• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Kites (1 Viewer)

Highland Cattle Centre Whittonstall

I saw an untagged Red Kite at Muggleswick, near Derwent reservoir last week. Not that far from Whittonstall.

It may have been one of the kites nesting in the wood of this farm. Visitors are able to see the nest from the Tearoom, and after visits and advice from Northen Kites, viewing is going to get even better. Mr. Richard Halford, the owner plans to build a hide, and there will be telescope viewing too.
The kites are WT40, a female, Ziggy, adopted by Emmanuel college, Gateshead, and WT 74, Jammy Dodger, adopted by St. Joseph's School, Highfield, Rowlands Gill.
We had an excellent view yesterday afternoon, of Ziggy on the nest.

Attached is a general view of the farm, the highland cattle and the wood where the nest is, all under careful security.

For more info: http://www.thehighlandcattlecentre.co.uk/

Attachments

• HCattle-Centre_a_-copy2.jpg
    HCattle-Centre_a_-copy2.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Hi I realise this is probably the wrong place for this but thought it might be of some interest. We travel the M40 between Birmingham, Oxford and on to the M25. we always keep a count of the Red Kites we can observe along the route. Last year gave our lowest figure of 3 only, this Easter (2009) we observed 15 Red Kites, 13 betwen High Wycombe an Oxford, but quite unusually 2 Red Kites 15 miles North of Oxford, this is the furthest north of Oxford we have ever seen them, quite exciting. I drive my wife is the observer, still get some good sightings.

PeterK

Hello Peter, it's not that unusual anymore to see kites further afield from the core area of reintroduction in the Chilterns. I receive more and more sightings now from new locations.

You may be interested to know we are once again involved in yet more reintroduction projects, with one currently ongoing in Aberdeen, although this is now the third year. News of the chicks collected will be available on the website below. I will be posting a new thread in due course giving an update on the young chicks.

It may have been one of the kites nesting in the wood of this farm. Visitors are able to see the nest from the Tearoom, and after visits and advice from Northen Kites, viewing is going to get even better. Mr. Richard Halford, the owner plans to build a hide, and there will be telescope viewing too.
The kites are WT40, a female, Ziggy, adopted by Emmanuel college, Gateshead, and WT 74, Jammy Dodger, adopted by St. Joseph's School, Highfield, Rowlands Gill.
We had an excellent view yesterday afternoon, of Ziggy on the nest.

Attached is a general view of the farm, the highland cattle and the wood where the nest is, all under careful security.

For more info: http://www.thehighlandcattlecentre.co.uk/

Thanks for the info June, will pop across for a look and a cup of coffee one weekend. Hopefully I will get some decent photos this time. It will be great when there is a proper hide as it will allow people to get a good view and also protect the birds privacy and avoid any disturbance.

I am sure I saw a Red Kite fly over the road west of Riding Mill towards Hexham, it was quite low but I was drinving and couldn't stop to get a better look. By the time I had turned around and drove back it was gone.

It isn't very far from the Highland cattle centre so could be one of the pair from there

Red Kite sighting Riding Mill

I am sure I saw a Red Kite fly over the road west of Riding Mill towards Hexham, it was quite low but I was drinving and couldn't stop to get a better look. By the time I had turned around and drove back it was gone.

It isn't very far from the Highland cattle centre so could be one of the pair from there

Could well have been, but we also have kites in the Wylam area. Indeed there are nests all over the lower Derwent Valley! Once the chicks have fledged, we shall have more chances of seeing these majestic birds over our region - brilliant!!:t:

Kitewatch begins at the Vioaduct on the week-end 8th June...........

Could well have been, but we also have kites in the Wylam area. Indeed there are nests all over the lower Derwent Valley! Once the chicks have fledged, we shall have more chances of seeing these majestic birds over our region - brilliant!!:t:

Kitewatch begins at the Vioaduct on the week-end 8th June...........

Could you give me more info on Kitewatch please June, sounds fun

Kitewatch 2009

Could you give me more info on Kitewatch please June, sounds fun

Gateshead Council has now taken over the running of Kitewatch.

