• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible red kite in the Lincolnshire Wolds? (1 Viewer)

Crix

So on the way to work and going home last Thursday, a bird flew across the road, it was low to ground and huge. I work in the Lincolnshire Wolds and these sighting's were between Cadwell park and south Ormsby, on Bluestone Heath road. Unfortunately I was unable to get any photos as the road isn't very wide.

I was looking to see what birds are on the Lincolnshire Wolds around that area but none seem to get as big as this was. The only bird I can think of that size and close to the south of the Lincolnshire Wolds would be a red kite but I know that's a long shot.

If anyone could tell me what I saw or if you need any more information I can tell you what I know.

Thank you

So on the way to work and going home last Thursday, a bird flew across the road, it was low to ground and huge. I work in the Lincolnshire Wolds and these sighting's were between Cadwell park and south Ormsby, on Bluestone Heath road. Unfortunately I was unable to get any photos as the road isn't very wide.

I was looking to see what birds are on the Lincolnshire Wolds around that area but none seem to get as big as this was. The only bird I can think of that size and close to the south of the Lincolnshire Wolds would be a red kite but I know that's a long shot.

If anyone could tell me what I saw or if you need any more information I can tell you what I know.

Thank you

Hi Crix, I'd suggest it was maybe a Buzzard as they are pretty similar in size, a Red Kite has a very distinctive forked tail, if you saw this?

Hi Crix, I'd suggest it was maybe a Buzzard as they are pretty similar in size, a Red Kite has a very distinctive forked tail, if you saw this?

It was really low to the ground (which is why I canceled out it being a buzzard) along the road moving from a small woodland bit to farm land and back to the woodland when I was heading home, I didn't catch the shape of its tail but it was a dark brown, black colour. It's a red, brown colour mostly, which is why I thought it might of being a red kite.

Hope this helps.

The way Red Kites have spread around the country since the reintroduction schemes I would think they could show up almost anywhere. Here in N.Yorkshire they seem to pop up in new areas regularly.

The way Red Kites have spread around the country since the reintroduction schemes I would think they could show up almost anywhere. Here in N.Yorkshire they seem to pop up in new areas regularly.
You're lucky - the Gateshead reintroduction is declining and failing to spread into Northumberland. As soon as they move away from the core release area they get shot or poisoned :-C :storm:

You're lucky - the Gateshead reintroduction is declining and failing to spread into Northumberland. As soon as they move away from the core release area they get shot or poisoned :-C :storm:

Seems like it's a similar situation with the Grizedale Red Kites, not been the success story it was hoped to be.

I can confirm the kites are now seen in many parts of the country as they I receive dozens and of sightings from all over the UK (and further afield!). Unfortunately, I cannot confirm positive i.d. without photos.

Many people choose to tell of their sightings in the guest book http://redkites.net/section159274.html

Here is an example of a kite fledged from one of this years nests. This one was around 3 months old at the time I photographed it. Note the dark grey eyes, compared to the adult on the left with the more familiar yellow eye. Also note the duller darker plumage on the young kite in the first two photos.

Attachments

• IMG_5889web-young.jpg
    IMG_5889web-young.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5891Web-Young-Kite.jpg
    IMG_5891Web-Young-Kite.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5875-Web-Adult.jpg
    IMG_5875-Web-Adult.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 60
If what I saw was a red kite, I'm going to try get a dash cam and see if it flies in front of my car again. If that does happen I will post it on this thread or start another one with the footage and location. I saw a group of buzzards today circling above where I work and if they are similar in size to a red kite then I don't think it was a red kite I saw but bigger. How ever I will try get a photo of this bird if I see it again.

Thanks for the help

If what I saw was a red kite, I'm going to try get a dash cam and see if it flies in front of my car again. If that does happen I will post it on this thread or start another one with the footage and location. I saw a group of buzzards today circling above where I work and if they are similar in size to a red kite then I don't think it was a red kite I saw but bigger. How ever I will try get a photo of this bird if I see it again.

Thanks for the help
Flying Red Kites often appear bigger than they are because of their long wingspan and relatively slow wingbeat.

Flying Red Kites often appear bigger than they are because of their long wingspan and relatively slow wingbeat.

I agree. Having commuted along the M4 corridor for a long period of time in the last few years I would see dozens of them every day and sometimes they can look surprisingly big, albeit slim bodied.

If they looked bigger than buzzards then the only other possibility in that part of the country would be a Marsh Harrier. Again they can appear significantly bigger than buzzards due to their long wingspan

Red kite in Lincolnshire

Hi!
You are most likely right. I have just come home on the bus from Louth to Lincoln and I could not believe my eyes, there hovering on the roadside was a RED KITE! I looked around to see if anyone else had noticed it but no. It was so much bigger than the kestrel and had that classic give away forked tail. So when I got home I typed it in and yours was the first listing that came up.

I have since found out that it has been on the BBC news about red kite's in Lincolnshire, with other sightings.

I am now going to contact Lincolnshire Wildlife and the RSPB on the sighting.

But yes you are spot on with your sighting!:t:

Hi!
You are most likely right. I have just come home on the bus from Louth to Lincoln and I could not believe my eyes, there hovering on the roadside was a RED KITE! I looked around to see if anyone else had noticed it but no. It was so much bigger than the kestrel and had that classic give away forked tail. So when I got home I typed it in and yours was the first listing that came up.

I have since found out that it has been on the BBC news about red kite's in Lincolnshire, with other sightings.

I am now going to contact Lincolnshire Wildlife and the RSPB on the sighting.

But yes you are spot on with your sighting!:t:

AS mentioned above, I receive dozens of emails of sightings from all locations in the UK, including over Boston, Lincs, and further afield. It is not unusual these days to see kites in areas away from the core reintroduction area.

I came in to see of sitings of red kite towards the wolds. I definitely saw one today fly over my house from the church in Wragby, Lincolnshire. It was very low so I could see the markings and the tail . I have lots of buzzards at my field and have seen kites at Rutland, so was able to say it was definitely a kite.

I've seen red kites at Frampton marsh and Gibraltar Point in Lincs. I would say they are a relatively common sight in Leicestershire.

I recently went to Wales on holiday, we saw loads of red kites, especially around the Brecon beacons. It's no wonder they are spreading territories, can't wait till we get them in Sheffield :D

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back