• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Urosticte benjamini (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

There is no dedication for Urosticte benjamini in the original article from Bourcier:

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k2989j/f187.image

But Gould wrote when he created the new genus Urosticte:

"...and who has named it Benjamini, after the eldest son of Mr. Leadbeater, a name so well known to all naturalists."

http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/i...e/305/mode/1up

In Jobling dedication is to John Benjamin Leadbeater (1800-1852) English natural history dealer and eldest son more famous Benjamin Leadbeater (1760-1837) (page 70)

If I read http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=412107.0 I think there are a couple of things incorrect.

1) Benjamin Leadbeater senior lived 1773-1851
2) Benjamin Leadbeater (1830-1890) was the eldest son of John Leadbeater (1800-1856) who was son of Benjamin Leadbeater senior lived 1773-1851

See as well the Obituary of John http://books.google.de/books?id=qjlD...page&q&f=false

So James do you agree to this comments that the bird is dedicated to Benjamin Leadbeater (1830-1890)?

Thank you, Taphrospilus. Yes, I agree that Urosticte benjamini is named for Benjamin Leadbeater, Jr. Another thread alerted me to this discrepancy, and I had already corrected my MS and the HBW Alive Key.

The dedication to Heliodoxa leadbeateri seems only to be dedicated for John Leadbeater Sr. (1800-1856) and not as written HBW Alive...

Benjamin Leadbeater, Sr. (1773-1851), John Leadbeater, Sr. (1800-1852) and John Leadbeater, Jr. (1832-1888) English natural history dealers, agents and taxidermists (Heliodoxa).

I have to come back on John Leadbeater, Sr. (1800-1852). In The Naturalist : a popular monthly magazine, illustrative of the animal, vegetable, and mineral kingdoms, Vol 6, Year 1856 p. 192 is this Obituary The magazin was published between 1851-1858 See here. Means

• Vol 1 1851
  • Vol 2 1852
  • Vol 3 1853
  • Vol 4 1854
  • Vol 5 1855
  • Vol 6 1856
  • Vol 7 1857
  • Vol 8 1858

We can see year 1856 in the same Vol 6 e.g. p. 186. here or see attached Thumbnails.

I can't believe that the obituary was published 4 years after his death (but in general it is possible). It is clear from the obituary that he died 28th of May and that he was in his 52nd year.

As the publication date seems to be 1856 I would interpret the date of death 24th May 1856 and the date of birth ?1804?. I am not sure if in his 52nd is 51 or 52 or near to 53? Therefore question marks on date of birth as I don't know how many month from or to 52. I am open to accept (1800-1852) if somene give other evidence where this dates come from?

Attachments

• Leadbeater.jpg
    Leadbeater.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Wood warbler.JPG
    Wood warbler.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
How about this link? Not the true "evidence" you´re looking for, but clearly based on something.

If correct I do not know.

Björn

PS. Although the sixth volume of the Naturalist (where the Obituary, however odd, was published) is clearly from 1856, see title page; "MDCCCLVI".
---

Last edited:
Of course I have seen what you indicated in Archives of Natural History. I just thought as my source is closer to 1986 this might be an error in the article in Archives of Natural History and everybody is copying the error. As indicated in my initial post here in RootsChat it is as well year 1856. My theory on date of birth 1800 as date of birth came from the wrong date of death minus 52 years.

Last edited:
This is my interpretation of the Leadbeater family.... These are just rough notes.

LEADBEATER, BenjaminEnglish. B. 12.01.1773, Leeds, Yorkshire - D. March 1851, London. Married with Esther (1776; 1854), and became two sons John and Benjamin both succeeded him in the firm He was one of the first that established a taxidermy firm in England. The business would remain for three generations. Benjamin was educated as carpenter and as cabinet-maker. He moved from Yorkshire to London in the early part of the 20th century. He set up his business at 19, Brewer Street, Golden Square at Piccadilly. By 1824 the firm was known as Leadbeater & Son.

LEADBEATER, JohnEnglish. B. Baptized 14.09.1800, Leeds, Yorkshire - D. 08.05.1852, London. Son from Benjamin Leadbeater, and married to Lucy (1805; X) and became five children.

LEADBEATER, John - English. B. Baptized 05.09.1831, Westminster, London - D. 07-08-1888, Melbourne, Australia. Son from John Leadbeater, expanded the business with his father enormous. Married with Eliza (1841: 1888). He moved to Australia by 1858, and was appointed at Melbourne museum at 24.05.1858.

LEADBEATER, Thomas English. B. Approx. 1841 - D. X. Son from John Leadbeater, and married at 30.10.1870 at Christchurch, St Marylebone with Ellen Richardson (1828; X).

In this case very surprising that an obituary was published 4 years after Johns death and that according the rootchat...

Will of John Leadbeater, Ornithologist of Saint James Westminster , Middlesex 09 August 1856 PROB 11/2237.

All happened 4 years after his death.

According rootchat:

Deaths Jun 1856 Leadbeater John St James W 1a 240

I assume the census below have nothing to do with his death.

