• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MFT H-FS100300 Lens vs FZ330 @ 600 Equivalent Question (1 Viewer)

rka

ttbirds
Getting back to taking photos of birds in Trinidad & Tobago shortly and posting here after a bit of a hiatus.

So need to review the gear to use for taking pictures. I have MFT cameras G1 and Oly OM-D E-M5 original version with non functional Panasonic 100-300 lens.

Previously used bridge cameras also but the MFT experience was much better.

So my question is, with the current crop of bridge cameras available, how does the image and video quality compare to using MFT with one of the cheaper long zoom options (i.e. Panasonic H-FS100300 or Olympus 75-300 ii) @ 600mm.

When the Oly OM-D E-M5 + Panny 100-300 combination was working, I could easily hand hold to get decent shots @ 600mm and also with the extended zoom functionality (digital) using the in-camera cropping to effective 1200mm. However, usually at fstop 5.6.

So interested in how the above setup would compare with a camera like the FZ330/300 which has the tiny sensor but a very interesting fstop 2.8 @ 600mm.

Particularly interested also in how low light performance would compare @ 600mm with same fstop settings.

Any advice appreciated.

After looking at a few reviews and some samples of pairing the FZ330 with TCON-17, decided on the FZ330. 600mm x 1.7 = 1020mm so will have the option of optical zoom or digital zoom to reach 1000mm which is fine.

The last time I used a superzoom was when I first started taking bird pictures with the Olympus E-100RS which was a 1.5mpix / 38-380mm / 2.8-3.5 camera and attached the TCON-17 to it. Had loads of fun then many years ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back