• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

em1 and METAbones (1 Viewer)

mdb2

Hi Last week I spent a couple of hours in a hide taking photos of kingfishers using theory EM1 with metabones and sigma 500mm F4.5 shutter priority @ 1000. Hand held IS set to 500 mm. The lens is the sigma 500mm F4.5. Processed in iPhoto. The subject (kingfishers) was approx 30-40 metres away. Please check out these images @
Wingsofnature.org
Considering the distance and small size of the subject I am quite pleased with the results, they are cropped. The Metabones is not the speedbooster model. Comments welcome
Kind regards mike

Found them! click on the 'bird (lanner falcon)' image out of the 6 representing fungi etc - takes you to a further selection and click on 'passerines' to get to the next index for kingfishers, excellent pics on the 'wish I had taken them' scale.

I miss not having a river round here - must get out my old OM 500mm f8 and see what I can do with that sometime, havn't tried it on an EM1 yet, in fact its last outing was on an E-1!.

Last edited:
Found them! click on the 'bird (lanner falcon)' image out of the 6 representing fungi etc - takes you to a further selection and click on 'passerines' to get to the next index for kingfishers, excellent pics on the 'wish I had taken them' scale.

I miss not having a river round here - must get out my old OM 500mm f8 and see what I can do with that sometime, havn't tried it on an EM1 yet, in fact its last outing was on an E-1!.

Thanks found it,well worth a look.

Must be me but i could only find one Kingfisher image at this site http://www.wingsofnature.org/

Hi Mike, glad you found them, the only problem is the EM1, is where BIF has a low keeper rate! I hope that weather allowing, to try the same set up but with the inclusion of a 1.4 converter. Giving me a 1400mm field of view. However I will use a hide clamp! Hopefully this will help.
Kind regards Mike

Last edited:

Hi Iveljay,these were taken at RSPB rye meads Herts

Hi Mike, glad you found them, the only problem is the EM1, is where BIF has a low keeper rate! I hope that weather allowing, to try the same set up but with the inclusion of a 1.4 converter. Giving me a 1400mm field of view. However I will use a hide clamp! Hopefully this will help.
Kind regards Mike

Ime just thinking of moving away from a Nikon D7200 to M4/3 and was wondering if the 4k photo setting would help catch BIF,i know its only 8mb files but i only ever display on a pc screen,do you have a link for the exact adapter you use.

Hi Mike,

I used to live up in Beds just the other side of the A1 to RSPB Sandy, lots of water and a number of Kingfishers, just didn't have your patience or 10 years ago a digital slr - trying to shoot kingfishers on 800 ISO film and a very limited max aperture was a challenge I didn't take up. Just sat watching them instead. If I was still up there things might be different.

J

Last edited:
Ime just thinking of moving away from a Nikon D7200 to M4/3 and was wondering if the 4k photo setting would help catch BIF,i know its only 8mb files but i only ever display on a pc screen,do you have a link for the exact adapter you use.[/QUOTE

Hi Mike, I purchased mine from park cameras. Just to be sure I took in several EF lenses and tried them out in the shop. I think you should as well. I believe they do a Nikon version as well. The assistant was exceptionally helpful he uses OLYMPUS himself. If memory serves me well I think he was Aussie?. And was wearing an Olympus t-shirt. The link below is for the metabones site. This adapter does not have any glass does not reduce focal distance and does not alter/the F stop like the other metabones model

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_EF-m43-BT2

Kind regards Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back