• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Killdeer nest advice? (1 Viewer)

wpascarelli

Hello,
I am new to this forum and I hope this is a good place to find information about my predicament.
My home backs up to a pond. Early every spring a pair of killdeer make a nest and lay 1 clutch of 4 eggs in my backyard. They nest within about a foot or 2 of the same spot every year, which is also about a foot and a half from the edge of the water.
Normally there are not any issues, however this year with only a couple of days to go before the eggs would likely hatch, we experienced a whole week of very heavy rains, and the water level rose incredibly high very quickly. I think 1 or 2 of the eggs may have even hatched, but any of the 1-2 day old babies plus the unhatched eggs did not survive. The adult killdeer were able to get away. A week after the storms had ended, the water was subsiding but still it was higher than it normally is. I noticed the killdeer had returned and were hanging out near the edge of the water. Soon I noticed that they had laid another batch of 4 eggs. Luckily, since then there has been very little rain and the eggs have been safe.
Again, with just days to go until hatching time, it rained heavily for a full day yesterday. The water levels were still a bit higher than normal due to the previously mentioned flooding. Because of this, the water is now starting to slightly cover the nest and the eggs are basically in a shallow layer of water. I have also noticed that the killdeer are not sitting on the eggs at the moment, but hopefully they return.
I have pushed the eggs a few inches back just so they do not totally float away in the water. Its sad because i know that these eggs are within just a few days of hatching and I do not want to lose a 2nd batch.
I am wondering if there is anything else that I could do or is it best just to leave them right where they are and hope for the best?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back