• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Insurance - Who do you use ? (1 Viewer)

Nigel G

My birding equipment is currently covered as non-specified items under my Home Contents - Personal Possessions with Lloyds TSB. As it is due for renewal next month, and following similar threads on BF, I checked the small print on the policy document to see what would happen if I lost the lot in one go - most likely through theft from (or of) the car.

The maximum claim per incident is £5K - no problem there (although if you add a DSLR and long lens(es) that wouldn't be enough for some).

The max claim per item is £2.5K - As my Swaro ELs are the most expensive individual item that should be OK (although again in due course would a DSLR + lens + TC + 2GB Card count as one item or 4)

Exclusion: Max payable claim following theft from an unattended motor vehicle £1K :-C

Having surfed the net I haven't yet found a policy that doesn't have these sorts of limits and particularly the limitations about cars. So is anyone out there using something (affordable) that genuinely provides an all risks, new for old, cover.

Insurance

Hi Nigel,
I use Golden Valley Ins, in Herts and have had several claims without problems. One being having had my telescope stolen on New Years day from the boot of my car. If you claim you pay 10% excess for damage and loss and 20% for theft from a car. I did try another company which has been debated alot on this forum, something to do with leisure and there policy is not worth the paper its written on. Not telling anybody how to suck eggs, but read the small print, at the end of the day you get what you pay for. As usual keep all your receipts and if stolen get a report number from the nearest police station.

Andy

Nigel G said:
My birding equipment is currently covered as non-specified items under my Home Contents - Personal Possessions with Lloyds TSB. As it is due for renewal next month, and following similar threads on BF, I checked the small print on the policy document to see what would happen if I lost the lot in one go - most likely through theft from (or of) the car.

The maximum claim per incident is £5K - no problem there (although if you add a DSLR and long lens(es) that wouldn't be enough for some).

The max claim per item is £2.5K - As my Swaro ELs are the most expensive individual item that should be OK (although again in due course would a DSLR + lens + TC + 2GB Card count as one item or 4)

Exclusion: Max payable claim following theft from an unattended motor vehicle £1K :-C

Having surfed the net I haven't yet found a policy that doesn't have these sorts of limits and particularly the limitations about cars. So is anyone out there using something (affordable) that genuinely provides an all risks, new for old, cover.

Nigel

Although the policy wording will show standard restrictions, some insurers will extend the maximum limit for some benefits (subject to maybe a small additional premium). Tell your insurer why you need a higher limit and they might be willing to extend. If not try others although it may be difficult to do this online as you might need to speak to them.

Nick

Nigel,

You may struggle with this one - majority of extended cover policies apply a severe restriction for theft from a motor vehicle payout.

Using the Extended Contents option is by far the most cost effective method of covering your kit as standalone prices can be very high for equivalent cover levels.

although again in due course would a DSLR + lens + TC + 2GB Card count as one item or 4)

In this scenario the component parts would be regarded as individual items for the claim (I used to work in an underwriters department for my sins)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back