summary of my recent Sussex birding activity.
Have been scouring Horseshoe Plantation occasionally at weekends, hoping for a Yellow-brow or Pallas's Warbler, but best that I've managed are the Firecrests. Anyone with more of an aptitude for photography than I have ought to get down there, as the Firecrests have been showing off at point blank range - one fed unconcerned at a distance of c30cm as I fumbled with the autofocus this weekend!

I've not seen the Ring Ouzels that have been reported from Shooters Bottom, as I'm too tight to pay for the parking there (I use the free NT carpark at Birling Gap), and by the time I've made my way, via Horseshoe Plantation, along there it's generally been too late in the day (or bucketing down with rain, in the case of this past Sunday).

Otherwise, the usual cast of Peregrine, Raven, Blackcap, Chiffs and Wheatear in the Belle Tout/Birling Gap area, as well as a Tawny Owl on each of my past two visits.

Not made any plans for this weekend's activity yet.

Had a good look round East Head,West Wittering last weekend.

Usual crop of Knot and Dunlin on the sands but distant.Had some great views of Cormorant hunting and catching lots of what looked like small eels.

Flushed a Short Eared Owl which we watched hunting for 10 minutes before it flew off towards Pilsea.

Plenty of Linnets around with a few Twite,Stonechat and Wheatear also.

Went up to Pagham afterwards..........the usual stuff there but got great views of 3 Common Buzzards over the Severals being mobbed by a Kestrel,Magpies and Crows in turn.

Morning spent at Church Norton today, with a quick stop over at the West Fields before heading home for lunch. Nothing out of the ordinary, a few finch flocks overhead first thing being one of the few signs of winter movement.

- Female Marsh Harrier drifted W over severals at about 10am
- Two Peregrines sitting out nicely in the middle of the harbour, before being scared off by some idiot running across the mudflats after his errant dog
- 1 Firecrest in the churchyard
- Only 1 Med Gull seen in/around harbour, several more (8+) in with BHGs over the West Fields, also at least 6 Buzzards there (one very pale bird).

Just seen that a Black Guillemot was reported off Church Norton this afternoon...nothing but GC Grebes offshore when we were looking, perhaps we should have searched a bit more thoroughly!

Hmm...and a vulture species also reported there today. How odd!

Last edited:
Ben Rackstraw said:
Saw some talk of such a thread being started a few weeks back, but nothing seems to have come of it.

Here's somewhere for everyone to relay their news regarding birding plans and sightings in East and West Sussex.

As well as posting anything of interest here, make sure you forward notable records to the excellent sites dedicated to Sussex birding already - the Sussex Ornithological Society website, "The Birds of Sussex" website and RXWildlife for the Rye/Pett area.

If I've missed any or anyone has any other good sites to recommend, please go ahead and add them.

I don't want to publish their URLs without permission, they can be found easily enough via Google.

Hi Ben,

The talk a few weeks ago about starting a Sussex Birding thread was by me and another Sussex BFer but we've both been away so nothing happened. Also as I only recently got back I only saw your thread today so hence no response from me. I will add to it in due course. Good that you started it.

Yesterday we had a BF meeting a Pagham with 10 people. A report will appear in a day or two so watch, the "Your Birding Day" threads.

Joanne

Hi Ben

Well done for kicking this off - I had planned to start a Sussex thread and made a few suggestions, but as Joanne said, I was away and we didn't get round to it. I don't think SoS will mind you posting a URL link (I'm a member) and will welcome reports as long as new posters give full name, address etc. (Pags report is on Members Meet forum btw). Shame you didn't join us as you were there at the same time!!!!!! We missed the Griff too, along with the perry and marsh. Apparently there was a blacknecked grebe on the eastside.

Bit concerning that we have black guillies and l.auks though

Last edited:
deborah4 said:
Bit concerning that we have black guillies and l.auks though

Hi Deborah,

Don't be too concerned about the little auks, they always pass the South coast this time of year albeit in small numbers moving North. Nothing like the numbers they had on the East coast watchpoints last Thursday though!
Forgot to add I also had a Great Northern Diver past at Selsey this morning, my first of this year!

