• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Self-drive Thailand itinerary (1 Viewer)

Last in KK and Pak Thale I get Toyota Fortuner.
I payd 650 Euro for 16 days include full insurance with botton, glas, roof and no paying in case of accident.
Clearance is high and was also good advantage to drive between the many pools in Laem Pak bia/ Pak Thale.

I paid half that for the Toyota. Insure excess through third party.

Cars in Thailand

Unless the road has been improved, you will need a real 4x4 for DCD. At KK you cannot go beyond the first stream without a high clearance vehicle but it is easy to hitch hike on the road as there is plenty of traffic or you can arrange a lift up with staff. Otherwise, I have found a cheap (100 euro/week) economy vehicle suitable for DI, DAK, CS, PT and KY. I have also hired the cheap Hiluxes in the past and they are not usually 4x4. It was possible to hire 4x4s in Chiang Mai for US$20 a day but that was 10 years ago.

Yes, I've booked extra insurance through third party too for my Philippines trip - you can get year-long or one-off if memory serves. Easy enough to find on internet - many sites and price comparison. Works out much cheaper.

I have recently returned from Thailand. We were told that we could not book accomodation over the counter apart from tents and it had to be booked in advance on the website. Which was pretty annoying, although the tents were fine.

Steve, can you clarify whether you were able to hire tents while you were there? I have booked the tent hire at Khao Yai but Ban Krang campsite at Kaeng Krachan does not seem available online.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back