• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID help/confirmation northern Spain (1 Viewer)

thomasclark1985

Hi,

I could do with some help/confirmation on these. First of all, they are not the best quality pics. They were taken in Somiedo & Picos de Europa.

1) Juvenile Dunnock (Hoping for Alpine Acentor, but I think I might be pushing my luck a bit too far!)

2) Serin.

3) A very long distance shot of a what I think is a Sandwich Tern, it was a fair few miles out to sea off of Santander. I'm not expecting much from this terrible shot!

4 + 5) Are these both female Pied Flycatchers?

Many thanks,

Tom

Attachments

• P1040378.JPG
    P1040378.JPG
    550 KB · Views: 163
  • P1040374.JPG
    P1040374.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 117
  • P1040096.JPG
    P1040096.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 161
  • P1040172.JPG
    P1040172.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 131
  • P1040925.jpg
    P1040925.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Unsure of the tern species, I just cannot get enough on the photo to confirm your thought.
Agree with the others, though Autumn Pied Flycatchers can be tricky. You need prolonged good views or a good set of images to distinguish age and sex.

Birds of prey

6) Hobby?

7 + 8) Sparrowhawk?

9 + 10) I have almost no experience with harriers, but I'll take a shot at a dark female Montagu's?

Many thanks,

Tom

Attachments

• P1040933.JPG
    P1040933.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 134
  • P1040521.JPG
    P1040521.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 97
  • P1040520.JPG
    P1040520.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 74
  • P1040929.JPG
    P1040929.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 149
  • P1040927.JPG
    P1040927.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Unsure of the tern species, I just cannot get enough on the photo to confirm your thought.
Agree with the others, though Autumn Pied Flycatchers can be tricky. You need prolonged good views or a good set of images to distinguish age and sex.

Thanks Pyrtle, I didn't know that about Flycatchers I'll pay much more attention next time, and try to get better shots rather than just presuming they are all females! It did stump me when I was there, thinking "where are the males???".

Cheers

Thanks Tom. There had been a Kestrel about, so you might be right, I just didn’t get that impression when watching the bird. It was all a bit of a panic when I took the photo, I went from just having seen a single Griffon Vulture in a few hours of walking, to all of a sudden there being Short-toed, Golden Eagle, Kestrel, Montagu’s, Sparrowhawk and what I thought might be a hobby, all within 2 minutes!

Tom

Thanks Tom. There had been a Kestrel about, so you might be right, I just didn’t get that impression when watching the bird. It was all a bit of a panic when I took the photo, I went from just having seen a single Griffon Vulture in a few hours of walking, to all of a sudden there being Short-toed, Golden Eagle, Kestrel, Montagu’s, Sparrowhawk and what I thought might be a hobby, all within 2 minutes!

Tom

:eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!:

You saw ALL those raptors in a span of two minutes??! WOW!! I'd consider myself very lucky if I saw all of those in the same calendar year! Congrats :)

:eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!:

You saw ALL those raptors in a span of two minutes??! WOW!! I'd consider myself very lucky if I saw all of those in the same calendar year! Congrats :)

Thanks, yes it was a manic few minutes - compared to the previous few hours. Unfortunately we were in a rush as well, and there were birds of prey popping up all over the place, compared to my 1 buzzard a day I get in the UK! I was a bit gutted I had to leave!

The tern, IMO, is Gull-Billed.
The Montagu's looks like one (count the primary tips in 1st pic?) But i'd like to think about that more.
The 2nd pic, with full crop, reminds me of Marsh H. There's moult detail in the spread wing, and a pale leading edge to wing arm? Think there's enough for somebody here...
Pretty sure about the GBT id though! ;)

Last edited:
Phil,
Can I recap please. Does your post suggest photo 9 is a Montague's and 10 is a Marsh Harrier?
Thanks.

Last edited:
I’m not sure, is the honest answer. There were lots of birds of prey within a short period, and these 2 photos were next to each other in the camera timeline, so I assumed they were. But taking a closer look, I think they may not be. Sorry that’s not much help.

Tom

I’m not sure, is the honest answer. There were lots of birds of prey within a short period, and these 2 photos were next to each other in the camera timeline, so I assumed they were. But taking a closer look, I think they may not be. Sorry that’s not much help.

Tom

on both pics you can see 4-5 juvenile (brownish in second pic) and all dark moulted inner primaries, that surely must be the same bird

I do think images 9 and 10 are different birds and species. 9 has the outline and profile of a Montague's whereas 10 has a wider hand, inner wing and shorter tail together with a more uniform overall colouring. The latter also displays a broader upper wing panel, consistent with Marsh.
However, the original poster does not recall seeing Marsh Harrier nor much experience with harriers. Certainly possible that both species could have been encountered.

Last edited:
on both pics you can see 4-5 juvenile (brownish in second pic) and all dark moulted inner primaries, that surely must be the same bird

I thought it was when I uploaded the photos from my camera, and from my memory of the day. But when being questioned, I’ll edge on the side of caution and say I can’t be 100% on it.

Thanks everyone.

Phil,
Can I recap please. Does your post suggest photo 9 is a Montague's and 10 is a Marsh Harrier?
Thanks.

They look very much that way to me IMHO. Although, if you squint in the right way? Pic 9 is spot-on for a Nightjar. :-O

PS I think the "Sun-Angle" has created those white bands on the wings and tail. And made the rest look dark at the same time...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back