1851 census HO107 1485 folio 357
19 Brewer Street St James Westminster
John Leadbeater 46 Head Married Ornithologist employing 6 men Yorkshire
Lucy Leadbeater 41 Wife Married Farnborough Warwickshire
Benjaman Leadbeater 20 Son St James Middlesex
John Leadbeater 18 Son St James Middlesex
Lucy Leadbeater 17 Daughter St James Middlesex
Emily Leadbeater 13 Daughter St James Middlesex
plus 2 servants

As well interessting is:

JOHN LEADBEATER
Christening: 30 SEP 1804 Saint Peter, Leeds, Yorkshire
Father: BENJAMIN LEADBEATER

...as 1856 minus 52 years. Note baptisms is not equal to date of birth.

But there seems to be a second entry...

JOHN LEADBEATER
Christening: 14 SEP 1800 Saint Peter, Leeds, Yorkshire
Father: BENJAMIN LEADBEATER

..which makes it more confusing. Or maybe the first died as a child? I don't know.

Last edited:
Thank's to Justin we know now about the 1800 born John:

ADDED the register shows John Leadbeater, son of Benjamin of Woodhouse, buried 14 December 1800, aged 4 months.

This can be found in rootchat. So John Leadbeater Sr. (1804-1856) seems to be correct.

LEADBEATER, BenjaminEnglish. B. 12.01.1773, Leeds, Yorkshire - D. March 1851, London. Married with Esther (1776; 1854), and became two sons John and Benjamin both succeeded him in the firm He was one of the first that established a taxidermy firm in England. The business would remain for three generations. Benjamin was educated as carpenter and as cabinet-maker. He moved from Yorkshire to London in the early part of the 20th century. He set up his business at 19, Brewer Street, Golden Square at Piccadilly. By 1824 the firm was known as Leadbeater & Son.

If we trust the Spectator from 29. Mar. 1851. (unfortunatelly not free here).

On the 22d, in Camden Road, Mr. Benjamin Leadbeater, the well-known naturalist; in his 79th year.

So death 22. March 1851.

P.S. I think certain entries in the key are still not correct as it is John Leadbeater Sr. (1804-1856) and not as claimed here https://www.hbw.com/dictionary/key-to-scientific-names-in-ornithology?name=benjamin or https://www.hbw.com/dictionary/key-to-scientific-names-in-ornithology?name=leadbeateri (1800-1856)

P.P.S. https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/53344#page/301/mode/1up Leadbeater's possum OD and rare work from Jon leadbeater https://massivepr.tv/rare-taxidermy-pieces-turn-heads-victor-mee-auctions/ .

Last edited:
syn. Pardalotus punctatus xanthopyga

I am a little bit confused if I read http://www.zoonomen.net/avtax/n/x.html

Apparently, Ramsay had written a description of the new bird on 10 December, to be called Pardalotus chrysoprymna, but changed to P. leadbeateri before he sent it to ZSL for publication in PZS. It was read to the society but by then he was aware of McCoy's description so he withdrew his paper.

Of course the name was mentioned in The Ibis https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/34616#page/283/mode/1up

At the meeting of the Zoological Society on the 28th of February last was read a paper by our contributor Mr. E. P. Ramsay, describing a new bird under the name of Pardalotus leadbeateri.

But isn't it in this case a Nomen nudum? Or was Ramsay read published?

Last edited:
At the meeting of the Zoological Society on the 28th of February last was read a paper by our contributor Mr. E. P. Ramsay, describing a new bird under the name of Pardalotus leadbeateri. The March number of 'The Annals and Magazine of Natural History' contains a description of the same species by Prof. McCoy, under the name of Pardalotus xanthopygus.
The name is arguably available (i.e., not nude), because it was published with "a bibliographic reference to a previously published description or definition" of the taxon that it denotes.

McCoy's Australasian OD, for anyone interested (29 Dec 1866):
McCoy F. 1866. On a new Victorian species of diamond bird. The Australasian (Melbourne), new ser., 1 (39): 1221.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/138051076

Note McCoy's text in the weekly Newspaper The Australian* [link in Laurent's #18, or see attached excerpt]:
The discovery of this bird is due to Mr. J. Leadbeater, taxidermist at the National Museum. ...,
... which clearly must be a reference to John Leadbeater (Jr.).

If of any use/help?

/B

Attachments

• McCOY 1866.jpg
    McCOY 1866.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Benjamin was educated as carpenter and as cabinet-maker.

May I ask where this information came from?

As well I am wondering of original source here?

Here Darwin met the taxidermists whose speciality was preserving, stuffing and storing. Everyone provided pointers: Benjamin Leadbeater, exhibiting cockatoos from Australia, taught him to pack skins in Turpentine-soaked boxes.

Or here. The footnote here.

I assume the information came from here:

Darwin, C. R. [Notes on preserving Beagle specimens]. CUL-DAR29.3.78

Before packing up skins rub the box inside with turpentine. putting tobacco camphor &c with it. — Leadbeater

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back