ATB,

John.

JohnnyH said:
Hi Deborah,

Don't be too concerned about the little auks, they always pass the South coast this time of year albeit in small numbers moving North.
John.

Hi John

I'm aware Little Auk can be see Offshore in the English Channel this time of year, but they are always vagrants to these waters, wintering as they do, in the North Atlantic. In fact, huge numbers can be pushed from their typical wintering areas down to the North Sea and into the English Channel, possibly as a result of bad weather. It is NOT so usual, however, to have Little Auk within the walls of the Brighton Marina or ''floating on the Sea'', or ''very close to the shore'' or ''drifting with the tide'' in the high numbers they are being reported. I have heard of and witnessed first hand, unprecedented starvation casualties amongst Auk species the past few months both on the NE Coast of Scotland (and on the West Coast), as well as seeing them in habitat situations they shouldn't be in. The concern is that many of the ones seen locally, will die of starvation if they don't find their way to their traditional feeding/wintering grounds in the North Atlantic Ocean. Incidently, the ones we are reported off the Sussex Coast are moving EAST, as opposed to flying North (they've come from the North), presumably to try and make their way to the North Sea, where they will, pending health I would think, try to continue on up to the N.Atlantic. However, if they are being pushed from the North as a result of food depletion in the N.Atlantic in the first place, (ie. as opposed to bad weather conditions) the prognosis is not too good, IMO. Ornithologists are interested to know whether it is their search for food or just bad weather that displaces Little Auks - given the food situation this year and the horrendous casualties reported elsewhere, my concern is that it may be a search for food on an unprecedented scale, that may prove to be futile for a large number of the population.

A Morning at Arlington Reservoir

I'd planned a mornings birding at Arlington today and woke up to a very foggy morning. After dropping the teenage children at their different busses (I live in the country and bus stops are two miles away, Sussex can be like that.) I set off for Arlington, wondering a bit if it would be a futile exercise and a waste of time due to the fog. Would I see anything? On arriving it was indeed very foggy, I was almost the first one there and you couldn't see across the reservoir let alone the mallards on the foreshore. But it did look hopeful though, the sun was trying to peak through the high cloud, it was just on the ground that visibility was only about twenty metres. Hmmm.

I decided to walk to the left, along the path and through the woods towards the hide and was immediately rewarded with a large flock of tits, :bounce: including about ten long tailed tits. They kept fluttering along in front of me but could I get a picture? No, I would love to know how people manage to photograph this specie, they never stay still for me and all my pictures of them come out as blurry blobs in the middle of leafy backgrounds. Lots of common birds, including meadow pipits, gold finch, chaffinch, all the way to the hide, it took me an hour to get there through the woods as the long tailed tits were so entertaining. Also I think being the first person along the path in the morning means you see more, nothing has been disturbed. I heard a kerfluffle in the undergrowth and a stoat scuppered out followed a minute later by a very large rabbit. Obviously the stoat didn't get his breakfast and the bunny lives another day.

Arriving at the hide and things were clearing up nicely and the sun was beginning to come out but nothing exciting, heron, cormerant, too many mallards, BH gulls, GBBGs, GC grebes, coot, moorhen, A couple of middle aged birders came in, stayed about five minutes and pronounced, "not much movement today" and left. I'd been there for over an hour watching, how could they be expected to be taken seriously? It was about ten minutes later that I spotted something unusual among the mallards and grebes. Swimming towards me were three unusual ducks which I soon realized were probably juvenile scaup I think, but I might be wrong. These are passage migrants in Sussex and not common so I hope I'm right. It's a first for me. Pictures below so if I'm wrong, apologies. (Comments welcome) They kept comming and swam up to the hide and sort of posed. Posted on the board in the hide was a sighting of 300+ gadwall only two days ago but they'd gone and I didn't see any.