Here are the details so far:

Kitewatch
Join Rangers and kite volunteers as they are on hand to point out red kites nesting and visible from Kite Hill.

Directions from Winlaton Mill car park to Kite Hill.

Dates of Kitewatch Events

07/06/2009 - 07/06/2009 11am - 3pm
13/06/2009 - 13/06/2009 11am - 3pm
28/06/2009 - 28/06/2009 11am- 3pm
11/07/2009 - 11/07/2009 11am - 3pm

Free - Open to all, just turn up
Contact Details: Thornley Woods Visitor Centre
Tel: 01207 545212

Be sure to take your camera and binoculars - viewing can be superb!:t:

Kite Safari

Red Kite Safari

19/07/09 - 19/07/09 1pm - 4pm
A 5 mile walk looking for red kites and learning about their reintroduction to the North East. Watch these magnificent birds soar above the Derwent Valley.

Family event, book in advance
Contact Details
Tel: 01207 545212
Email: [email protected]

Price Details
£1 - Family event, book in advance

Further Details
Location: Thornley Woodlands Centre, Derwent Walk Country Park, Rowlands Gill, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, NE39 1AU

Always seem to see one when going to the car boot sale at Hexham, usually on the left hand side between Dilston and the what used to be the Old Red Lion Inn/Coaching house. (Hexham one not Corbridge). ;)

There's also been reports of a pair circling above Benfieldside and three circling above Shotley within the past week.

Kites in the region

Always seem to see one when going to the car boot sale at Hexham, usually on the left hand side between Dilston and the what used to be the Old Red Lion Inn/Coaching house. (Hexham one not Corbridge). ;)

There's also been reports of a pair circling above Benfieldside and three circling above Shotley within the past week.

Good to hear this. Hope it's okay to pass on this info to the Office.
We have a huge wall map with the nest sites and sightings logged.
Derwentside isn't far from the Stocksfield pair at the Highland Cattle Centre, or indeed Wylam. There's also the pair at Ninebanks/Allendale. Once young fledge, we shall have a much better chance of seeing them!:t:

Nice one, Mick. I like the softened foliage which gives Red Philip a frame.
May I have a high resolution for the Image Database?

I'll send it via e-mail, I've already sent you a couple of others which are interesting. I'll have a look through what I have taken and send you any which appear to be of interest.

I have taken a photograph of a young kite on a nest, the photograph was taken from a footpath and none of the birds were disturbed.

You can see the eyes and beak towards the top left between the leaves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have taken a photograph of a young kite on a nest, the photograph was taken from a footpath and none of the birds were disturbed.

You can see the eyes and beak towards the top left between the leaves.

Beautiful shot, Mick. You can definitely see the chick - let's hope there is another one too! :t:

Final post for Northern Kites

30th July marked the end of the five-year Northern Kites Project. It has surpassed all expectations. The kites have spread throughout the northern region, as well as exchanging birds with neighbouring projects in Yorkshire and Galloway.
A mural was unveiled at Tesco's Store in Rowlands Gill, as a lasting testimony and daily reminder of these majestic birds which grace our northern skies.

Everyone who sees the kites says that spirits are uplifted. Children love them!
They also bring in to the local economy £160,000 a year!

Attached are some photos of the Mural, created by Alan Mould, and its unveiling.

So ends the Project which has re-introduced over a hundred red kites. The Friends of Red Kites intend, within their means, to continue the monitoring and conservation of the kites, and to encourage more and more people to become guardians of these glorious birds!

Attachments

• Alan-M_mural_web-small.jpg
    Alan-M_mural_web-small.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 251
  • Alan-Mould_plaque--mural_we.jpg
    Alan-Mould_plaque--mural_we.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 255
  • plaque_mural_web_BF-small.jpg
    plaque_mural_web_BF-small.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 261
  • Red-Kite-Bus-_mural_web-BF-.jpg
    Red-Kite-Bus-_mural_web-BF-.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 262
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back