• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Binoculars in the market? (1 Viewer)

Dalesrejo

Hi Guys, I like to watch birds. So I wanna buy a binocular. But don't know which is the best one for bird watching. Can anyone suggest me what are the best binoculars for bird watching?

Hi Guys, I like to watch birds. So I wanna buy a binocular. But don't know which is the best one for bird watching. Can anyone suggest me what are the best binoculars for bird watching?

Hi, and welcome:

Your question is one that is asked several times a week on virtually every binocular forum known to man. It is as impossible to answer today as it was decades ago—actually, more so. Here are some reasons:

— At every price point there are 200 or more brands and models each with their own strong points and weaknesses. Also, the majority of those of those 200+ binos come from less than a dozen OEMs.

— Each of those strengths and weaknesses may be seen differently by the many observers, based on their budget, visual acuity, proposed use of the instrument, belief in urban legends, and the individual’s accommodation for various aberration. AND ...

— The fact that a binocular that may be one of the contenders for that sacred—but non-existent—title may disappear without us knowing it if the manufacturer chooses to alter some aspect of design, mechanics, or AR (antireflective) coatings, usually to make it more profitable. In such a case, the name remains the same although the performance may vary considerably.

— Because MICROscopic changes in design, glass types, element spacing, baffling, and more can cause MACROscopic changes in the product, a binocular made at 9:00 a.m. one morning MIGHT NOT perform exactly the same as the “same product” made a 2:30 that afternoon.

— And the list could go on!

This forum is full of knowledgeable and friendly people. I brought up the above because I don’t think it overly helpful to waste your time by beating around the bush trying to be politically correct.

Advice:

— Above are facts that you need NOT worry about. There are plenty of observers doing that right now.
— Stop looking for the “best” binocular ... it doesn’t exist.
— It’s hard to go wrong with the BIG THREE: Zeiss, Leica, and Swarovski
— Some Asian offerings will provide quality near them at ¼ to 1/3 the cost.
— Buy a bino that provides a pleasing image TO YOU, feels good in YOUR hands, and has adequate eye relief for YOU, and fits YOUR budget.
— Use it until YOU see a REASON to change.
— MY birding binocular is an 8x32 Porro, some would say 7x42 roof, others 10x42. ‘See where that is leading?
— The birds won’t mind a bit.
— Bird watching, amateur astronomy, hunting (I say sheepishly, lest Chosan Juan chew my butt), whale watching, sport watching, theater going a binocular is a binocular, is a binocular. Of course, some are better suited for some things than others. Still, they are ALL USABLE for all the above.
— Finally, pay close attention to what Antonio told you this morning over on CN: “I do not know many quality options below $100.”

Have a great week; I’ll crawl back into my hole, now.

Bill

Last edited:
— Stop looking for the “best” binocular ... it doesn’t exist.
— It’s hard to go wrong with the BIG THREE: Zeiss, Leica, and Swarovski
— Some Asian offerings will provide quality near them at ¼ to 1/3 the cost.
— Buy a bino that provides a pleasing image TO YOU, feels good in YOUR hands, and has adequate eye relief for YOU, and fits YOUR budget.
— MY birding binocular is an 8x32 Porro, some would say 7x42 roof, others 10x42. ‘See where that is leading?
— The birds won’t mind a bit.
— Bird watching, amateur astronomy, hunting (I say sheepishly, lest Chosan Juan chew my butt), whale watching, sport watching, theater going a binocular is a binocular, is a binocular. Of course, some are better suited for some things than others. Still, they are ALL USABLE for all the above.
— Finally, pay close attention to what Antonio told you this morning over on CN: “I do not know many quality options below $100.”

This is Bill at his best.
All of his points ar SO true!!!

Canip

I recently went through a bino search too, and want to emphasize two of Bill's points. Binoculars will end up being pretty unique to each person. Some people will see small differences in color or sharpness or brightness. If you are one of those people, you might benefit from the top-tier. Otherwise, why spend the extra money? I also found that the ergonomics (size, shape, controls, eye relief) make huge differences in practice, regardless of price.

