• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch Garten Osprey 2010 (1 Viewer)

Just been watching her doing the "pushing dance" in compacting the nesting material to her liking.

Well done EJ. Unfortunately we will not be going to the Highlands of Scotland to see her but we are staying not too far from Marge at Loch of the Lowes so will be paying her a visit instead.

Just been watching her doing the "pushing dance" in compacting the nesting material to her liking.

Well done EJ. Unfortunately we will not be going to the Highlands of Scotland to see her but we are staying not too far from Marge at Loch of the Lowes so will be paying her a visit instead.
You been there before Margaret? Its the only osprey nest i.ve visited so can't compare. All i know is i didn't need goggles to see the nest and the birds. You.ll enjoy it. Where you staying there? REASON FOR EDIT . . Blind as a bat and thought poster was Cartman. Many apologies Margaret :)

Last edited:
You been there before john? Its the only osprey nest i.ve visited so can't compare. All i know is i didn't need goggles to see the nest and the birds. You.ll enjoy it. Where you staying there?

Not sure where you got the John from, its actually Margaret.

We have been to see EJ quite a few times over the past couple of years when we have stayed in Aviemore & Boat of Garten...but I must admit I find the set up of the nest a bit spartan at Loch Garten reminds me of a telegraph pole stuck in the middle of the open land with some trees around it[yes I know in the US etc they actually make nests on the top of poles]. Loch of the Lowes nest to me is much more natural with it being in the middle of all the trees and is easier on the eye with having the loch in front of the hide. We are actually staying at a place called Alyth which is not to far from the Loch of Kinnordy so hopefully we will be seeing their summer resident Osprey as well.

Last edited:
glad she.s eating well. She may need to as the weather is taking a turn for the worse they reckon. Elf told me ej's nest was white when she checked in first thing this morning. What an extreme to go to. From Africa to snowy Scotland.

Tiger have you seen the photo of the female at the nest near Glentress from a couple of years ago where she is sitting on the eggs and is up to her neck in snow. They chicks amazingly hatched and survived.

No I have not but I would love to see it. Last month the bald eagles in the USA were often deep in snow. Wasn't the Loch of Lowes male hatched at Glentress?

I have no idea? What did I miss last year. Sometimes I walk about in my own world with blinkers on.

For a little while the male at Loch of Lowes was thought to be a son of Ollie. However it was the confusion between an 8 and B

I would have to look up the details.

now that rings a bell. We thought he may have been ollies boy but in the end did the times and place not match up. Your far more knowledgable than me though. My misspent youth has ruined my memory lol

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back