• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uk Peregrine Population Limit? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
London Birder said:
not in, nor on (which would effectively be the same in both cases) ...
Only if they were open structures. If I went for a meal in the revolving restaurant in the BT tower (if there is still such a place) and they put me outside, I would be more than a little surprised.

......still a pedant after a bottle of Red! You looking for another fight?

yeah but Peregrine is hardly likely to be nesting in the restaurant is it!

my good man, tis you who is being the pedant ... here's the low-down > they aint breeding at those sites either in, on, under, over or at any obscure angle of whose name I am unfamiliar with

London Birder said:
yeah but Peregrine is hardly likely to be nesting in the restaurant is it!

my good man, tis you who is being the pedant ... here's the low-down > they aint breeding at those sites either in, on, under, over or at any obscure angle of whose name I am unfamiliar with

..'tis I who was admitting to be the pedant! It's one of my stronger points. Anyway, if I was a Peregrine I may well choose to nest in a London restaurant, owing to its proximity to the feral pigeons on which I prey. The tips would come in useful too. Actually, scrub that, if I found myself in London with wings I'd get the f@#k out and head for the coast.

...so you've had a bottle of Red as well? Or am I once again reading too much in to your comments...

fair enough ... not even sure if that revolving restaurant is open to the public anymore as it happens.

nope, not a drop for me tonight, had a reasonable skinful last night so needed the sobriety.

MSA said:
..'tis I who was admitting to be the pedant! It's one of my stronger points. Anyway, if I was a Peregrine I may well choose to nest in a London restaurant, owing to its proximity to the feral pigeons on which I prey. The tips would come in useful too. Actually, scrub that, if I found myself in London with wings I'd get the f@#k out and head for the coast.

...so you've had a bottle of Red as well? Or am I once again reading too much in to your comments...

Would that be the 'fork' out if you were in a London restaurant?

nirofo.

Sobriety - the curse of the working classes.

Couldn't sleep, got a funeral to go to tomorrow, saw a bottle and thought "what the heck". Certain to have more tomorrow at the wake, so expect more nonsensical drivel tomorrow night!

Sleep well, enjoy your clear head, and catch you later..

Jane Turner said:
Earth to Anthony - predator prey relationships reminder!

Also I can't find an answer to my question about p****** f****** in China, Chile, Russia, Mexico etc, then again i glazed over a few pages back.

Jane,

Then bear with me just a little longer, please. I have called up the worldwide information you have asked for concerning the countries which participate in pigeon racing but it's only available in hard copy and is currently on its way to me by snail mail.

When it arrives you'll be the first to know! :flowers:

nirofo said:
It has been quoted and published that domestic cats are resposible for the deaths on average of 100 birds per cat per year, ( this was a topic discussed on a Bird Forum thread a couple of years ago). if as you say there are now 9.2 million cats, that's an average of 920 million birds per year slaughtered by cats???

I think Sparrowhawks and other Raptor kills fade into insignificance by comparison.

Makes you think doesn't it!

nirofo.

and neither have any effect of songbird populations. If AM continues with fresh line of Bull**** I will feel complelled to drag all the references out of the sparrowhawk thread.

valley boy said:
Thats it in a nutshell, those fanciers who just take the losses through whatever cause on the chin are to be applauded. They are enjoying their hobby and letting nature take its course. The other small percentage that either participate or encourage others to carry out attacks on a schedule1 or other birds just to protect their interests are the ones who need to be removed from the equation. You should enter any hobby with a full understanding of the pros and cons, in PF this means there is a high risk that you may lose birds.Just remember not every lost bird is taken by Perrys

Surely you're not trying to teach your old grandad to suck eggs again, are you? Still, at least you now seem to accept that it's only a (very, very) small percentage of pigeon fanciers at most who are ever going to fit your description. Had you started from this more balanced position, instead of trying to tar ALL pigeon fanciers with the same brush, this debate could have been resolved quite quickly in my opinion.