What I did was look in price brackets. I picked a few in the $400 and under range, ordered them from outlets with good returns policies, and tried them myself. I kept the best, then tried the next tier ($800), and worked my way up until I did not feel the improvement -- for my eyes -- justified the price increase.

You will also want to consider your use. How much weight and bulk do you want to lug around? Will you be looking in the far distances (e.g. 10x) or in close proximity (e.g. 7x-8x) in forest or parks? I found the 8x32 size works best for me most of the time and 10x42 for when I need more distance.

If you are new to binoculars, you might look in other threads or ask about what to look for when trying a binocular. I read a lot of reviews (like from Audubon's website) and gleaned some of what they looked for in a binocular. My experience with photography also helped some. I wrote down a small spreadsheet of the aspects I wanted to be sure I examined on each one and picked a few easy-to-look-at spots at different distances so I could compare them a bit systematically.

marc

Thank you guys for the valuable information. I want to go with either Baufut 12x42 or Nikon 7576 MONARCH 5 8x42. Any suggestions?

I started with the Monarch 5 10x42. It's a decent binocular. I like to say about the Monarch 5 that you'll love it until you try something better. The Monarch 7 is a pretty good upgrade from the 5, so if you could stretch that it's worth the money.

One of the main differences is the angle of view (how wide an area you see). The 5 is at 6.3* (degrees) and the 7 is at 8*. That's the actual field of view. It's a big difference at the same magnification. I think the 7s also have better optics, though you may or maynot notice that.

I don't have any experience with the Baufut. I don't think a 12x is a good place to start. It will be harder to see clearly because with a 12x it will be susceptible to a lot of hand shake. Start with an 8x, they are much easier to use. Or maybe a 10x if you know you'll be mostly looking at long distances.

Marc

Hello Dalesrjo,

I think that you may to need tell us about yourself: your budget, age, are you astigmatic or badly nearsighted, physical shape, where you live, northern or southern USA. Then we should know how you intend to use the binocular. Are you looking at owls, will they be used for open spaces, beaches or prairies, forested areas, hiking rough terrain,hawk watching, etc? Perhaps you just want to look at your neighbors' feeders?
A few years, ago, I bought a very nice binocular that was excellent for wooded areas for less than $300 but something close to an "all around binocular" might be rather more.

Fortunately, there a lot of good choices in today's market.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Last edited:
Hello Pinewood,

I am 25 years old teacher. My budget is around $500. I want to watch mostly birds. So which binocular is good?

I'm assuming you want the more popular roof prism design rather than the traditional porro prism. For daytime bird and other wildlife observing an 8x30 Nikon Monarch would be a good choice. Wide field of view, nice images and light weight.

Here's a link to the Monarch family. You will find better prices by shopping around.
https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/monarch/index.page

Hello Pinewood,

I am 25 years old teacher. My budget is around $500. I want to watch mostly birds. So which binocular is good?

Which? Your honest and simple question can’t be answered honestly and simply. For the cost of $500, you will have over 1,000 brands and models to choose from—many exactly the same on the inside—that, to a new observer, will compete favorably to some instruments costing 5 times as much. :cat:

Bill

Which? Your honest and simple question can’t be answered honestly and simply. For the cost of $500, you will have over 1,000 brands and models to choose from—many exactly the same on the inside—that, to a new observer, will compete favorably to some instruments costing 5 times as much. :cat:

Bill

Oh, I think we can do better than that. There are many to choose from, but it is hard to go wrong with an 8x42 or 8x32 from Nikon, or perhaps Leupold, Vortex, Vanguard, or maybe Kowa or Meopta. I could list some other established brands with good customer service, but I'd stick w/one of these unless you have a well researched and compelling need to go with something else. See if you can find an 8x42 or 8x32 in your price range from one of these brands at a local shop. If you try it and you like it (_really_ like it) get it and don't worry about what you haven't tried or considered until you have nothing better to do, or until you become obsessed w/optics like those who regularly visit this forum.