An hour later and I was walking along the dam wall, didn't stay long as there was a cold wind but saw the only raptor of the day, a kestral, more meadowpipits, pied wagtails and one pochard who didn't look particularly happy hanging out with the mallards. This was the only one of the day. Canada geese were sparce today too, only nine, a big contrast to the last time I was here six weeks ago when there were well over a thousand. Through the bushes and behind the farm, more common species including the only one greenfinch of the day. This ties in with what others have been saying about the low numbers of finches, particularly greenfinches, in the South.

Thirty species, seen at Arlington today, not a huge number but an enjoyable day and made a change from my usual patch. :clap:

Attachments

• IMG_2897a resized.jpg
    IMG_2897a resized.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_2900a resized.jpg
    IMG_2900a resized.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_2901b resized.jpg
    IMG_2901b resized.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Hi Joanne (and hello thread and fellow Sussex folks too!)

Sounds like a good day to me! Have only been to Arlington a couple of times before, more towards the middle of the winter. Wasn't that much around when I went there IIRC, but wandering off to the northwest, I did come across decent numbers of fieldfare & other thrushes around Raylands Farm, and there were good numbers of siskin performing in the alders between there and Sessingham Farm too. Wonder if they'd be around now?

Am squinting at them there ducks. Can young tufties be ruled out? White bums, squarish heads, just a little bit of white by the bill. I've got funny eyes today though, so could be wrong...

All the best
Nick

Moonshake said:
I did come across decent numbers of fieldfare & other thrushes around Raylands Farm, and there were good numbers of siskin performing in the alders between there and Sessingham Farm too. Wonder if they'd be around now?

Am squinting at them there ducks. Can young tufties be ruled out? White bums, squarish heads, just a little bit of white by the bill. I've got funny eyes today though, so could be wrong...

All the best
Nick

Hi Nick, I didn't see any fieldfares yesterday, in fact haven't seen any yet this autumn. We usually get them but so far none, I've heard the berry crop is good in Scandinavia this year so maybe they won't come until they run out there.

Re the ducks, I did think tufted too and looked for tufts, even little ones but could see no sign of them. I'm willing to be corrected though.

Last edited:
You're right, no tufts at all really are there? Bad hair day??

Had a couple of fieldfare on the hawthorn near Hollingbury golf course on Sunday, down near the allotments. Loads and loads of blackbirds in the same area though though.

Moonshake said:
You're right, no tufts at all really are there? Bad hair day??

Had a couple of fieldfare on the hawthorn near Hollingbury golf course on Sunday, down near the allotments. Loads and loads of blackbirds in the same area though though.

Hi Nick

Good to see you on the boards (thanks for your feedback on t'other thread ;) ). Let me know if you want to meet up for spot of birding on Golf Course. Btw, I think Tufties too - tuft not always visible (hardly at all on juvs) but hard to tell the difference from pics though.

:t:

Let me know if you want to meet up for spot of birding on Golf Course

Think it might stretch even your creative writing skills to squeeze any excitement out of the usual 16 magpies and a shifty-looking pigeon.

Moonshake said:
Think it might stretch even your creative writing skills to squeeze any excitement out of the usual 16 magpies and a shifty-looking pigeon.

You'd be surprised what's up there Nick - found some real crackers over the summer - usually check the woods out too at same time (Wild Park)

... any idea why the pigeon was looking shifty? ;)

I managed a couple of hours at Piltdown Pond, of Piltdown Man notoriety, today. It's a small fishing lake surrounded by woods and a golf course. After braving the tough looking schoolboys truanting to go fishing, sounds like Mark Twain, I found a few good birds. Not much exciting on the water but did see a goldcrest, treecreeper, a pair of bullfinch and a flock of long tailed tits in the woods, nothing remarkable but I was pleased with the goldcrest. |=)|

Attachments

• IMG_2932c resized.jpg
    IMG_2932c resized.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Another one for the year list today, a gorgeous male Black Redstart on Ferring beach this afternoon, hunting insects around the breakwaters.

Cheers,

John.

Hi Ben, folks

It's been suggested that Pulborough Brooks might be a good location for a Sussex/Hants bash in early January - Everybody welcome to offer suggestions/dates/come etc!!! - see 'Members Meetings'.

Loved your report of CH Joanne btw - hope you're gonna organise a Spring bash for us? ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back