• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Report images in the Gallery with the wrong scientific name (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Is there a place where one can report images in the Gallery that need changing of the scientific name? The latest example is Tyto capensis where all eight images is photographed in Phillipines and therefore have to show Eastern Grass Owl Tyto longimembris. The reason of course for the confusion is that all grass owls used to be just Grass Owl = capensis.

Cheers
Niels

I've amended the names on these. Best place for posting these changes would likely be here. I'll pick up anything added to this thread.

Don't know if this is the right place to mention this, but while editing the photo link for Chestnut-fronted Macaw - the link shows photos in the gallery of Arctic tern.

Don't know if this is the right place to mention this, but while editing the photo link for Chestnut-fronted Macaw - the link shows photos in the gallery of Arctic tern.

Lol! It brings back all sorts of spcies! In fact it looks like every gallery entry with 'several' in the text has been picked up on the search! Scientific names is Ara 'severa'!

The searches would be better if they searched only the Scientific name as they used to do. It may be one of the search issues that will be sorted with the new upgrade to the Gallery in a couple of weeks.

Lol! It brings back all sorts of spcies! In fact it looks like every gallery entry with 'several' in the text has been picked up on the search! Scientific names is Ara 'severa'!

The searches would be better if they searched only the Scientific name as they used to do. It may be one of the search issues that will be sorted with the new upgrade to the Gallery in a couple of weeks.

Ara is likely not searched for, as it only has three letters! This is one of the cases where it would be better to search for the common name.

I think that if there was a possibility for adding qualifiers to the GSearch, that would be better. By qualifiers, I mean for example "only search scientific name section" or "search for this string 'Ara severa' instead of searching for the individual words". I think limiting the GSearch to only the scientific name part means that GSearch cannot be used in the Location section.

By the way, about a week ago, clicking the link for great blue heron produced several Great egret with the wrong scientific name.

Cheers
Niels

I've changed it to search by the English name instead, which appears to have solved the problem.

Can we use this thread to report good images without a scientific name? For example, IvoZafirov has a nice image of a Lizard Buzzard Kaupifalco monogrammicus at http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=71282, but a Gallery search from Opus would not pick it up.

Thanks for that Alan, I've amended the name :t:

Yes, this thread is the ideal place for these.

I've located c.20 new photos of species new to Opus over the last week just by going through particular Member's Galleries and adding and/or amending scientific names. It's a real shame the search links aren't set up for common name as well - though even that wouldn't pick them all up.

At least it's a little project to keep me busy now I'm retired ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back