--AP

Oh, I think we can do better than that. There are many to choose from, but it is hard to go wrong with an 8x42 or 8x32 from Nikon, or perhaps Leupold, Vortex, Vanguard, or maybe Kowa or Meopta. I could list some other established brands with good customer service, but I'd stick w/one of these unless you have a well researched and compelling need to go with something else. See if you can find an 8x42 or 8x32 in your price range from one of these brands at a local shop. If you try it and you like it (_really_ like it) get it and don't worry about what you haven't tried or considered until you have nothing better to do, or until you become obsessed w/optics like those who regularly visit this forum.

--AP

Hi, Alexis:

You have offered a minimum of 12—by name, 6 each by aperture and magnification—and alluded to several more. Of course, that comment has a great deal merit. But remember his question was:

“So which binocular is good?” “WHICH,” (in a field of 200-300) as in singular and not plural.

Although often misunderstood, I just try to stir the thinking juices. Thus, why don’t you pick ONE of those you have alluded to in answering his question and stick with THAT one? From my standpoint, there are too many ever-changing variables involved. Because of this, it is my belief that a new questioner should arm himself or herself with enough background to understand the most valuable answers. One of the first is there are too many options and people to choose the answers to nail that answer down to one.

I certainly understand AND APPRECIATE everyone’s desire to welcome a new member by being politically correct. However, that doesn’t prevent the problems associated with simplistic answers; it only postpones them. Is that really fair?

I know that just about any binocular you, me, or others might mention would probably make him ecstatic. I also know everyone’s first dive into the binocular pool can be scary and frustrating. I hoped only to give a nudge in a more realistic, meaningful, and long-lasting direction.:cat:

It was just a thought.

Bill

I agree with everything everyone said. Except what would be within your budget, and keep you happy for decades, is the Meopta Meostar B1 8x32. I think there is a version of it in the 'States, made by Meopta, called Cabelas something-or-other. This will give you as good (or nearly by a whisker) a view as anything costing four times as much. It is also a lovely bino in the hand, wide field of view, and I find it a delight to use.

(P.S. Bill, OP and other fellow-teachers...Bill's signature comment is brilliant, and explains why, as I approach my seventh decade, I need a nap after work each day...)

Last edited:
Hello Pinewood,

As others have pointed out, there are lots of options. A few things you can do to help pick the best binocular for you is to look at a few questions.

Magnification. 7x, 8x, and 10x are the common. If you have unsteady hands, try a 7x or 8x. Otherwise, you will get more blur from shakes than benefit from magnification. 8x is a very common birding magnification. 10x is harder to point at the right thing, track birds, and often does not focus as closely if you want to look at a flower or butterfly nearby. If you know you're only looking at way distant things most of the time (shore birds or across the tundra in alaska, etc.) then a 10x-15x might be best, in which case maybe you want a stabilized binocular or use a support.

Objective size. 30, 32, 33, 42 are the common sizes of the lens. Bigger = brighter (for the same magnification, give or take a bit depending on components), but also heavier. You should think about how much weight you want to carry and if you'll need a very bright binocular.

The usual sizes are 8x30, 8x32, 7x42, 8x42, 10x42. Some people use a 10x32, but it might be too dim for some.

Ergonomics. Everyone's eyes and face and hands are different. I, for example, need longer eye relief (the distance the eye cups come out) to avoid blackouts when looking through them and not "hover" the binoculars away from my eyes. Once you decide on size and magnification, you can try out a few models to see which actually work best for you. Order some online and return, or go to a birding event and bug people to try their bins, or go to an optics fair, or try a local retailer (if you can find one).

Audubon has a nice Binocular Buying Guide. They don't hit all the brands, but it should give you some idea of how different models and price ranges compare. There's a lot of good options around $500.

Marc

...I think there is a version of it in the 'States, made by Meopta, called Cabelas something-or-other...

Unfortunately, with its sale to Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's now exists in name only. No more special products. No more lifetime customer satisfaction guarantee etc. The 8x32 was available on close-out for like $400 for a while, but now you'd have to get the Meopta 8x32 Meostar which is closer to $800 and so above the budget of $500.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back