As to your comments about losses and your perception of what is required to become a pigeon fancier, shouldn't you be spending a little more time looking after your own corner and leaving the vast majority of pigeon fanciers to enjoy their chosen hobby without your constant sniping against them? If, as you keep telling us, you know so much about this alleged raptor persecution and those you claim are involved, why are you still unable to prevent it, or at least bring prosecutions against those responsible?

You're the one who holds the Schedule One licence allowing you access to Peregrine Falcon nest sites which other mere mortals are denied. You, and other similar licence holders, are the only ones in a position to catch those you claim are responsible. Isn't it therefore really the case that, for whatever reason and despite being a licence holder, you have systematically failed to protect the birds supposedly in your charge? And please don't point an accusing finger at pigeon fanciers who may (or then again may not!) be responsible for committing the offences you describe, because none of them are legally allowed to go anywhere near these birds as you well know.

I think a far better idea would be for you to just get on and do what you want to do, while the rest of us, including pigeon fanciers, get on and do the same. I'm confident that pigeon fanciers will know much more about the pleasures and pitfalls of their chosen hobby - and that includes predation in all its guises, some of which you probably haven't thought of!

London Birder said:
and maybe remind your cohorts (those who think raptors need controlling, if indeed you know any) that it's merely a hobby

While I concede that these one line quips of yours can be slightly irritating at times, I'm afraid they will never elevate you above the rank of 'spear carrier' in these debates.

Consider this if you will - if pigeon racing is 'merely a hobby' as you imply, how would you define bird watching? :h?:

Anthony Morton said:
if pigeon racing is 'merely a hobby' as you imply, how would you define bird watching? :h?:
It's a hobby for some, a way of life for others. Much the same as any other interest.
I do love getting in to work early and checking your early morning posts AM.
Cheers me up for the day.
Accusing VB of being negligent after a lifetime's caring. You must like making enemies.

Last edited:
Jos Stratford said:
Selective answering again Anthony - since you made an allegation against one of our members, the rest of us are still waiting for an answer. You can refresh your mind to the question if need be - post 407

On the contrary, not selective answering but more a case of ignoring rudeness - and your post #407 was downright rude!

There is, despite rumours to the contrary, just one of me and I do not employ ghost writers. It's also a very busy time down on the farms at present, so unless that nice Mr Blair introduces a 36-hour day I can only snatch what little BF time I can to try to answer as many questions as possible.

valley boy said:
ANTHONY,you still havn't answered the questions, do that and i'll let you know if i was involved with that study?

Last edited by valley boy : Today at 00:33. Reason: SPELLING AGAIN

Like the edit Valley Boy, but you still need to do it again 3:)

Anthony Morton said:
Surely you're not trying to teach your old grandad to suck eggs again, are you? Still, at least you now seem to accept that it's only a (very, very) small percentage of pigeon fanciers at most who are ever going to fit your description. Had you started from this more balanced position, instead of trying to tar ALL pigeon fanciers with the same brush, this debate could have been resolved quite quickly in my opinion.

As to your comments about losses and your perception of what is required to become a pigeon fancier, shouldn't you be spending a little more time looking after your own corner and leaving the vast majority of pigeon fanciers to enjoy their chosen hobby without your constant sniping against them? If, as you keep telling us, you know so much about this alleged raptor persecution and those you claim are involved, why are you still unable to prevent it, or at least bring prosecutions against those responsible?

You're the one who holds the Schedule One licence allowing you access to Peregrine Falcon nest sites which other mere mortals are denied. You, and other similar licence holders, are the only ones in a position to catch those you claim are responsible. Isn't it therefore really the case that, for whatever reason and despite being a licence holder, you have systematically failed to protect the birds supposedly in your charge? And please don't point an accusing finger at pigeon fanciers who may (or then again may not!) be responsible for committing the offences you describe, because none of them are legally allowed to go anywhere near these birds as you well know.

