• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon HGL 8x20 pocket. (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
I understand that if you buy these binoculars directly from Japan, their price is really lower than usual, could it really be worth these little binoculars? What about the focus wheel, its "strange" position? Could it be considered an alpha pocket? similar Leica, and Zeiss or Swaro? Thanks.
Wachi

The term "Alpha" can be a bit vague but when it comes to image quality, the Premier is still one of the best pocket binoculars out there. I've owned the 10x25 for about 8 years and it's still a great optic, capable of some very sharp views. The front focus isn't ideal but it's fairly easy to adapt to. I purchased mine right before a trip to Alaska and it didn't take much time to use the focus without thinking about it. Compared to the Ultravid and even the 8x25CL, the color is slightly warmer. The exposed objective tube ends are anodized and will chip/scratch with normal use if you let them dangle and hit anything hard. Lastly, the hinge pins seem to be soft and susceptible to bending if dropped or compressed with too much force. This of course knocks them out of collimation... which happened to mine while in their case, while in my backpack. Anyhow, not a big problem but just something to be aware of when you transport them.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back