• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Well done Cuba! (1 Viewer)

This is all well and good. And I would not want to diminish the significance of their action. But aren't they just doing what others have had the foresight to do years ago?

Last edited:
When I was in Cuba a couple of years ago I planned on visiting a lagoon to the East of Varaderos untill I was told the Cubans were filling part of the lagoon in to build more Hotels on! Every day there was an endless stream of trucks full of huge boulders heading in that direction. Apart from that Cuba is one of my favourite destinations.

This is all well and good. And I would not want to diminish the significance of their action. But aren't they just doing what others have had the foresight to do years ago?

No. Turtles have been a traditional food source in the caribbean for generations and although they aren't eaten that often banning hunting them is probably a pretty big deal. Here for example Leatherbacks are protected but I understand most other species are takeable in season. I know St. Vincent has a turtle season too for example.

No. Turtles have been a traditional food source in the caribbean for generations and although they aren't eaten that often banning hunting them is probably a pretty big deal. Here for example Leatherbacks are protected but I understand most other species are takeable in season. I know St. Vincent has a turtle season too for example.

Isurus,

Unfortunate to say the least. Do you happen to know if there is any "sanctioned" harvest by a Caribbean nation of any turtle species officially designated threatened or endangered by the IUCN or the CITES treaty?

Robert

Isurus,

Unfortunate to say the least. Do you happen to know if there is any "sanctioned" harvest by a Caribbean nation of any turtle species officially designated threatened or endangered by the IUCN or the CITES treaty?

Robert

I don't I'm afraid - Green and Hawksbill would be the target species these days I think. Leatherback was historically an industrial target I believe but obviously the numbers are so low these days they are left alone. I don't want to overstate the issue as turtle numbers are good in the caribbean generally and the locals don't seem that keen on harvesting them but I just thought I'd throw it out that cuba certainly isn't behind the times on turtle conservation from a regional perspective and that many islands still have a limited legal "harvest".

On a happier note we see loads of little turtles around this size
325249154_8cf5be0dac.jpg

(this was taken here last year) and there are a few absolute dinosaurs we see fairly regularly.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back