I think a far better idea would be for you to just get on and do what you want to do, while the rest of us, including pigeon fanciers, get on and do the same. I'm confident that pigeon fanciers will know much more about the pleasures and pitfalls of their chosen hobby - and that includes predation in all its guises, some of which you probably haven't thought of!
I THINK YOU MUST BE A BIT SLOW, but yet again you insist i am tarring all PF with the same brush.Where have i said they are all responsible ? Anthony i love birds and wildlife , i spend my time watching a variety of birds, i am not a paid member of any law enforcement agency. It isnt my job to try catch these people. If it was you can rest assured that there would have been more caught then there have been. I have a license because i spend years sending in records free of charge, you make out that by having one i am in some sort of priveleged position. Get real and understand what licenses are all about, not some means to have a box seat with raptors, just a legal means to disturb these birds around the nest to collect data. It doesn't mean its my responsibility to protect them, you really havnt got a clue have you , spouting off from your ivory tower, do you even keep RP or are you just some annoying j**k?You really need to take on board your advice to me and leave the Riding to the jockeys , not the stable lads.If you want to discuss schedule1 licenses phone CCW and they will explain, in simple terms, which even you should be able to digest what they are about. Do this then come back and post something relevant

London Birder said:
what I deduce Anthony is that many racers/homers simply go AWOL without receiving the attention of raptors regardless of the country of origin ... however you are correct when you say that to me a pigeon is just a pigeon, I imagine your average Peregrine see's them that way also when it requires a meal.

10 pigeons on one day to an eyrie!

WTF! I don't care who the so-called expert is, he's talking out of his rear end ... if in fact that is what he has actually stated of course?

The late Mr.Ratcliffe would be cracking up over that one.

oh, and I always do my own 'leg-work' as you so quaintly put it, and to imply otherwise is both disingenuous and snide ... how many hours have you watched and documented eyries for Anthony?

once again Anthony, this is all about racers/homers ain't it, naff all to do with the feral population as a whole but everything to do with protecting your hobby ... take up kite flying my friend, I suspect you'd be good at it.

EVERY TIME HE OPENS HIS MOUTH HE PUTS HIS FOOT IN IT!

You have the cheek to accuse me of being disingenuous and snide? I can live with that because they're just paper thin taunts of a kind often heard from a petulant child.

But to attempt to discredit the work done on Peregrine Falcons by Dr Andrew Dixon clearly shows that you are not familiar with his work, or that you have even taken the trouble to find out anything about him. Can I suggest that you carry out a bit more of the leg-work you mention as one of your attributes?

I'll wait while you catch up!

Anthony Morton said:
On the contrary, not selective answering but more a case of ignoring rudeness - and your post #407 was downright rude!

Oh funny, you already answered this post ...wasn't rude then, is now. I like it.

You, and the RPRA, spout total crap - in a matter of minutes, any person with half a brain will find factual inaccuracies, contradictions and uneducated waffle in posts by you and the website of RPRA. Oops, sorry if that comes over rude, just seems the plain truth from another angle.

Now, though you might wish to appear as thick as two short planks, I do not really believe you are - quite the contrary, I take you to be a quite bright person. So, assuming you are, I can only conclude you do actually know that half what you post is rubbish, but enjoy the little battle we play out ...all that tally ho 'n' all.

Jos Stratford said:
Last edited by valley boy : Today at 00:33. Reason: SPELLING AGAIN

Like the edit Valley Boy, but you still need to do it again 3:)
Whats the point Jos, we all know he only answers questions that dont require a serious answer. I think thats due to AM obvious lack of knowledge about whats being discussed.

AM, I'm not trying to discredit Dixons work in any shape or form, and I have indeed taken the trouble to find out about him, more disingenuous old tosh from you again, but where does he state that 10 pigeons are brought to an eyrie per day?... what I've posted comes direct from his own report!

so far the only person persistently putting there foot in there mouth is you!

and what do I define birdwatching as?

basically a hobby for most and something deeper for many, what's your point?

do you have one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back